Remission

Wendyjoy

I’m so happy… was diagnosed October 20 as type 2 with a blood count of 107.
By January 21 I was down to a blood count of 41.
Slowly reduced Metformin from 3 to 2 to 1 tablets a day.
I’ve just completed a 3 month trial with no medication and results have stayed at 41.
I will now be shown on records as in remission and just have yearly blood tests.

LINMARIE

I’ve just completed a 3 month trial with no medication and results have stayed at 41.
I will now be shown on records as in remission and just have yearly blood tests.

Hi Wendy this is exactly the news I needed to hear!!. Well done so happy for you. I have a reading of 51 (was yours the A1C reading of 107)? I was told December 21 I had diabetes but decided not to take the Metorformin (lowest dose) and I am into 2 weeks of a radical change of diet and yesterday I have lost 10 pounds already. I had previously had a reading of A1C 52 last May and embarked on completely the wrong diet a WW one which had been successful many years ago in me losing over 2 stone over a year but it was a pointingsysem and allowed treats but completely the wrong diet for anybody diabetic so I basically wasted 8 months but I did lose a bit of weight and come down a point. The nurse said yes don't take the Metorformin as she could see that I am determined and anyway it has been a massive shock and life changing few weeks for me and this gives me such hope as the first week of being told I was in complete shock and didn't have a clue what to do or even what to eat so after 3 days of solid research and many tears I realised big time that what I was doing was eating low fat but not taking note of the amount of carbs and treats but my mantra is onwards and upwards (well downwards on blood readings) ha ha. Any tips you might be able to give? did you find it hard say 3 months into your eating programme and was it anything in particular that you found what you ate had a good result on your finger prick tests? I am so new to this and want to absorb as much positive information as I can - thanks

Well done again

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's a wonderful reward for what must have been hard work and considerable discipline. This will make the most profound difference your health and future, congratulations!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems to be up to the individual practice.
I've read posts in here where people have been marked in remission with a single <48 A1c.
I even read posters who have been given 3 months to get their >48 A1c back in line before a formal diagnosis.
Then there's some who've had 10 years of A1cs in the low 30s & no mention of remission.
Btw well done, great work.

LINMARIE

Seems to be up to the individual practice.
I've read posts in here where people have been marked in remission with a single <48 A1c.
I even read posters who have been given 3 months to get their >48 A1c back in line before a formal diagnosis.
Then there's some who've had 10 years of A1cs in the low 30s & no mention of remission.
Btw well done, great work.

Hi Ronan
Your readings are what I am hoping to achieve (but my weight is a little different to yours - was last week 13.3 stone and in 2 weeks got to 12 stone 7. Can I ask was you on Metorformin?. I was given the lowest dose but decided I did not want to start it yet and said I would if in 3-6 months my stats hadnt changed or got worse because I am giving my diet and lifestyle changes a complete overhaul. Also a bit confused is HC AC1 52 or 51 actually diabetic? or pre-diabetic ? but then saw the word "boarder line" in another post so is that the same as pre-diabetic? Thanks

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ronan
Your readings are what I am hoping to achieve (but my weight is a little different to yours - was last week 13.3 stone and in 2 weeks got to 12 stone 7. Can I ask was you on Metorformin?. I was given the lowest dose but decided I did not want to start it yet and said I would if in 3-6 months my stats hadnt changed or got worse because I am giving my diet and lifestyle changes a complete overhaul. Also a bit confused is HC AC1 52 or 51 actually diabetic? or pre-diabetic ? but then saw the word "boarder line" in another post so is that the same as pre-diabetic? Thanks

Luckily I never took Net or any diabetes drug.
The weight loss did it for me & a little bit of walking.

On the pre-diabetes thing I think this chart explains it.

R.6dd220197aa736407dee192d2918d64c

So an A1c of 52 is just into the full blown diabetes spectrum.
Or as I read one doctor put it, "a little bit diabetic"

Wendyjoy

Hi Wendy this is exactly the news I needed to hear!!. Well done so happy for you. I have a reading of 51 (was yours the A1C reading of 107)? I was told December 21 I had diabetes but decided not to take the Metorformin (lowest dose) and I am into 2 weeks of a radical change of diet and yesterday I have lost 10 pounds already. I had previously had a reading of A1C 52 last May and embarked on completely the wrong diet a WW one which had been successful many years ago in me losing over 2 stone over a year but it was a pointingsysem and allowed treats but completely the wrong diet for anybody diabetic so I basically wasted 8 months but I did lose a bit of weight and come down a point. The nurse said yes don't take the Metorformin as she could see that I am determined and anyway it has been a massive shock and life changing few weeks for me and this gives me such hope as the first week of being told I was in complete shock and didn't have a clue what to do or even what to eat so after 3 days of solid research and many tears I realised big time that what I was doing was eating low fat but not taking note of the amount of carbs and treats but my mantra is onwards and upwards (well downwards on blood readings) ha ha. Any tips you might be able to give? did you find it hard say 3 months into your eating programme and was it anything in particular that you found what you ate had a good result on your finger prick tests? I am so new to this and want to absorb as much positive information as I can - thanks

Well done again

Wendyjoy

Hi Linmarie. Just keep at it. I initially went strictly as low carb as I could. Literally no potatoes,bread, pasta or rice. They weight came off rapidly. In total I lost 4 stone in 12 months.
Although I’d like to lose 1 more stone, I’m happy to do that slowly over the next year. ( we’re never happy are we. Lol )
Once my readings came down to 41 I started introducing one slice of brown seedy bread a day to my diet. (You need some carbs)
I eat nothing low fat. I eat meat, fish, cheese, loads of veg, limited fruit… mainly berries, have single cream in my coffee and lashings of butter on my toast. I avoid any thing in a tin and anything highly processed. My weakness which I snack on are cocktail sausages.
Luckily my cholesterol levels are good. It is a whole lifestyle change but so worth it. My eyesight is better than it’s been for years and I feel so much better. You’ll get there. Well done on what you’ve done so far!

Wendyjoy

Hi Linmarie. Just keep at it. I initially went strictly as low carb as I could. Literally no potatoes,bread, pasta or rice. They weight came off rapidly. In total I lost 4 stone in 12 months.
Although I’d like to lose 1 more stone, I’m happy to do that slowly over the next year. ( we’re never happy are we. Lol )
Once my readings came down to 41 I started introducing one slice of brown seedy bread a day to my diet. (You need some carbs)
I eat nothing low fat. I eat meat, fish, cheese, loads of veg, limited fruit… mainly berries, have single cream in my coffee and lashings of butter on my toast. I avoid any thing in a tin and anything highly processed. My weakness which I snack on are cocktail sausages.
Luckily my cholesterol levels are good. It is a whole lifestyle change but so worth it. My eyesight is better than it’s been for years and I feel so much better. You’ll get there. Well done on what you’ve done so far!

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Congratulations @Wendyjoy absolutely stunning results, I'm sure your post will be inspirational to people who are struggling or newly diagnosed

I started introducing one slice of brown seedy bread a day to my diet. (You need some carbs)

You have done the hard work and if you feel you want to introduce some carbs back into your diet of course that's fine. But don't do it because you think we need carbs, of the three main food groups, only protein and healthy fats are essential, carbs we can do without.

Reactions: Wendyjoy

KateS14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's fantastic @Wendyjoy

Really impressive and this is the sort of story that was such an inspiration to me when I was starting out on this diabetes journey.

Reactions: Oldvatr

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is quite uplifting to read. Congratulations

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!

LINMARIE

Hi Wendy thank you for your informative reply. I have been 2 weeks on the proper low cab high protein diet and a week on my own version before I could get my books in and read up as much as possible (diagnosed 3 days after Christmas) and so far a stone and a bit has been shed!! I am so in the zone with this and pleased I did not start the Metorformin. I am hoping to lose another stone within the next 6 weeks and have introduced a light bit of exercise of walking and getting up a speed if I can and either a bit of indoor cycling or moving to music. I am feeling positive and hoping that when I see the endrocologist who diagnosed me as pre-diabetic last May (reading of HBA1C 52) but came down to HBA1C 51 six months later I am so hoping that I will be in the 40's. Can I ask as I have seen others on here saying they put cream in their coffee!! do you know if that is possible as that would be a real treat to me (I would use one of those low fat Emelee ones) and I only have 1 coffee a day anyway as I have made myself drink herbal teas now or just plain water. In fact I have been a bit obsessing on what I can or cannot drink really and would love a glass of something fizzy but not sure what to put with fizzy water as read that fruit juices are a no go does that mean those Robinson fruit juices with low sugar on the front of the bottle or a Ribenna with no added sugar or are they referring to the cartons of fruit juices you usually have with breakfast can I ask what do you drink. I have put the lemons in the water but at least my 2 cups of tea a day are warming and look forward to them haha - its amazing how much I took for granted before all this happened. I hope all is going well on your side

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Can I ask as I have seen others on here saying they put cream in their coffee!! do you know if that is possible as that would be a real treat to me (I would use one of those low fat Emelee ones) and I only have 1 coffee a day anyway as I have made myself drink herbal teas now or just plain water.

Have you got a link to the emelee cream? My googling is failing me so I suspect there may be a spelling mistake. Low fat alternatives often have carbs to replace the fats so you may be better off just going with traditional cream, which has almost no carbohydrates.... (0.4g per tablespoon).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you got a link to the emelee cream? My googling is failing me so I suspect there may be a spelling mistake. Low fat alternatives often have carbs to replace the fats so you may be better off just going with traditional cream, which has almost no carbohydrates.... (0.4g per tablespoon).
I think they are referring to Elmlee, but that isn't cream - it is some sort of processed oil concoction like margarine just in a liquid form.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's Elmlea, and isn't natural cream at all. Highly processed rubbish.
@LINMARIE just add ordinary cream, double or single to your coffee. You've done well with your learning so far but have a way to go to learn that certain fats are good and healthy for us, contrary to what we've been told for decades. Keep reading and learning. It takes time to absorb it all

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: EllieM

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only