Reversing Diabetes Online Summit

trotskyite

Just to condense a bit all of the information contained in the links above for people with less time on their hands than me :-Yes your susceptibility to liver and pancreas fat and how it affects your individual glucose metabolism is key to this. All true type 2s have fatty liver and pancreas and it is your personal fat threshold that decides when, if ever, you get type2. (But remember possibly as as high as 25% of type2s are misdiagnosed and will have another less common form of diabetes which will not be reversed by fat loss)
As it is stated, in review, some will get diabetes2 with 12% fatty liver etc others with 6% others will not get it with 18% that sees to be genetic. Abnormal intra-organ fat storage usually corresponds, in most ,people with being overweight or obese but can be seen at low bmi (21) in some people esp east asians and africans. It should be remembered that even at normal bmi you can still have up to 24kg of viseral fat.
Also it is mentioned that the 600/800kcal diet was purely to test a hypothesis as to why people who had bariatric surgery seemed to lose their diabetes. It is not needed and a 1200kcal/day or higher would be more appropriate for most. The average amount of weight loss shown to reverse diabetes was 20% when at an "obese" BMI of 31(aprox 25kg for a 5ft11man) but at low BMI it may only be 4-5kg.

Reactions: 12 people

trotskyite

Now I could get really quite irritated. Nice value judgement there spiker.

It is my belief that for anyone to develop T2 diabetes there must be some form of genetic predisposition, otherwise everyone with love handles, a muffin-top or beer belly would be on Metformin, and they're not. Conversely, not everyone with T2 is or was overweight.

Gross generalisations aren't helpful.

I think it's time for my swim. I may just swim further and faster today, so there'll be an up-side after all.

There was no value judgement or argument there. The links above clearly state you do not have to be overweight to get type2 (just to be adversely affected by intra-organ fat storage) and that you are correct that you must have a genetic predisposition to get it, as most people with fatty livers are never affected.

Reactions: 8 people

trotskyite

Another link for health professionals. You may have to say you are a Dr to read this.

Prof Gerald H Tomkin of the Diabetes Institute of Ireland examines how he can now tell many of this patients that weight reduction and exercise may lead to the reversal of their diabetes through recovery of their beta cells.

"Reversing diabetes
The final result that made me and many others sit up and take notice was the demonstration that the beta cell recovered not partially, but completely and even the first-phase insulin release returned to normal, so the patients really did reverse their diabetes. This article was of such interest that it made headlines in daily newspapers around the world."
http://www.imt.ie/clinical/2012/07/type-2-diabetes-—-is-it-a-disease-of-the-fat-cell.html

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trotsky - it's very noble of you to respond on spiker's behalf, but if I was being unfair, or judgemental myself, then I apologise.

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Now I could get really quite irritated. Nice value judgement there spiker.

It is my belief that for anyone to develop T2 diabetes there must be some form of genetic predisposition, otherwise everyone with love handles, a muffin-top or beer belly would be on Metformin, and they're not. Conversely, not everyone with T2 is or was overweight.

Gross generalisations aren't helpful.

I think you did get up on the wrong side of the bed. There's no value judgement (unless you think calling T2 a "problem" is a value judgement?). There's no generalisation, I'm reporting what the article says. Nothing I said, or that the article said, conflicts with your points. It confirms there is a necessary genetic predisposition and confirms that by no means all T2s are overweight, and vice versa. It confirms that being overweight as such is *not* the cause of T2, even in those genetically predisposed to it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i agree that not all diabetics are obese, but there are many who are fito. these are the people who need to reduce the fats within. carb and fructose creates vldl which can be easily store as fate in the liver and pancreas.

Reactions: 2 people

trotskyite

On a related topic, anyone interested in reversing fatty liver through diet (regardless of their weight) could do worse than to follow the advice of Sandra Cabot's book on the subject or to read this blog post:

http://hopefulgeranium.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/fatty-liver-and-its-treatment.html

It's also useful to know that the first fat that is used when you go on any hypo-caloric diet is from the liver. This lowers fasting blood sugars as when the liver becomes less fat it also becomes less resistant to any insulin that you may be producing.
Interesting article below about the liver.

"When we look at our blood lipid profile, fasting glucose, or insulin, what we're seeing is largely a snapshot of our liver function. Does no one talk about this or am I just late to the party here?! "
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ie/2008/04/liver-your-metabolic-gatekeeper.html

delaware

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
diabetes is reversable,all it takes is the right foods and regular exersize, the medical world wouldn't make a profit if ppl would wisen up more and stop being so scared.

the reason why so many ppl are brainwashed these days is cause they believe every word a doctor tells them to do but the truth is that a doctor is mainly there to prescribe meds, if the doctor was truly honest he would not advise to take any meds when diagnosed with diabetes type 2.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's not a question of doctors' honesty. Most doctors are simply not informed or aware of the possibility of drug free treatment for Type 2 diabetes.

delaware

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not a question of doctors' honesty. Most doctors are simply not informed or aware of the possibility of drug free treatment for Type 2 diabetes.

a doctor should now how to make the cells more insuline receptive without medication, it doesn't take an education to figure that out, all it takes is common sense.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
A summit run by a chiropractor featuring various "Drs" who seem to disagree about which of their own "patented" diet plans reverses diabetes and including a blogger who clearly states reversal is impossible???

My advice would be to go here and hear a lecture by the fantastic Prof Roy Taylor showing and explaining the true science behind diabetes reversal to the "Foundation of European Nurses in Diabetes" conference 2012

Eating Through The Myths: Food, Health and HappinessTaylor, Prof. R., Berlin, 28-Sep-12
http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94

Hey @trotskyite, you were right. I stand corrected, this is an awesome video and Prof Taylor is fantastic.

Thanks for posting.

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
doctors were taught to consider diabetes as chronic disease. they are honest with you best to their knowledge. the reversal is relatively new theory. they would not dare to suggest it to you. if it did not worked, (in case of lada and mody) they feared being sue.

delaware

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
doctors were taught to consider diabetes as chronic disease. they are honest with you best to their knowledge. the reversal is relatively new theory. they would not dare to suggest it to you. if it did not worked, (in case of lada and mody) they feared being sue.

you don't understand that a doc is there to make money and the way to make money is to prescribe medication drugs, it's not a theory that diabetes is reversable, i know a woman in real life who has reversed it, and there are thousands of others who did including me..the sad thing is that most ppl believe every word a doc says..when it comes to diabetes most docs do NOT help the patients, they just prescribe drugs like metformin wich will never really help..it will control and make things worse in the long run till insuline injection is needed

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
you don't understand that a doc is there to make money and the way to make money is to prescribe medication drugs, it's not a theory that diabetes is reversable, i know a woman in real life who has reversed it, and there are thousands of others who did including me..the sad thing is that most ppl believe every word a doc says..when it comes to diabetes most docs do NOT help the patients, they just prescribe drugs like metformin wich will never really help..it will control and make things worse in the long run till insuline injection is needed

i must admit diabetes is one of the most profitable disease for the big pharmaceutical firm. all the complication which comes with it are indeed the future of these firm. ironic things i that these companies are tied up with food industries.

sorry if i offended anyone of you with my frankness. i think the next is the breakfast thing. i realize that there are a lot of cereal breakfast commercials in the morning of weekend on the kids channel. with parent so used to these sugary breakfast for kids, many adults are also taking the same breakfast as their kids. when these kids becomes so used to the heavy sugar of breakfast, it seems that it is difficult for them to withdraw from it.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Actually according to Prof Taylor in his presentation to FEND, 50% of patients who approached their health care team to support a type 2 diabetes reversal diet, were supported. Half weren't, but that's still much better support than I would have expected.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

anecdotes.jpg

Reactions: 5 people

trotskyite

http://www.imt.ie/clinical/2013/09/balancing-treatment-and-lifestyle-in-type-2-diabetes.html
"This year, betatrophin has been discovered — a hormone expressed mostly in liver and fat that stimulates beta cell proliferation, expands beta cell mass and improves glucose tolerance in a mouse model."
"They also found a reduction of fat around the beta cell, a new finding of uncertain importance. However, a plausible theory is that fat in the vicinity of the beta cell, and in particular cholesterol, may be easily oxidised and the release of free radicals contributes to damage to the beta cell.

In this regard, a gene variant CDKAL1, a gene associated with protein translation, has been associated with a beta cell that has been shown to be very sensitive to oxidation and is associated with a feeble insulin response. Beta cells have the ability to regenerate and early and intensive reduction in blood sugar has been shown to improve beta cell function."