RH Life.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I hope not Nosher. We wait ages for these appointments and build our hopes up so much, it can be somewhat devastating when we don't come away with positive answers.

I'm feeling marginally better thanks. Fasted again this morning and once again my bloods stayed around mid 4's but I don't feel good at those levels. There's no way I could do that on a normal morning!

I felt hungry around 5pm and needed something a little more substantial (my level was 5.0). My husband made me a poached egg on a very small slice of Bergen toast and within an hour I was only 4.5! I wasn't shaky and I didn't eat for another half hour or so just to see if I would hypo and I didn't. Odd reading though.

Hey ho! I get weird readings when I'm not I'll so I shouldn't be at all surprised!

I expected my levels to be higher since I'm fighting a bug but they've been the opposite.

About the footie.....I've been a Leicester City fan for years. Was a member from the age of 12 and. Season ticket holder from 17 ish. I had to give my season ticket up when my oldest was 2. I gave up my job to stay at home with her so money was a bit tight and weekends were the only time we had to spend doing family stuff. I do miss it though, especially this season! My mum still goes with a couple of friends and the atmosphere is amazing every match .

Did you go to Wembly 2001? Cup final v Tranmere.
Been to Filbert st. We're Eric Nixon punched David Speedie and got himself sent off, we lost in a play semi final at your place.
Not been to King power stadium, would like to if we play you.

Glad you are feeling better.

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you go to Wembly 2001? Cup final v Tranmere.
Been to Filbert st. We're Eric Nixon punched David Speedie and got himself sent off, we lost in a play semi final at your place.
Not been to King power stadium, would like to if we play you.

Glad you are feeling better.
I did indeed! Leicester won 2-1. Matt Elliott scored both goals for City.

The King Power is a good/nice ground but I always thought Filbert Street had a better atmosphere somehow. The facilities were rubbish though in comparison! Had some good times at Filbert street

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I did indeed! Leicester won 2-1. Matt Elliott scored both goals for City.

The King Power is a good/nice ground but I always thought Filbert Street had a better atmosphere somehow. The facilities were rubbish though in comparison! Had some good times at Filbert street

I still get a buzz when I watch David Kelly's goal.
Least said about the result the better!

That's why you don't see much of me at weekends.
There is a footie thread on here.

Reactions: 2 people

DanteNXS

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Health issues, uneducated doctors, and reality TV
I am on a keto diet of very, very low carb. I think anything over a few mgs of carb effects me. I live mainly on meat and salad veg, I can't do dairy except full fat Greek yogurt. I'm ok with small pieces of fruit, I eat nuts. I love eggs, so I can have a full English as in bacon eggs, mushrooms, toms, black pudding. And of course omelette. So I eat little and often every two to three hours, I have to eat very small plate sizes, since losing all the weight, in fact I can't eat a lot of food now all in one go.
I don't do supplements, I can't help there, I don't need them, especially now, that I'm fit and healthy because of the way I eat and all my symptoms going.
My blood glucose levels are always in ketosis. I don't shift them at all out of normal range, this helps in not getting fluctuating blood glucose levels, this alleviates the symptoms. I have great energy and I am fit and healthy. I work full time.
I do intermittent fasting, as my bloods don't move, when fasting.
This helps with weight loss, consistent eating and saves money.
I buy and me or the wife cook everything from natural foods, curry, soup, stews and the like. I only use natural fat in cooking. No vegetable oils and the like.
That's me and my (obsessive) lifestyle.
It works for me!

Can you explain what "My blood glucose levels are always in ketosis" means?

Note: I bought a BG monitor yesterday and started testing this morning. I am not able to fast throughout the night, as the body shakes wake me up and eat a small low carb snack. But my morning BG was 100, 30 minutes after eating it was 100, and then 30 minutes after that is was 104, then 104, and 106. Is this normal, or maybe a defective monitor? I had to take the BG test a few times, as I think I was doing it wrong, and the readings were very low, probably due to being new at it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In ketosis means, that I get my energy from my own reserves rather than food particularly carbs. That's not the scientific version but it will do.
100 converted is roughly between 5-6 mmols which is in the normal range.
The conversion is for each mmols it is eighteen on your metre.
So for 4 mmols it is 72
5mmols is 90,
6mmols is 108
Anything around or below 65 (3.5) i would consider a hypo.
The best way to test is pre meal, then one hour, then two hours.
Obviously cost comes into it, but bear with it, you will learn so much about yourself and what you can or cannot eat.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just continuing with the thread, to say another hotel and another chef that agreed to talk and cook something special for me.
This hotel even had full fat Greek yogurt.
So I filled up at breakfast, which was huge for me. The usual traditional British breakfast of back, egg etc. And then yogurt and summer fruit.
Lots of tea, brilliant!

After my worst night for a long time Thursday, I struggled all day Friday, but was fresh as a daisy Saturday and Sunday, but I've had long sleeps both nights and as a result my energy levels were good. I think a bad night takes time to catch up with yourself when you have them.
How did I cope with it all? When I had them all the time. No wonder, I didn't know what was going on, just coping!

I have found a different breakfast, especially if I'm off work or not fasting.
Mushrooms, onions, one egg mixed in with chopped fresh tomatoes, add bits of meat or whatever! Just to fill the (frying) pan. In goose fat or coconut oil. Don't forget to season. Cook till it's just started to soften and eat. It just makes a change from bacon or yoghurt or omelette!

I suppose it's along the lines of bubble and squeak. But I don't like warm ups!

I've been really researching the role insulin has on our bodies and I will do a thread, on how it relates to us RH ers and to a certain extent other types, possibly, about my research.

Off to work soon, will catch up later.

Please, take five minutes, you lot, to let us know how you are and what you are up to.
We need input, so we can understand.
The more you post the more the newbies will want to join in.

Best wishes to all. Be in control, be well!

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a very busy morning, so I must be getting over my bug at last. By lunchtime I had showered, put a load of washing in, took my oldest to school, pegged washing out, prepared dinner and got it in the slow cooker, washed up, emptied the dishwasher, done the supermarket shop and put it all away! Phew it's making me tired just typing this!

Here's hoping I don't suffer for it later as I seem very prone to hypo's at the minute.

My Freestyle Libra has arrived this morning. I won't be using it until after the bank holiday weekend as we're going away. I must admit I feel a little excited and nervous all at the same time. In some ways it'll be good to see what is happening to my bs without the constant finger pricking. I'm hoping it gives me a few answers and enables me to better understand my condition and my personal reaction to certain foods etc. On the other hand there is a side of me that thinks "what you don't know you can't worry about!". I'm not sure I want to know what's happening while I'm asleep for instance. Although I have told myself that whatever is happening has been happening for a long time and I'm still here fighting!

All the best to you all.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Had a very busy morning, so I must be getting over my bug at last. By lunchtime I had showered, put a load of washing in, took my oldest to school, pegged washing out, prepared dinner and got it in the slow cooker, washed up, emptied the dishwasher, done the supermarket shop and put it all away! Phew it's making me tired just typing this!

Here's hoping I don't suffer for it later as I seem very prone to hypo's at the minute.

My Freestyle Libra has arrived this morning. I won't be using it until after the bank holiday weekend as we're going away. I must admit I feel a little excited and nervous all at the same time. In some ways it'll be good to see what is happening to my bs without the constant finger pricking. I'm hoping it gives me a few answers and enables me to better understand my condition and my personal reaction to certain foods etc. On the other hand there is a side of me that thinks "what you don't know you can't worry about!". I'm not sure I want to know what's happening while I'm asleep for instance. Although I have told myself that whatever is happening has been happening for a long time and I'm still here fighting!

All the best to you all.

It's good to be busy as it takes your mind off the constant reminder of what is happening.
It could be that having the monitor may ask questions that will give you the confidence to keep battling and no matter what, this thing won't beat you.
It could be really good news that your bloods aren't that bad and you will be able to track when you feel wobbly!
Hope you enjoy your weekend away. Maybe we might, might get some spring weather! Here's hoping!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Day off and just enjoyed fish as my first meal of the day.
Really good these days off, haven't had many lately!
As @Kaz261 is away I'm back to work tomorrow and all over the weekend.
End of the footie season this weekend for me and I'm looking forward to the two games.
Just gonna put my feet up and chill to my music, while watching the sport tonight and of course keeping my eye out for posts in the RH forum.

Best wishes to all.

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Day off and just enjoyed fish as my first meal of the day.
Really good these days off, haven't had many lately!
As @Kaz261 is away I'm back to work tomorrow and all over the weekend.
End of the footie season this weekend for me and I'm looking forward to the two games.
Just gonna put my feet up and chill to my music, while watching the sport tonight and of course keeping my eye out for posts in the RH forum.

Best wishes to all.
Enjoy your chilled out evening and the footie. I'm sure you're already well aware of this, but we just need to best Manchester United on Sunday and the title is ours!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Enjoy your chilled out evening and the footie. I'm sure you're already well aware of this, but we just need to best Manchester United on Sunday and the title is ours!

Oh yeah! Only!

We have to beat Grimsby and Braintree lose and we sneak into the playoffs!
Only!

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol! I never said it was going to be easy!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Had my first ever blood surge from adrenaline today.
A huge black cat, crossed my path and scared me out of my wits, I nearly had an accident!
Anyway I felt wobbly for ten minutes, so I sat down and had a cuppa, my work colleague even though he was still laughing, said I'd gone pale! Didn't feel like eating!
Felt a bit rough for a short while after but once I'd settled down, I was back to normal.
Full of energy for work.
And kids footie later.
Won 4-1!

lindisfel

Expert
I had a large black cat in my garden today, perhaps Newcastle will stay up? Otherwise I will have to send it away followed by suitable projectile!

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Just back from a challenging bank holiday weekend away. The weather was very changeable, as was my bs levels. After nearly passing out half an hour after breakfast on Sunday and a quick drop in levels while walking after lunch, the Freestyle Libra sensor has now been fitted!

I need to get a handle on what is happening. I seem to have been much better controlled up until picking up my stomach bug. Since then I feel permanently low. Wish me luck with the Libra guys. I might get some shock results!

Hope you've all had a good bank holiday x

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Keep us informed Kaz.
And yeah, the weather is challenging! In fact it's bloody s....!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with the Libre!

Yes, had a great bank hol, actually. Actually had lie ins! bliss. And been doing stuff around the house and dog walking in a beautifully relaxed way.

Back to w*rk tomorrow though, so the hol feeling is on the downward slope. lol.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oh, meaning to say, @Kaz261 have you found the really long Freestyle Libre thread in the main part of the forum?

It is long, but well worth dipping into.
Lots and lots of advice on it - when to activate the sensor, how to make it last on the skin, what to do if it doesn't, ways to get the best out of it... heartily recommend it. And every question you could ever imagine asking, will have an answer on there somewhere. :)

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
oh, meaning to say, @Kaz261 have you found the really long Freestyle Libre thread in the main part of the forum?

It is long, but well worth dipping into.
Lots and lots of advice on it - when to activate the sensor, how to make it last on the skin, what to do if it doesn't, ways to get the best out of it... heartily recommend it. And every question you could ever imagine asking, will have an answer on there somewhere. :)
Brilliant, I'll take a look. Thanks Brun. Glad you've had a relaxed weekend. Wish I could say the same - two young kids in a caravan with dodgy weather and challenging bs levels.... Need I say more!

Very early days but I think the sensor is reading low. The first scan 5.6, second scan 15 mins later (to show my gadget addicted husband) 3.9! Felt OK, but checked against the codefree and that was 5.3. Will do a few more comparisons.

Which section of the forum can I find it on Brun?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Which section of the forum can I find it on Brun?

Not sure, I am afraid. If you do a search for Freestyle Libre, you will find several threads with it in the title. The longest one probably has the most info.

Don't worry about it reading low. It REALLY doesn't matter what the numbers are (so long as it is consistent) - what you and I, as RHers need to be looking at is the peaks, troughs, rises and falls.