Rice

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a bit lost with the comments about the amount - a percentage of 80 means that if you eat 100 gm, 80 gm is carb, if you eat 50 gm, 40 gm is carb, and for 25 gm, 20 is carbs - it is a percentage.....
Eating brown rice mans that the impact is just a tiny bit less - personally I'd rather eat something with a bit of colour and flavour than any sort of rice.
How about eating a salad with coleslaw walnuts radishes celery tomato beetroot, finely sliced onion, a bag of salad, sweet pepper - rather than a spoonful of rice?
I know which I'd opt for. Don't forget the EV olive oil and a nice wine vinegar and some herbs as dressing.
The main reason is that not every one is on the keto diet. So advice about what carbs to eat is important because they are considered an important food group. The forum is an open place for people to seek advice.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is plenty of evidence that AF can be caused by electrolyte disturbances.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6942640

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26654920

https://www.livingwithatrialfibrillation.com/3094/potassium-and-atrial-fibrillation/

https://www.jem-journal.com/article/S0736-4679(15)00360-1/pdf

I wonder how often the carbs get blamed for what the electrolytes (esp potassium and magnesium) did?

We get many people, especially in hot weather, who need to adjust their electrolytes when going low carb.

https://perfectketo.com/keto-electrolytes/

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/supplements

@Angengray I sincerely hope that your AF is under control and not causing too much distress. I would suggest, if you continue to have AF and want to eat a controlled carb intake in future, that you have a good read up on the different electrolytes so that you can balance them in a way that meets your various needs. Sometimes it can be a bit of a juggling act.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: JohnH2019 and HSSS

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a bit lost with the comments about the amount - a percentage of 80 means that if you eat 100 gm, 80 gm is carb, if you eat 50 gm, 40 gm is carb, and for 25 gm, 20 is carbs - it is a percentage.....

The way I understand it is that 1cup of cooked brown rice has 15% carbs.

Eating brown rice mans that the impact is just a tiny bit less -

You're right. The only difference is that in 1 cup of brown rice, you get 3.5 gm of fiber (which you can also deduct from the total amount of carbs). Compared to other types of rice, brown rice still is, the "lesser evil."

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The way I understand it is that 1cup of cooked brown rice has 15% carbs.

You're right. The only difference is that in 1 cup of brown rice, you get 3.5 gm of fiber (which you can also deduct from the total amount of carbs). Compared to other types of rice, brown rice still is, the "lesser evil."
Only deduct in the US. In Europe/UK the fibre is already deducted from the carb count.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The main reason is that not every one is on the keto diet. So advice about what carbs to eat is important because they are considered an important food group. The forum is an open place for people to seek advice.
Carbs are considered an important food group only by some who have been told, and told and told again that it is - but not everyone is so trusting.
I eat carbs which are colourful, tasty and full of micronutrients - vitamins and minerals, the carb content is just a nuisance really. I don't advise not eating at least some of the wide variety of tasty foods available to us - but when there is so much - why rice?
Call me logical - but it doesn't make any sense to me.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The way I understand it is that 1cup of cooked brown rice has 15% carbs. You're right. The only difference is that in 1 cup of brown rice, you get 3.5 gm of fiber (which you can also deduct from the total amount of carbs). Compared to other types of rice, brown rice still is, the "lesser evil."
But what is 15 percent of a cup? We don't use cups as measurement, not as a rule, here in the UK - Though cooked rice is about one third carbs not 15 percent - and actually a cup full appears to have 45 gm of carbs - more than my total daily consumption if I am to keep to normal numbers.
I certainly would not eat brown rice for its fibre content, as it is so minimal. It can't be deducted from the carb content - it isn't included in the total carb count.

Last edited:

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But what is 15 percent of a cup? We don't use cups as measurement, not as a rule, here in the UK - Though cooked rice is about one third carbs - 15 percent - and actually a cup full appears to have 45 gm of carbs - more than my total daily consumption if I am to keep to normal numbers.
I certainly would not eat brown rice for its fibre content, as it is so minimal. It can't be deducted from the carb content - it isn't included in the total carb count.

I use cups as measurement, so that's how I understand it.

It may be more than your total daily consumption, however, I was responding to the author of this topic -
she's asking about rice.

My response was meant for the author of this thread.
A lot of sound advise had been given - most likely she'll weigh the consequences and decide for herself
if it's worth it.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use cups as measurement, so that's how I understand it.
I think the point being made, regardless of what measurement units you use, is that 15% is fairly meaningless unless you know 15% of what. So if your cup has 10 grams of rice 1.5 grams is carbs. If your cup has 100 grams of rice then there are 15 grams of carbs. It makes a lot of difference the amounts involved with the %

I understand a cup of cooked rice is just under 200g, uncooked a little less.

However my brown rice (for the rest of the family) has almost 23g of carbs per 100g cooked rice (23%) higher than most of us eat.

So a cup of brown rice is around 45 grams of carbs as stated above. I agree depending on your personal limits this may be acceptable but I’d be checking it against a meter a few times to be sure.

in the U.K. the fibre has already been accounted in labels for so it doesn’t get deducted again.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about eating a salad with coleslaw walnuts radishes celery tomato beetroot, finely sliced onion, a bag of salad, sweet pepper - rather than a spoonful of rice?
I know which I'd opt for. Don't forget the EV olive oil and a nice wine vinegar and some herbs as dressing.
Goodness! I wasn't feeling at all hungry, but now I am. Coleslaw sounds a good idea. Trouble is, it would take me forever to get through even a small whole cabbage.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness! I wasn't feeling at all hungry, but now I am. Coleslaw sounds a good idea. Trouble is, it would take me forever to get through even a small whole cabbage.
Oh I buy it ready made - far too much faffing about to make it at home, and as you point out, one cabbage would make a bucket load.
Just be sure not to get the low fat option.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh I buy it ready made - far too much faffing about to make it at home, and as you point out, one cabbage would make a bucket load.
Just be sure not to get the low fat option.
Do you buy it in a jar or from the deli counter?