Sad to hear Animas pulling out from Pumping

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just seen this and am quite worried. I have been on Animas all my pumping life and it works really well for me. Very nervous about having to change. My DSN said the medtronic is much bigger too and that's the one complaint they hear about it. I didn't really want a bigger pump!!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have just seen this and am quite worried. I have been on Animas all my pumping life and it works really well for me. Very nervous about having to change. My DSN said the medtronic is much bigger too and that's the one complaint they hear about it. I didn't really want a bigger pump!!
If you read the blurb and follow the links you will find Animas are still selling pumps in the UK so if that's the case then you have at least another 4 years of animas pumping if not longer.

Reactions: MushyPeaBrain

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you read the blurb and follow the links you will find Animas are still selling pumps in the UK so if that's the case then you have at least another 4 years of animas pumping if not longer.

So could be like Accu Chek and just pulling out of the USA and Canada ?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ultimately Medtronic wont let down I am confident, if it happens in Europe....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Aaaah... but will we still be counted as Europe??-LOL.....

Reactions: catsbd

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Why? What is going on with Animas in the USA? The little I have read makes no sense, as companies don't pull out of expanding markets.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
No it does say withdrawal. Which basically means animas will get rid of their stock on UK customers, later rather than soon for the uk users

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ultimately Medtronic wont let down I am confident, if it happens in Europe....
Considering Medtronic can not supply pumps even replacements due to the hurricane which as messed up their manufacturing and supply chain, I don't hold out much hope for them do you?

Reactions: MushyPeaBrain

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter starts her animas pump in 10 days...hmmm...
We just heard this news yesterday so big decisions to make.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Indeed, just took time to read all the blurb and links, Johnson and johnson tried to sell the business, were not succesfull so now pulling out of it.

They reached agreement with the Authorities in the USA and Canada to move users to Medtronic, for the rest of the world no agreements are in place yet but they will be coming I'd guess sooner rather than later.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My daughter starts her animas pump in 10 days...hmmm...
We just heard this news yesterday so big decisions to make.
Why? Animas are still selling pumps and looking after their customers in the UK.

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Our animas pump start for next Tuesday has been pulled by our hospital team sadly. They couldn’t get a promise from animas that they’d be able to guarantee supplies. Very disappointed.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Our animas pump start for next Tuesday has been pulled by our hospital team sadly. They couldn’t get a promise from animas that they’d be able to guarantee supplies. Very disappointed.
Oh @CathP that's rotten! Sending hugs.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It also raises an interesting question with regard to Dexcom. With J&J pulling pump support and likely maintenance (I suspect the transition is to move all current pump users onto other makes within warranty), it means the death of the Dexcom G4 system. There's no longer any need to support it for the Vibe, and Dexcom can focus their efforts on the future rather than old tech.

Reactions: crashinduction

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It also raises an interesting question with regard to Dexcom. With J&J pulling pump support and likely maintenance (I suspect the transition is to move all current pump users onto other makes within warranty), it means the death of the Dexcom G4 system. There's no longer any need to support it for the Vibe, and Dexcom can focus their efforts on the future rather than old tech.
I spoke with Animas on the phone about this around 4 months ago.

Animas said that if they issued their last pumps on day X... Dexcom would still honour the 4 year warranty period with as many transmitters and sensors as required. Dexcom said the same.

It does spell the end for the G4 in a sense @tim2000s. But from what I've heard directly from Animas and Dexcom, you would still have the 4 year warranty period to play with old tech (Vibe and G4) should you wish to.

I have none of this in writing, it was verbal.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I have an animas and find it very reliable. Never had a blockage, unlike some others I have read about. Very good support from the rep and animas uk. Hope all is ok and there jobs remain safe.