Sensitivity from injecting

Westie58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
I have been injecting one a day since October when diagnosed in the stomach and I am careful to rotate as advised by the clinic.
However most recently I am experiencing soreness/tenderness and wondered if anyone had the same problem?

Any advice most welcome :D

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I am on 4 injections a day and I would say at least 1 injection will hurt me and that's every single day. Sometimes I am doubled up in pain. I don't know why they hurt so much either. Because of this I sometimes stop injecting for a while.

Snodger

some things to check:
- how often do you change your needle? they can get blunt quite fast
- what size of needle are you using? they make tiny tiny ones now; if you are still using 6 or 8 mm then that could be making things worse; ask to try the littlest ones available.
- try injecting in your buttocks and thighs rather than stomach. Stomachs are notorious for hurting when you inject (well, notorious in my household anyway)
- is it every single time you inject, or only sometimes? which insulin are you injecting? Some people do get bad reactions to some insulins and it might be worth asking to try a different one if you are getting this problem every time.
I'd try the changing-needles and smaller-needles solutions first though.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi all.
I experienced this 'suddenly' 3 weeks ago, I had beeen using levemir insulin without any issues/problems then everytime I injected I was gettting huge red hot to touch painful welts .
I changed my needle each n everytime rotated sites with every shot. Used 5mm/4mm needles too.
Nothing helped improve the situation, then was getting headaches , excessive hair loss, plus monstrous bruising after the welts went down and to find another one popped up elsewhere!
Can only inject in my tummy as am far too tiny anywhere else, no option for me to try or go elsewhere to relieve the affected site areas.
Had to "change" insulin as result - now on hypurin porcine isophane and up to now it agrees with me! :D
I would suggest if it does become each and everytime you inject you are experiencing these problems, it would be best to let your DSN/GP know. Talk through the options and if you do feel a need to change [as I did!] you may wish to .
I did find as these welts appearred the levemir went very 'stingy' which it had never done before.
We suffer enough with the regime/responsibilty of being insulin dependent , its made worse when we get isssues/problems with site reactions/allergys etc...
Best to deal with this ASAP and help things become smoother , painfree, issue free again.
Anna.x

calisto51

I also had a similar problem with Levimer red blotches that started quite painful then over time became itchy. Changed insulin and the problem went away

Westie58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
noblehead said:
Westie,

Give the stomach a rest for a while to give it time to heal, the following diagram shows suitable sites for injecting insulin:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7261
Hi thanks for advise-actually not so sore today-on Lantus 20mm one injection a day 4mm needles-will try elsewhere for a while!

Westie58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Snodger said:
some things to check:
- how often do you change your needle? they can get blunt quite fast
- what size of needle are you using? they make tiny tiny ones now; if you are still using 6 or 8 mm then that could be making things worse; ask to try the littlest ones available.
- try injecting in your buttocks and thighs rather than stomach. Stomachs are notorious for hurting when you inject (well, notorious in my household anyway)
- is it every single time you inject, or only sometimes? which insulin are you injecting? Some people do get bad reactions to some insulins and it might be worth asking to try a different one if you are getting this problem every time.
I'd try the changing-needles and smaller-needles solutions first though.
Thanks for that-one injection a day-Lantus-4mm needle and use new one each time-suspect maybe not rotating as carefully as I should but will try the thigh or buttock