Should I take metformin?

debj56

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am newly diagnosed , trying to deal with T2 with low carb diet . I want to try and get this under control as quickly as possible as both parents have bad diabetes complications . My question is basically would taking metformin help or hinder ? I am desperate to have more energy to exercise more and not sure how to achieve this

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi debj56, can you please just clarify if you are pre-diabetic (as stated under your avatar) or type 2 as stated in your post?
The reason I ask is that I’m not sure GPs, in the UK at least, would prescribe Metformin if you are pre diabetic.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry should say diabetic T2
Could you correct this on your profile please, so you get correct advice for your situation.
Taking Metformin will depend on your GP and your HbA1c result, maybe book an appt with your nurse or GP to discuss it?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes..

If it helps, and it seems to be proven, so i'd say yes.
it is described as a mild drug, and help depress appetite,

BUT the biggee here is carbs and diet...which lead to weight loss usually,
then exercise ..which also helps.

Signatures under so many posts tell a tale of success.

i note your other posts, so perhaps getting down to more normal/lower
levels would be good for you on so many more levels, as well.

many seem to take Metformn and a good few stay on taking it (i still do)
it has a lot of other health properties apparently.

But as always it's an individuals choices.

D

Deleted member 308541

My question is basically would taking metformin help or hinder ?
I was prescribed Metformin which I took for two years, until I got steady hba1c readings that enabled me to stop taking them on discussion with my GP.

I manage my T2 recovery with lchf food choices as I now have it under very good control.

Her's a bigger pix of the one in my sig showing my progress.

bXkGdsh.jpg

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi debj56, can you please just clarify if you are pre-diabetic (as stated under your avatar) or type 2 as stated in your post?
The reason I ask is that I’m not sure GPs, in the UK at least, would prescribe Metformin if you are pre diabetic.
@Rachox, this used to be the case until recently, but the guidance for GPs has changed. In view of the huge problem of so many pre-diabetics posed to become full diabetics in the future, it is suggested that Metformin may be prescribed for them where lifestyle changes are not enough to bring results down to "normal" levels. My worst known A1c was 41 (which is considered "normal" in the UK but pre-diabetic in the US). I managed to persuade my GP to prescribe me a full dose of Glucophage / Metformin.

debj56

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Again , thank you all I’m learning so much a putting together a picture of what I need to do

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox, this used to be the case until recently, but the guidance for GPs has changed. In view of the huge problem of so many pre-diabetics posed to become full diabetics in the future, it is suggested that Metformin may be prescribed for them where lifestyle changes are not enough to bring results down to "normal" levels. My worst known A1c was 41 (which is considered "normal" in the UK but pre-diabetic in the US). I managed to persuade my GP to prescribe me a full dose of Glucophage / Metformin.
Thank you very much for putting me right. That’s good to know :)

Taz Trooper

I am now 6 weeks into being diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. I was started on Metformin straight away, as HBA1c was up at 88. It took a little while to get accustomed to Metformin (about a week or so), but seems to be working very well, accompanied by strict low fat low sugar low salt diet. Feeling very better straight away, vision issues stopped inside a week, and 6 weeks later without trying, I've lost about 4kg.
Therefore based on my experiences, don't worry to much.

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
Why are you on a low fat low salt diet. I can understand the low carbs/sugar, as nutritionally carbs are not essential and nutritionally suspect, particularly processed carbs such as grains, juices and sugary drinks. Fat is an essential nutrient, the body needs fat to feed off, process nutrients and minerals and tell the brain when your satiated, something carbs cannot do. Salt is also an essential mineral. Unless there is a particular reason you are on that particular diet I recommend you re-evaluate what your eating. It took me about 3 weeks on a low carb/high fat and then keto diet to come off my metformin.
I am now 6 weeks into being diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. I was started on Metformin straight away, as HBA1c was up at 88. It took a little while to get accustomed to Metformin (about a week or so), but seems to be working very well, accompanied by strict low fat low sugar low salt diet. Feeling very better straight away, vision issues stopped inside a week, and 6 weeks later without trying, I've lost about 4kg.
Therefore based on my experiences, don't worry to much.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you stick to low fat and low salt things might go a bit wobbly in the near future. Low carb is fine, we don't need them. Watch out for processed foods which are low fat as they often have extra carbs added.
I was on Metformin and Atorvastatin for just over a month - worst weeks of my life. I stopped taking them and found that I never needed them in the first place.