Should this be the ultimate diet?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker

It looks to me like the first phase insulin response was a bit out, and that could be the last meal effect because you didn't carb up. You took your pancreas by complete surprise and it took time to wake up. Then the second phase response kicked in and probably over did it a bit.

I would say brilliant results and well done. :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit, I'd be wondering how it would be second time around for you @bulkbiker , although having done it myself, in a similar way to you (similar as I used Lucozade, and a little bit over the measure due to an idiotic calculation, done immediately prior to pouring and drinking the solution), I also won't be doing another willingly.

Just for comparison my numbers were:

Baseline: 3.9
15 minutes: 7.5
30 minutes: 9.4
45 minutes: 9.0
1 hour: 6.9
75 minutes: 5.7
90 minutes: 5.2
105 minutes: 4.5
2 hours: 3.5
135 minutes: 3.2
150 minutes: 3.7, then decaf coffee with milk

It was interesting how I felt at the 3.2 on the day. 3.2 isn't overly unusual for me, but then I just didn't feel great. I have put that down to the rapid rise, into numbers not seen for years, then down. I elected to do another 15 minutes, just to see if I had hit the bottom, and to observe my liver intervention.

Once I had seen that, I was happy just to have a decaf to ponder my results.

The volume of your drink looks more palatable than mine, as well as the lack of carbonation.

Reactions: ziggy_w

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit, I'd be wondering how it would be second time around for you @bulkbiker , although having done it myself, in a similar way to you (similar as I used Lucozade, and a little bit over the measure due to an idiotic calculation, done immediately prior to pouring and drinking the solution), I also won't be doing another willingly.

Just for comparison my numbers were:

Baseline: 3.9
15 minutes: 7.5
30 minutes: 9.4
45 minutes: 9.0
1 hour: 6.9
75 minutes: 5.7
90 minutes: 5.2
105 minutes: 4.5
2 hours: 3.5
135 minutes: 3.2
150 minutes: 3.7, then decaf coffee with milk

It was interesting how I felt at the 3.2 on the day. 3.2 isn't overly unusual for me, but then I just didn't feel great. I have put that down to the rapid rise, into numbers not seen for years, then down. I elected to do another 15 minutes, just to see if I had hit the bottom, and to observe my liver intervention.

Once I had seen that, I was happy just to have a decaf to ponder my results.

The volume of your drink looks more palatable than mine, as well as the lack of carbonation.

Yes the drink was fine and maybe not as sweet as I had feared. .. I was a bit surprised by the speed and magnitude of the rise .. although as @Bluetit1802 says I haven't had more than 30g of carbs per day for well over a year now so my poor old body was likely a bit shocked.. I was very pleased to see levels come back down quite fast to so something is obviously working..Will now carry on monitoring weight etc to make sure no lasting damage..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And just to top it off an FBG of 5.9.. now where did that come from..! was 5.0 after dinner last night.
Maybe I have re-awakened my DP..

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And just to top it off an FBG of 5.9.. now where did that come from..! was 5.0 after dinner last night.
Maybe I have re-awakened my DP..
Oh no!!! Don't say that!

Maybe you just have to deplete your glycogen stores again???

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woo hoo after two hours back to almost normality.. 5.7!

So basically it looks like you just had a pretty an entirely normal non diabetic response at least according to what we are told

i.e. less than 140 within 2 hours congratulations

Of course the way to test it out would be - go consult a private doctor - have a set of bloods done and a health check, don't tell him you are diabetic but you re worried you might be - then see what he comes up with :) - if of course you actually trusted him to find anything anyway for the money !

Reactions: Bluetit1802

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oddly my sugars have been higher than usual today.. 5.9 FBG, 5.8 late morning and after dinner 6.1.
I usually stay under 6 and try to hover around mid to low 5's.. may try a fasting day tomorrow to see if I can reduce them further.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oddly my sugars have been higher than usual today.. 5.9 FBG, 5.8 late morning and after dinner 6.1.
I usually stay under 6 and try to hover around mid to low 5's.. may try a fasting day tomorrow to see if I can reduce them further.

It's probably all the excitement :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the odd days like that, and I'm sure most of us do. The difference is insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but as it returns to normal the next day I know it isn't a trend starting.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still saying your glycogen store are full.

Here's my latest. The past few weeks I've been drinking white wine and kept bs steady with insulin. Four days ago I went back to vodka and fastings are greatly reduced and I'm actually having a hard time keeping bs UP.

It usually takes me 3 days after a FILL to get back to normal. I guess those carbs in the wine put me over my daily limit even though I could keep bs steady.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still saying your glycogen store are full.

Here's my latest. The past few weeks I've been drinking white wine and kept bs steady with insulin. Four days ago I went back to vodka and fastings are greatly reduced and I'm actually having a hard time keeping bs UP.

It usually takes me 3 days after a FILL to get back to normal. I guess those carbs in the wine put me over my daily limit even though I could keep bs steady.
Hmm interesting.. have to get back to the pool and do some serious lengths... don't drink unfortunately so can't do the vodka cure..!