Six Months Since Diagnosis

Blade72

I've just had my HBC1A 3 months results, having been diagnosed at 96 then got it down to 39 I'm now at 37.

I'm not taking anything for granted but pleased with my progress , I'm 50 in 2 weeks, I've lost 20kg , just through a bit of walking but mainly cutting down on carbs to about 35g-50 a day.

All this I put down to my wife whose joined me on food choices and has researched ingredients swaps to ensure I can live as normal as possible, ie low carb bread, low carb rice and pasta, alternatives to potatoes, cream in my coffee and just generally been so supportive and encouraging.

CamGreen

I've just had my HBC1A 3 months results, having been diagnosed at 96 then got it down to 39 I'm now at 37.

I'm not taking anything for granted but pleased with my progress , I'm 50 in 2 weeks, I've lost 20kg , just through a bit of walking but mainly cutting down on carbs to about 35g-50 a day.

All this I put down to my wife whose joined me on food choices and has researched ingredients swaps to ensure I can live as normal as possible, ie low carb bread, low carb rice and pasta, alternatives to potatoes, cream in my coffee and just generally been so supportive and encouraging.

Blade that’s so encouraging. I was diagnosed just over a month ago and have lost just over a stone on a low carb diet and walking. Really interested in the low carb bread and rice you mention. Can you give me the details?

Reactions: jjraak

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Wow, that’s a huge improvement! Great job!

Blade72

Blade that’s so encouraging. I was diagnosed just over a month ago and have lost just over a stone on a low carb diet and walking. Really interested in the low carb bread and rice you mention. Can you give me the details?
Sorry not been on for a while , the rice is protein rice from Carbzoneuk, the bread is live bread from Waitrose or homemade using the Keto king recipe

LINMARIE

Hi well done so encouraging Can you tell me what bread you use as i went through every loaf in supermarket and for 1 slice most are 12 to 15 grm carb I am doing low carb and dont want to use 30 grms on a sandwich before filling goes in but do miss my toast I tried a HiLife think was called that but was very malt loafy and cant fund a keto type loaf anywhere bakers try to sell me sough dough but thst is high carb the loaves I have looked at..

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The recipe i use for bread, is a modified version of Diedres low carb bread.
80 grams golden flaxseed meal, i buy seeds and use a liquidiser to grind them up. (cheaper)
50 grams Oat fibre.
200 grams Vital wheat gluten.
1 tbsp coconut flour.
1 tsp xantham gum.
70 grams salted butter.
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp erythritol (granulated sugar substitute)
2 eggs.
236ml warm water
1 sachet or 1 tbsp of dried yeast.
1 tsp honey to activate the yeast

Place water yeast and honey in a jug together to activate. (ready when foamy on the surface)
put salt and erythritol in the bread maker or mixer.
Put all other DRY ingredients on top of these.
when yeast mix is ready, whisk the eggs and add with yeast to the rest.
bread maker basic bread, large loaf, medium crust and away you go.
If making in a mixer, mix together and knead for 5 to 6 mins.
shape and place in a 2lb loaf tin, prove until doubled in size.
Bake at 170°c for 45 mins give or take (dependent on oven).
Should be approx' 1.6 grams of carbs per slice.
Thanks to the coconut flour i find it toasts so much better and even frys well.
I prefer mixing in the bread maker and partly proving, then removing and putting in a 2lb tin and baking in the oven.
Although our oven thermostat threw a wobbly and cremated one loaf, it doesn't bake well in excess of 240 °c. Thankfully thermo' replaced now.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Blade72

Fantastic result ... :cool:

Wife's definitely a KEEPER.

Ps don't forget her flowers. ;)

Marvellous team effort...whoop whoop :D