Snowdon Climb Nutrition, Type 2

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning folks,

Please could I ask a little advice?

For those that are into their walking/hiking, I wanted to check in and ask could any of you could steer me towards the best food stuffs & liquids to take when I climb Snowdon in a group in a few months? (Ive looked into the distance/duration, but unsure on energy expenditure)

I keep fit, run, cycle etc.. and Im in good shape, but wasn't sure on how exerting it may be & what my body may need. Im type 2, metformin & diet controlled. I know what I need when I run & cycle but this one has me drawing a blank, and Ive seen that some of you get up-to great things when time allows.

Thank you in advance :)

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Morning folks,

Please could I ask a little advice?

For those that are into their walking/hiking, I wanted to check in and ask could any of you could steer me towards the best food stuffs & liquids to take when I climb Snowdon in a group in a few months? (Ive looked into the distance/duration, but unsure on energy expenditure)

I keep fit, run, cycle etc.. and Im in good shape, but wasn't sure on how exerting it may be & what my body may need. Im type 2, metformin & diet controlled. I know what I need when I run & cycle but this one has me drawing a blank, and Ive seen that some of you get up-to great things when time allows.

Thank you in advance :)
Protein bars - I've found that they don't spike my BG when I'm training (or even just as a filler if I'm not around prepped food) and they're usually good to sustain for the duration. I used gels when I climbed up Ben Nevis, but that was as a non diabetic - having said that, it was intense exercise going up so it might have burnt off the bad stuff (sugars) quicker. Protein bars seem to be good for me and there's varying options available, performance wise. Maybe test out a few to see the effects on body fuel and BG levels in advance of event?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could always try it fasted..? less to carry.. how long should it take?

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Ironlioness, that's a really good idea! I hadn't thought of that, and perhaps something fatty too. I'd rather take too much than feel empty or worried half way through. I'll look into what bars are best for diabetic folks, as I know some may be bound by a syrup of sorts.

Another great idea Bulkbiker, thank you, its an admirable idea although I've never attempted a walk like this before so wouldnt want to pass out and need any attention. I say this as some forums talk about the amount of energy needed to walk up & down, depending on route, it could be the wrong time to shock my body. I do run on an empty stomach / waking on run days, I usually 4.5 miles or so which feels awesome.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Ironlioness, that's a really good idea! I hadn't thought of that, and perhaps something fatty too. I'd rather take too much than feel empty or worried half way through. I'll look into what bars are best for diabetic folks, as I know some may be bound by a syrup of sorts.

Another great idea Bulkbiker, thank you, its an admirable idea although I've never attempted a walk like this before so wouldnt want to pass out and need any attention. I say this as some forums talk about the amount of energy needed to walk up & down, depending on route, it could be the wrong time to shock my body. I do run on an empty stomach / waking on run days, I usually 4.5 miles or so which feels awesome.
Not sure why you think you would pass out? Esp if as your profile says you are only on metformin.. you have a few months to get into the swing of it..?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Regarding low carb, high protein bars. I’m not into fitness so can’t comment on how good they are for sporting events. However I always carry one in my bag for those coffee shop occasions when friends or family are tucking into a biscuit or cake!
I have two favourite makes one is PHD bars the other Grenade Carb Killas, both are available in my big Tesco’s. They are sweetened with polyols (alcohol sugars). Polyols are carbohydrates but generally not absorbed, so you need to look on the wrapper for the number of “impact carbs”. Some diabetics get a spike from them but some like me don’t. Just a note which may be tricky up a mountain, they all have the following warning “excessive consumption may have a laxative effect” :shy:

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're probably right, I've not much experience of fasting although follow the current information & it makes sense that I'd be ok. Maybe its life habit & concern of what 'could' happen, I could see how far I go before I feel depleted. I'd read that calories consumed is vast, so makes sense to take something in the bag, just in case.

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Rachox, I didnt know they were 'all clear' for us to use, I had them in the tracker bar category :)

Notes taken, a good backup. I like the idea of the protein bar, and I can get my hands on decent ones for the bag.

I dont plan on eating a great deal as it takes the edge from clarity while sapping energy, its mainly for peace of mind.

I appreciate the input from you all so far, thank you.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Rachox, I didnt know they were 'all clear' for us to use, I had them in the tracker bar category :)

Notes taken, a good backup. I like the idea of the protein bar, and I can get my hands on decent ones for the bag.

I dont plan on eating a great deal as it takes the edge from clarity while sapping energy, its mainly for peace of mind.

I appreciate the input from you all so far, thank you.
It might be worth testing a couple before you head off up the mountain to check your blood sugar response and any ill effects on your innards ;) They are really tasty btw!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have done Croagh Patrick twice at 7 km fasted. Snowdon is around 11 km, so I would have either generous eggs and bacon or smoked salmon, eggs and avocado, both with some water.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that last time I was to be out at a meal time I took a cooked chicken, a tub of coleslaw, green salad, celery, tomatoes, walnuts, strawberries and cream and a flask of coffee. I ended up sharing it with several people who had brought rather more 'healthy' options.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did climb Skiddaw since diagnosis. Good breakfast and walk up. My husband produced a biscuit at the top and required me to eat it. Said he didn't want me doing funny on the way down. Apart from that I just drank water. I was probably a lot slower than you but enjoyed it. I haven't been up Snowdon since diagnosis but I would think it was similar. Good luck and enjoy.