So fed up with my GP

TypeZero.

I’m going on a holiday for a month and made a prescription order only to be ignored by my GP and given 40% or so of what I requested. Has anyone experienced this? Imagine going away for a month with only 100 test strips, 100 needles!!!!, 5 NovoRapid pens, 10 Lantus pens and 100 lancets. they know I have a chronic condition why do they have to be a pain. I’m going to a warm country (usual temperature of 40 degrees Celsius), my insulin might spoil and with the coronavirus situation there might be delays or I might be stranded there. They’re actually so inconsiderate. I requested it 5 days ago and it was only approved today and I only got like 40% of what I asked for.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ring them, tell them you are going away for a month and need plenty of supplies for your trip.
Did you request more than you'd normally get on a repeat prescription, if so that might be why you didn't get all of it, my doctors don't prescribe more than the amount specified on the repeat unless I ring them and give a specific valid reason - at which point they are happy to.

I know my doctors say to allow 2 days for repeat prescriptions - but of course weekends do not count as working days, so it may well take longer if you order just before the weekend.

Edit: got rid of some extraneous duplicate words

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I hope you sort out your supplies.
I recommend you take a repeat prescription for insulin (as well as your other medication and supplies) as a backup plan in case your insulin becomes ineffective (or items are lost). I would, in advance, know how to navigate myself around the health care system of where I was travelling to, in case a doctor needs to write the prescription for insulin. Myself, even if I did take enough insulin a month, I find it ineffective after 2-3 weeks.

TypeZero.

Ring them, tell them you are going away for a month and need plenty of supplies for your trip.
Did you request more than you'd normally get on a repeat prescription, if so that might be why you didn't get all of it, my doctors don't prescribe more than the amount specified on the repeat unless I ring them and give a specific valid reason - at which point they are happy to.

I know my doctors say to allow 2 days for repeat prescriptions - but of course weekends do not count as working days, so it may well take longer if you order just before the weekend.

Edit: got rid of some extraneous duplicate words

Yeah I did request quite a lot but I also wrote on it saying I will be going on a holiday for a month. I went to the GP face to face and told them and they just booked me an appointment with a pharmacist on Thursday, I’m leaving Saturday!!

I’m on my honeymoon right now which might randomly end when on holiday but I think 10 pens of Lantus will be more than enough. I had 3 pens of NovoRapid and they gave me 5 more so 8 in total. 1 pen usually lasts for 1.5 weeks but my appetite is increasing exponentially so I might end up using 2 pens a week. Worst case scenario I will have to buy my own insulin abroad. I’m taking my Libre but it’s not that reliable and I don’t want to end up with no BG readings, I originally asked for 200 strips but they gave me 100 which I think should be ok to be honest.

I now realise that I’m over-egging the pudding a bit. The only thing that I will need more of is needles about 200 more and I’m seeing my endo today so he should be able to sort that out

TypeZero.

I hope you sort out your supplies.
I recommend you take a repeat prescription for insulin (as well as your other medication and supplies) as a backup plan in case your insulin becomes ineffective (or items are lost). I would, in advance, know how to navigate myself around the health care system of where I was travelling to, in case a doctor needs to write the prescription for insulin. Myself, even if I did take enough insulin a month, I find it ineffective after 2-3 weeks.

Yeah I know all the concentrations and names of my insulin. I know everything in detail for example the size of needles etc. I also speak the local language and there are multiple new modern hospitals and we have private insurance there so it should be perfect.

When refrigerated shouldn’t insulin be alright for months and even years? I’m taking a cool bag and I’m arriving on the hot country 2am so the weather should be cool before I put it back into a fridge

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Yeah I know all the concentrations and names of my insulin. I know everything in detail for example the size of needles etc. I also speak the local language and there are multiple new modern hospitals and we have private insurance there so it should be perfect.

When refrigerated shouldn’t insulin be alright for months and even years? I’m taking a cool bag and I’m arriving on the hot country 2am so the weather should be cool before I put it back into a fridge
It should be 4 weeks for short-acting and 6 weeks for long-acting, but the reality is it isn't, even when refrigerated. I'm 2 weeks 4 days into my prescription, and it's now ineffective. My chemist should have some new vials in by 5 pm. I'm sipping tea with a splash of cream until then.

Last edited:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I did request quite a lot but I also wrote on it saying I will be going on a holiday for a month.
Yeah I did that once but any comment on said prescription forms were generally ignored, and I had to talk to the doc/pharmacist before they would give me any extra over what was the normal repeat amount - its probably a safety thing applied to all prescriptions to make sure people are not overdosing on prescribed drugs (or getting more than normal to sell, give to other people etc)

Also note that temperature changes can affect how much insulin you need, I know when its hot here I need less insulin (I have to reduce both the basal and bolus - though not by much) but obviously its different for everyone but it's something you probably want to watch out for.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @TypeZero.

Regarding your Libre. I can't remeber what set up you have to scan it. If you have an Android phone? Download "Glimp" for scanning. It can be calibrated to your meter for more accuracy..

You may find if you scan before opening the app there will question asked in a prompt box on the phone asking which app do you wanna use? (Librelink or Glimp.)
Opening the app first, should remedy this.. (I found XDrip more stable on my device when I got a MM.)

From experience picking up scripts from time to time with smaller chemists. They have sometimes asked me to come back later for the odd box of insulin. The reason being, (I deal with small local establishments.) they only hold so much stock on the premises & like to keep 1 for an emergency?
No problem for me as I'd like to feel if a fellow D was cutting it fine with an order? They weren't totally up the creek without the proverbial..

Another tip regarding traveling. (In future.)
Reusable pens? Take a spare of each type. Carrying the equivalent insulin as cartridges you might find a little less bulky than the disposable. (I never personally saw the point in the disposable pen option.)

Have a great holiday.