Something MUST be done!!!!

A

Anonymous

IanD said:
DUK were in the process of ruining my life, when I came across this forum.

If that's the opening draft for your discussion on Tuesday then I'm definitely coming to watch.. :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
swimmer2 said:
IanD said:
DUK were in the process of ruining my life, when I came across this forum.

If that's the opening draft for your discussion on Tuesday then I'm definitely coming to watch.. :D

Make sure you come and say hello if you do come Swim. I'm a bit taller than my Avatar, and with much shorter hair. I don't suppose you look much like yours.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
IanD said:
xyzzy said:
Ian think the think the doc is an improvement but like others are saying it needs further discussion from the membership. It should be as inclusive as possible or else it will just cause friction.

I expect a lot of further discussion - but I am seeing a DUK rep on Tuesday at the Hounslow meeting. We have to start somewhere, & with any document, it is best for someone to put forward a draft for discussion. Friction is not intended, but wedo need to get the low/reduced/controlled carb approach across. DUK were in the process of ruining my life, when I came across this forum.

Ian I have no problem with you using your doc as a personal position statement for your meeting and wish you every success I do feel putting the forums name behind it is too early at this stage. Other members do need time to make comments and I'm sure would feel rightly peeved if at this stage your doc as it stands was pushed as our official opinion. What still concerns me most is the issue of T1 / T2 separation. I can see as a low to moderate carb T2 the vast majority of what you say makes a great sense and I would personally endorse most of it but I know say my similar low carbing T1 son would not necessarily agree with everything in the doc as it stands nor would members like Phoenix I would guess.

The need to maybe have slightly different info for T1 / T2 is something that I hope the proposed committee can address sensibly and rationally. Sorry T1.5's you have just as much say of course!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
xyzzy said:
What still concerns me most is the issue of T1 / T2 separation. The need to maybe have slightly different info for T1 / T2 is something that I hope the proposed committee can address sensibly and rationally. Sorry T1.5's you have just as much say of course!

:clap: As I said earlier, Type 1s are not always given good advice or care and Type 1.5 advice and care is pitiful. The 'eat what you like and cover it with insulin' mantra is very, very damaging and, unfortunately, it gets re-inforced by some well-meaning folk on this forum. Reduced use of insulin by reduced carb intake should be explained. The carb/insulin balance is equally important for all types of diabetes; it's just that some of us have to inject the insulin and others are able to produce it. Either way, managing the carb is essential in remaining healthy. If we are to have different advice for different types of diabetes, I would strongly oppose any Type 1/1.5 advice that encouraged 'normal' eating.

Smidge

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just bumping this to remind us that Something Must Be Done!

WhitbyJet

Just a little feedback for you.
A few weeks ago we had an older woman with T2 diabetes staying with us whilst her home was refurbished and decorated. (I do some voluntary work in the community and have known her for a while so wanted to help out a little).
Whilst she was staying with us she was eating low carb along with us, she wanted to give this regimen a try, please note that this was her decision and free will, (I do offer my guests new potatoes, basmati rice, ordinary bread).
Well her need for insulin reduced from 40 units to just 5 units per day. She was impressed to say the least, enjoyed all the meals and she has continued eating that way since returning to her home.
Yesterday she had her diabetic review, her DSN was not too happy with reduced carb to this kind of level, said she needs to eat a minimum of 200g carbs per day.
So a consultation was called, the diabetes consultant, DSN, Endocrinologist and Social Worker, she aksed me along for support, we took food with us, Mrs xyzzy is now very famous, we took one of her bakes and coleslaw, fresh green salad, tomatoes, etc, we also took a lc Kladdkaka that I topped with raspberries with us, nobody there would have guessed this was low carb food, truly enjoyed by all, Lots of compliments, the leftovers were eaten by admin staff.

Both consultants and SW are very interested in learning more, I handed over a printout of xyzzy's excellent post conataining all the links, they promised to give the subject of low carb more thought and attention, said they have no problem for my friend to continue on lchf, first time in years she is losing weight, first time in years her lipid profile is looking very good as well.
Everyone there was genuinely interested and impressed, profuse thanks were given for our efforts.
I am confident that in future people with diabetes in our region will be informed of the lchf option open to them.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Progress by gum.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's a brilliant story WJ thanks for posting it. We're both pleased we could help this lady and evangelise the LCHF cause at the same time so thanks!

To continue evangelising (well I would wouldn't I) none of us should forget that LCHF is beneficial to insulin using diabetics of all Types. The reasons they find it beneficial are subtly different to the T2 diet only community but it is just as important as far as I'm aware. Their views are critical to this "Something must be done" stuff. All things the proposed committee needs to discuss.

desidiabulum

I don't know whether my PMs have been getting through on this. Is a putative committee in contact via email yet? Has benedict been consulted re coordination? Do I need to do anything?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've missed this thread, and don't really know what's been discussed. (I can't get on teh forum for as olong as I'd like to, and I certainly can't read 16 pages of posst!)

What is going on here? Anything I should be aware of/involved in???

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:
I've missed this thread, and don't really know what's been discussed. (I can't get on teh forum for as olong as I'd like to, and I certainly can't read 16 pages of posst!)

Members are wanting to set the ball in motion to campaign to have the Government/NHS/DUK advice changed to emphasise the importance of carb control.

Unbeliever

noblehead said:
Patch said:

Members are wanting to set the ball in motion to campaign to have the Government/NHS/DUK advice changed to emphasise the importance of carb control.

That was certainluy the original concept Nigel. Not sure that it is still the main focus.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You mean we're getting organised?

I like it.

Power to the people!

images

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unbeliever said:
That was certainluy the original concept Nigel. Not sure that it is still the main focus.

Oh right......has it changed :shock:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just bumping this back up as it's far too important to slip off the radar imo.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
xyzzy said:
Another useful and new bit of evidence to strengthen any low carb message for T1's you may wish to consider.

http://www.dmsjournal.com/content/pdf/1758-5996-4-23.pdf

That is the same team that produced a favourable report for low carb/high fat for T2s.

From the report:

There is no evidence for the use of the widely recommended high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet
in type 1 diabetes.
There is no evidence that animal fat in the food should cause cardiovascular disease [13–15].
There is no evidence that protein should cause kidney disease [16]; on the contrary, hyperglycemia gave a 3.5 times higher incidence of albuminuria in DCCT, not protein [1].
There is, however, strong evidence for the aggressive development of damages in all organs in poorly regulated type 1 diabetes [1].
The physician and the individual must therefore together explore the tools and methods that give best result, for instance type of insulin, insulin pens, insulin pump etc. and diet. The restricted carbohydrate dietary approach is directly aimed at lowering of HbA1c, not at avoiding fat and protein.
The model described here may be an option for 10-20% of the patients with type 1 diabetes.

Conclusion
An educational program involving a low-carbohydrate diet and correspondingly reduced insulin doses for informed individuals with type 1 diabetes gives acceptable adherence after 4 years. One in two people attending the education achieves a long-term significant HbA1c reduction.

I'm not T1, but I was influenced to try low carb by a T1 - Fergus.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
An email from the Hounslow cario/diabetes support group@

Many people at the meeting wanted Ian Day's notes on a Low Carbohydrate Diet. These are attached. I will post the notes in the next mail shot to those without an email address.

Over 50 will get my notes & the Swedish T2 study.