Sporty Forty.e t

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I haven't a clue what this is about.

I think there's been a messaging conversation going on, and you can't upload photos to messages. Does nothing for me anyway.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pollylocks Tuesday must be a quiet day which is just as well as my GP only works Mon, Tues and Friday now. I rang before the surgery officially opened according to their website and got through to receptionist. Half an hour later GP rang. He's a lovely bloke but you do have to prise the information out of him. Wants me to up meds which I'm so so about but certainly wasn't going to do without knowing my last test results. Thankfully he seems to have forgotten about statins and BP meds so metformin is a small ;price to pay. Starting on three for couple of weeks to see how it goes. Apparently it's for my heart not my BS.
Well, metformin does seem sensible if that is what you need, and you may be able to come off it at a later date. I am having a trial period without it right now, but it worked fine for me.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not a spam message, for anyone in doubt........

Have any of you walkers had a look at this website? www.borrowmydoggy.com I don't have any connection to the site, but it looks like a fun way to have a pooch to walk from time to time. I would absolutely love to have another dog (or a pair), but our lifestyle would just be too cruel on any animals.

My OH is less keen, on the basis you don't have to actually own a dog for it to break your heart (when it goes to doggy heaven), but I can probably work on that.......... ;)

Reactions: 2 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi mm weight loss is a funny one. I've lost 2 stone recently , took a while but I got there. BMI is 24.4 but my waist is 36inches. I read yesterday that I need to be 34.5 inches around the waist so I am working on that . Its not easy. I ve always had a belly even when I was young and weighed 9 stone.
my waist is also 36". I wish I had measured right at the beginning but I didn't think to. I measured 4 months ago when I was 2 stones lighter than I am now and it was 39". When I was normal size, years ago, I never had a big tummy. I was pear shaped. Now I'm apple. My legs are getting skinny. My BMI is 28.8 and I need to lose 1st 12lb to get to the top end of my normal range.
How to get rid of the fat on my tum? Just keep plodding. Perhaps I should do more swimming.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp Yes I'll try to take the extra metformin. I was only on two a day and he said he likes people to be on 4 for maximum benefits. Given I have slightly high cholesterol and my dad's family riddled with heart disease it seems a reasonable suggestion. Just going to take some B12 supplement as I think it can have an effect on that and I don't want my aches and pains to get any worse and I'm daft enough without memory loss.
@Jamrox and @peacetrain I had a smallish waist once over- 24 inches- most of my weight has always been on my bum and hips- now it seems to be coming off round my ribs and hips and leaving me with a wobbly bit in the middle. I need to do more toning exercises and maybe get a hula hoop! Tbh I am just glad the weight is coming off at all as I have struggled for so long dieting and nothing happened. The metformin has certainly suppressed my appetite as often I get bored half way through dinner and just leave it. Goodness knows what 4 will do.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp Yes I'll try to take the extra metformin. I was only on two a day and he said he likes people to be on 4 for maximum benefits. Given I have slightly high cholesterol and my dad's family riddled with heart disease it seems a reasonable suggestion. Just going to take some B12 supplement as I think it can have an effect on that and I don't want my aches and pains to get any worse and I'm daft enough without memory loss.
@Jamrox and @peacetrain I had a smallish waist once over- 24 inches- most of my weight has always been on my bum and hips- now it seems to be coming off round my ribs and hips and leaving me with a wobbly bit in the middle. I need to do more toning exercises and maybe get a hula hoop! Tbh I am just glad the weight is coming off at all as I have struggled for so long dieting and nothing happened. The metformin has certainly suppressed my appetite as often I get bored half way through dinner and just leave it. Goodness knows what 4 will do.
Yes I remember my 24" waist too! I'll never see it again but I will work on a considerable reduction. I am grateful for my weight loss success so I shouldn't moan!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is not a spam message, for anyone in doubt........

Have any of you walkers had a look at this website? www.borrowmydoggy.com I don't have any connection to the site, but it looks like a fun way to have a pooch to walk from time to time. I would absolutely love to have another dog (or a pair), but our lifestyle would just be too cruel on any animals.

My OH is less keen, on the basis you don't have to actually own a dog for it to break your heart (when it goes to doggy heaven), but I can probably work on that.......... ;)
Hmm, yes @AndBreathe ,
I can understand why you would want to, but I would worry about all sorts of things (like, has the dog been well trained; would I be responsible if it misbehaved and caused damage whilst in my care etc). I have the advantage of son and daughter in law living near so I help rhem by calling on their dog when they are at work. Helps them, the dog, and gives me opportunity to exercise, without the responsibility of ownership. (Apart from helping with vet fees, but I see that as part of the territory of being a parent, financing offspring never ends).

If you are that keen is there a dog rescue centre nearby? They always need volunteers.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my waist is also 36". I wish I had measured right at the beginning but I didn't think to. I measured 4 months ago when I was 2 stones lighter than I am now and it was 39". When I was normal size, years ago, I never had a big tummy. I was pear shaped. Now I'm apple. My legs are getting skinny. My BMI is 28.8 and I need to lose 1st 12lb to get to the top end of my normal range.
How to get rid of the fat on my tum? Just keep plodding. Perhaps I should do more swimming.

As you probably know, I do advocate swimming and water exercise. It is good fat burning exercise, and less stress for sore joints. (Boring, I know, yawn!) think when much weight has been lost then specific toning exercises for the problem area may be needed. Unfortunately, for women of a certain age that tends to be tummy. So Pilates, or hula hoop, (real or imaginary hula hoop) maybe?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I remember my 24" waist too! I'll never see it again but I will work on a considerable reduction. I am grateful for my weight loss success so I shouldn't moan!

You work hard for that weight loss, so feel free to moan. Don't think you are moaning though. It helps to know how others are getting on.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
When I was diagnosed my waist was 45". This is the proper measurement at navel level, not the one most men apparently use which is below the beer belly! I'm now at 39", and can wear the 34" waist trousers that I got for Christmas two years ago and had never worn (beer belly not so pronounced now!). The newish 38" ones have gone to the charity shop and the 36" ones are increasingly loose.

Reactions: 9 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Rod. I have no idea what my waist is or was, I only know that when I go back in January I don't want them using the tape that looks like they are measuring Jonathan Edward's medal winning jump.

Reactions: 6 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
[QUOTE="Pollylocks,

@Jamrox[/USER] nice start to the day we don't have many of them round this way emerging from the sea unfortunately...o_O

Have to say my hubby scrubs up well . He didn't know I'd taken it.

Reactions: 4 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Yes, I am thinking belly fat is the last to go.

Seems to be with me.
My new challenge to me is to get to my waist to 34 inches.

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So today's offering: 31 minutes on bike. 15 mins walk in town. 1 and 1/2 hrs painting wall of doom. 8 coats down, 2 to go. Praying it keeps the rain out in the winter.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A busy day. Needed milk, so off to supermarket, literally sprinted round huge place, held trolley and dashed. Much progress from my early trolley strolling in past weeks, but very breathless for a good while after my 4 minute dash.
Home to vigorous vacuum cleaning really worked up a sweat, 15 minutes.
Swimming pool 50 mins aquafit and 15 mins swimming. I worked very hard, and feel better for it especially as I now seem to have got the need for eating rubbishy carbs that stemmed from testing limits a few weeks ago.
Wish I could hit my own like button here, because I am well pleased with myself. Even though I am tired, and exercise takes up so much time lots of other stuff gets left.

Reactions: 5 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you probably know, I do advocate swimming and water exercise. It is good fat burning exercise, and less stress for sore joints. (Boring, I know, yawn!) think when much weight has been lost then specific toning exercises for the problem area may be needed. Unfortunately, for women of a certain age that tends to be tummy. So Pilates, or hula hoop, (real or imaginary hula hoop) maybe?
I've often wondered about Pilates. I might see if there's a class locally.

I've never been able to keep a hula hoop going ... One of my biggest disappointments in life :-( . So it will have to be an invisible one. I might also restart my YouTube Zumba because that was quite effective. :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I couldn't manage more than half a minute of planking today, so did some beginners' burpees instead, plus 40 minute walk and 10 on the rower.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
.....back to walking yesterday at lunchtime but I did get distracted as I went by the new World War 1 memorial arch, 14 metres high, don't know how they managed to cover it before it was opened but they did, very impressive and the surrounding area has been turned into a mini 'park' with large slabs of granite on the walls giving some facts of what happened in the war, thousands of knitted poppies covering the fencing and railings....felt like a nice peaceful place to go, so a fitting memorium to the soldiers who went down the Road of Remembrance here...

...anyway, finished the 40 minute walk, done dusted and completed..:)