Spreading The Lchf Word Together, Maybe The Way Forward?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello there, sadly it's unlikely that I will be able to make it but I wouldn't mind having my details included if @Debandez could let me know what is needed (before and after pictures, weight details etc.) :)
sounds as if it could be brilliant ;)
Fantastic!!! I'm going to be working on it over the next week or so and will be in touch if that's ok. Great news that you fine with sharing. Thank you so much.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I obviously understand your requests for those in remission/resolved/controlled to give their story and attend if possible but if you only appeal to them to attend you’ll be preaching to the choir as it were.

It is those who are new to diabetes or who haven’t been educated in a long time that need to hear these stories and will benefit enormously from those stories. We need to get as many non-LC’ers there as possible. After all it’s those we are trying to educate the benefits to. Maybe a sticky on the new to diabetes forum and publicising this in places other than these forums but where tradiational managed diabetics will here about it. Not sure how though....

Reactions: DJC3

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get it into local what’s on guides and papers?

Ask any of those new to LC who attend for feedback after the event for future publication of anecdotal results/spreading the success of LC and promoting the usefulness and benefits of such meetups.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Ask any of those new to LC who attend for feedback after the event for future publication of anecdotal results/spreading the success of LC and promoting the usefulness and benefits of such meetups.
LOVE IT!!!!!! just away for the day but catch up in full tonight.

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Woo hoo! It’s fantastic seeing it all written down!
I’ll be along with a low carb carrot cake, I don’t mind staying overnight either before or after to help set up or clear up afterwards. This is so exciting, I might just have to change my Avatar to the real me or no one will recognise me! :joyful:
We could get t-shirts printed with our Avatars on the front as that is how we know each other and some # on the back for a twitter feed? Getting carried away now....

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I obviously understand your requests for those in remission/resolved/controlled to give their story and attend if possible but if you only appeal to them to attend you’ll be preaching to the choir as it were.

It is those who are new to diabetes or who haven’t been educated in a long time that need to hear these stories and will benefit enormously from those stories. We need to get as many non-LC’ers there as possible. After all it’s those we are trying to educate the benefits to. Maybe a sticky on the new to diabetes forum and publicising this in places other than these forums but where tradiational managed diabetics will here about it. Not sure how though....
Ive just sent a resume to diabetes.co.uk for them to ok before I post. Once it's got the go ahead I'm winging it everywhere!!! Everyone welcome. You should hopefully see it soon :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
1st Sept in Birmingham it's a date!

A few will be going the night before if you can join us. Just waiting for diabetes.co.uk to confirm venue then we can book accomodation.

Also I've sent them something to check is ok before I post on here anywhere and everywhere advertising the event and giving details of what it's about and who it's for (everyone). Once they ok it I'm posting.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@xfieldok made a great suggestion re speaking to own gp and dn also. I've made appointments for both for next week. Just a discussion for the time being. Not sure where that will go but it's worth coming at it from that angle too I think. What's everyone's thoughts?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Im going to see if natalie from their press office can help with this suggestion. Brilliant thanks.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We could get t-shirts printed with our Avatars on the front as that is how we know each other and some # on the back for a twitter feed? Getting carried away now....
T shirts is good! Avatars may change, i know mine has, changes like the wind!!! A few of us have discussed a name for the group in a few emails (this could go on our t shirs) and that was fun and got silly (but really funny!!!) i couldnt wait for hubby to get in from work to read them all out. I was laughing so much. He had this kind of blank expression,,,,followed by a nervous laugh throwing his head back .....awkwardly... he didnt get it .....which made me laugh again!!!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a very quick update on the planned event on 1st September in Birmingham, DCUK think they have the perfect venue for us and are hoping to get back to us with details very soon so I expect to put out further details in the next day or so. I will also give you a run down of where we are up to with everything. Exciting times. DCUK will be designing invitations. Very official it will be :) that said the events that they run are relaxed affairs, I love the sound of that. Thanks for all your input everyone, it really has been amazing.

Reactions: carol43

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ANOTHER VERY QUICK UPDATE (I have guests arriving this weekend so limited time - sorry)

Sorry for bold and CAPITALS Im really not shouting.

FIRSTLY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT AND HELP/ADVICE ON THIS - INVALUABLE

DATE - Saturday 1st September - planned event (informal) supported by DCUK.
NB - FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE ON EARLIER THREADS CONFIRMED YOUR ATTENDANCE AND IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE DEFINITELY ATTENDING SO THAT DCUK CAN SEND YOU A PERSONAL INVITE - THANKS

VENUE
We now know the venue will be central Birmingham. Although the actual venue is still to be confirmed. Because of this we are not yet sure of maximum numbers that we can have there. If you are interested please let me know as soon as possible.

DAY
BEFORE
Some of us are going up the day before to make the most of the event, please let me know if you would like to go the the day before and I will give you further details.

The event will be coordinated by DCUK who have been amazing in sorting venue, lunch and general assistance.

SCHEDULE

• Lots of people there experienced in LCHF woe to chat to (it will be an informal event). People who have succeeded very well in reaching their goal of gaining control of BS usually with the added bonus of weight loss.
Lots of info to pick up:
  • How to reduce HBA1C to enjoy life without complications
  • LCHF receipes including breakfast, lunches, meals and desserts (please send any you would like to be included to me or if you prefer please add them on this thread)
  • Cholesterol information as many people worry when setting off on this woe that it may have detrimental effect on them
  • Inspirational stories for you to read about - if you are happy to share your journey in the booklet let me know on this thread
  • Before and after photos - please let me know if you would like to inspire others by sharing yours.
  • Exercise ideas
  • Fasting and how it can be incorporated into your lifestyle
  • the importance of monitors and finger pricking

THE MAIN EVENT AT THE EVENT!

We intend to have a photo taken of how we look after following this woe and with our BIG clothes on. It will be obviously linked in to the fact that we have taken control of our Diabetes and reduced our HBA1c levels significantly to avoid future complications with this woe. It's not just about 'look how much weight we have lost'. Only for people happy to have their photo taken - there will be a videographer, photographer and PR team there to capture the event, this will help spread the word far and wide about how amazing the LCHF woe is for Diabetics, and for people who generally want to have better health. This is a fantastic opportunity and our chance to get the message across to a wider audience. T-Shirts may be provided by DCUK for photo (to be confirmed)
***Anyone interested in joining in on the BIG photo please let me know as soon as possible***

Really looking forward to meeting up with fellow diabetics, I feel there is very little support for us out there in the community, and to this brilliant opportunity to spread the LCHF word and, fingers crossed, it will have the desired ripple effect!!! :)

THANK YOU:)

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant - looking forward to it! Do you have any idea of start time and how long it might last? To help me and others make travel plans.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Superstar! I’ve only just found this particular thread and read your newspaper article. Really well done and once again I’m sorry I can’t be there on 1 Sep.
Attending Desmond this week has put more steel into my own determination to get the LCHF message out there.
I am hoping that by my 3 month point I will have Hba1C below 40 (from 66), weight below 88kg (from 101kg), and Cholestrol, BP and liver function all improved. If I get there I’ll be more than happy to be success story - although even with lower weight I don’t photograph as well as you!
This website is brilliant- it has literally changed my life. However, it is a tight community, albeit welcoming to newbies. Do we need to make more of a splash in mainstream social media with a LCHF group on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and a #LCHF campaign on Twitter. A thread on here could be used for people to post links for people to share in those groups and their own timelines.
Participants would need to be willing to surrender more anonymity in those forums of course, but (and I never thought I’d say this) I would be happy to.
In short I want you to succeed. Let’s make LCHF the accepted norm. Let’s show the establishment that the world isn’t flat.

Reactions: Goonergal

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just flaking a little at my keyboard....UNTIL I GOT YOUR POST! That perked me up, I'm ready for another 2 hour stint now! Hopefully there will be a next one and we can meet there. There will be lots of feedback on this one I;m sure, and fingers crossed a lot of that will be in the media. You just never know we might end up sitting with Holly and Phil, but I'm not sure we would all fit on that sofa even though we have lost weight :)

Be prepared to be offered tea and biscuits on the DESMOND course! But take your orange box with you and hop up and spread the LCHF word.

Send me your story (1 page A4 if poss) and I will pop you in our booklet. You are doing so well and deserve a mention even with your current results :) good luck with the next set of results, let us know how it goes.

Yes it needs to get out there. All over the place tbh. But fingers crossed we will make at the very least a bit of a wave! I thought a change.org STOP KILLING US (subtle I am) might grab some attention.