Spreading The Lchf Word Together, Maybe The Way Forward?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7/3/15 diagnosis of A1c 97mmol/L, weight 13st 1lb (83kg)
19/7/18 A1c 39mmol/L, weight 8st 6lbs (54kg)
A bit more to add to the total.

NOTED!!! 64LB WEIGHT LOSS!!!!
what an amazing achievement @carol43 - you must be floating on air (especially with that weight loss!!!).
I love your Avatar - so funny

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant news @Terrytiddy well done you and delighted that you are happy to join in and sounds like it will be 4 stones for the total calculator!
@Debandez great that date is confirmed really looking forward to it
@geefull know you can’t make it down to Birmingham but are you happy to add your weight loss to the target if so @Debandez could PM you about details needed

hello there, sadly it's unlikely that I will be able to make it but I wouldn't mind having my details included if @Debandez could let me know what is needed (before and after pictures, weight details etc.) :)
sounds as if it could be brilliant ;)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @PenguinMum I did see your post. I've read them all but unfortunately haven't had time to reply individually up to now and a quick 'like' or 'winner' has to suffice! Getting my son ready for his Tomorrowland festival. At 26 years of age you would have thought he could do this himself haha!!! Still my baby. I usually reply when I get a free slot in my day. I would LOVE to include your fabulous journey details on this LCHF woe. It's like magic isn't it!!! I still have to pinch myself at how little I have felt hungry!!! My cholestrol did go up but after @bulkbiker explained that all to me the worry disappeared.

Don't worry about photos, not everyone loves a selfie as much as I do haha. I go everywhere with my stick. I do holiday blogs and have done for years so it's kind of second nature. But not so for the majority. Your story is all I need. But it would be great if you could make the meeting. No need to get in front of any camera there either!!! Its only for those who are truly comfy with it. But again please don't worry if you can't as you can still help me get everything together that will make an interesting and worthwhile event.
Sounds like a plan then. Will be very interesting.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello there, sadly it's unlikely that I will be able to make it but I wouldn't mind having my details included if @Debandez could let me know what is needed (before and after pictures, weight details etc.) :)
sounds as if it could be brilliant ;)
THats wonderful sure @Debandez will be back to you ASAP
Your story is amazing

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
*** HELP REQUIRED PLEASE ***

I've had lots of offers of help so I'm going to take someone up on it if that's ok.

Is there perhaps someone out there with a passion for food (she says tongue in cheek).

I'm looking at getting some really good low carb recipes together. Maybe 20 or so. A selection between starters, mains and desserts. And we will include a cheese board selection (giggles).

For a laugh we could include 'drinks on offer' and maybe put a selection of popular drinks and their carb equivalent instead of the price. Mixer drinks as well as beers and wines.

I think maybe a thread asking for favourite recipes might do it but that might be reinventing the wheel. I'm not really into cooking so don't go actively looking for recipes on here. I'm a kind of throw it all in the wok kinda girl!!!

If we get about 20 top recipes I can get hubby on the case to put them in a little booklet and we can give out on the day.

Plus it spreads the word about our Event on Saturday 1st September.

What do you all think? Is there anyone who would like to do that?

Thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a lovely recipe for roast chicken in pork scratching crumbs. Trouble is its dated 2005 so is in copyright. Happy to give book title and author but what would the forum policy be @Administrator?

Reactions: Debandez

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for putting all the ideas together @Debandez all very exciting and brilliant that it’s happenning.
I agree,as you know, with @Goonergal that our biggest strength is with our life experiences and this should be a key part of the event like a celebration.
I work part time as a carer consultant at a lot of events that aim to influence the way medical practitioners work with families of those with serious mental health issues and in my experience these lived experiences are the most powerful thing in terms of turning the titanic. Often they are the message and inspiration to change people take away.

I think this is a fantastic idea all meeting up, I also agree that people with experience probably hit harder than just having Doctors spouting on all the time. The people you are aiming at will possibly take more notice of people that have been there and got the t-shirt.

Sorry I cannot be there with you all but I live abroad and have family visiting at that time.

Good luck with it all and hope you have a big day for all your efforts and can turn the titanic!!.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
*** HELP REQUIRED PLEASE ***

I've had lots of offers of help so I'm going to take someone up on it if that's ok.

Is there perhaps someone out there with a passion for food (she says tongue in cheek).

I'm looking at getting some really good low carb recipes together. Maybe 20 or so. A selection between starters, mains and desserts. And we will include a cheese board selection (giggles).

For a laugh we could include 'drinks on offer' and maybe put a selection of popular drinks and their carb equivalent instead of the price. Mixer drinks as well as beers and wines.

I think maybe a thread asking for favourite recipes might do it but that might be reinventing the wheel. I'm not really into cooking so don't go actively looking for recipes on here. I'm a kind of throw it all in the wok kinda girl!!!

If we get about 20 top recipes I can get hubby on the case to put them in a little booklet and we can give out on the day.

Plus it spreads the word about our Event on Saturday 1st September.

What do you all think? Is there anyone who would like to do that?

Thanks
Maybe also add cakes and breakfast ideas? I could offer some cake ideas but one of issues is that although recipes are changed and adapted they are based on other recipes like Nigella and diet doctor etc which could be an issue if printed out?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this is a fantastic idea all meeting up, I also agree that people with experience probably hit harder than just having Doctors spouting on all the time. The people you are aiming at will possibly take more notice of people that have been there and got the t-shirt.

Sorry I cannot be there with you all but I live abroad and have family visiting at that time.

Good luck with it all and hope you have a big day for all your efforts and can turn the titanic!!.

great feedback - encouraging - thanks for this. Being behind us means so much.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe also add cakes and breakfast ideas? I could offer some cake ideas but one of issues is that although recipes are changed and adapted they are based on other recipes like Nigella and diet doctor etc which could be an issue if printed out?

what about if we make it all about recipes we have concocted ourselves? no issues there :)

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been off the forum for a while (too much work :() but just seen this and think it is a fab idea. I am in. And handily live in the Midlands, very close to Stratford on Avon! But I realise the location for an event has moved on from here...
I haven't read all the replies, so not 100% clear on what the 'event' is but happy to get involved and help where/if I can. Feel free to message me @Debandez or I will try and keep up with the thread now I am on it.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been off the forum for a while (too much work :() but just seen this and think it is a fab idea. I am in. And handily live in the Midlands, very close to Stratford on Avon! But I realise the location for an event has moved on from here...
I haven't read all the replies, so not 100% clear on what the 'event' is but happy to get involved and help where/if I can. Feel free to message me @Debandez or I will try and keep up with the thread now I am on it.
Brilliant news I remember your inspirational story on the thread and the meeting is not far from you in Stratford and there’s a train service if you can make 1st September date ? I’m sure @Debandez will get back to you re what’s needed re your weight loss etc.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
what about if we make it all about recipes we have concocted ourselves? no issues there :)
Just wondering aloud if we struggle with copyright free recipes how about something more along the lines of great online resources for recipes for low carbers and also hints and tips for low carb cooking? Could include ideas then such as the pork scratchings for breadcrumbs etc etc. We’ve discussed loads of ideas and tips on the low carb what did you eat thread. Do you want me to start looking at this in next day or two? I could put a plea out there for a few more general hints and tips for low carb cooking what do you think? I believe I’d have found it helpful when setting out in addition to diet doctor.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering aloud if we struggle with copyright free recipes how about something more along the lines of great online resources for recipes for low carbers and also hints and tips for low carb cooking? Could include ideas then such as the pork scratchings for breadcrumbs etc etc. We’ve discussed loads of ideas and tips on the low carb what did you eat thread. Do you want me to start looking at this in next day or two? I could put a plea out there for a few more general hints and tips for low carb cooking what do you think? I believe I’d have found it helpful when setting out in addition to diet doctor.

great idea shelley and much appreciated - if you dont mind and have time. thanks so much

Reactions: shelley262

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

music to my ears @caroline_92 Fantastic to have you on board. All help appreciated in any shape or form.

Event date confirmed = saturday 1st september (some going up Friday and staying over....let me know if you can make it - fingers crossed you can). Venue in Birmingham Diabetes.co.uk sorting for us as well as low carb lunch. Agenda being worked on but when you read the thread you will get the gist. They will kick it off with a guest speaker. Its very exciting as press will be there (fingers crossed) and we will be having a group photo advocating what we have lost in a short space of time on LCHF woe to out this beast in remission/reverse or control. Trying to incorporate the way diabetes is currently dealt with as being totally inappropriate (leading to it being progressive). Shouting out for anyone with HBA1c of 41 and over to get monitors. Basically just fighting oiur corner any which way! THANKS.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
great idea shelley and much appreciated - if you dont mind and have time. thanks so much
Hi Debra will work on it and see how it goes - I will put a plea out if needed but will start with my own knowledge gained over last 11 months and then put appeal out for help and ideas when can see where gaps are. Meanwhile if anyone reading this has anything they’d like to share send it to me or put a note on this thread and I’ll pick it up.

Reactions: Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Debra will work on it and see how it goes - I will put a plea out if needed but will start with my own knowledge gained over last 11 months and then put appeal out for help and ideas when can see where gaps are. Meanwhile if anyone reading this has anything they’d like to share send it to me or put a note on this thread and I’ll pick it up.

Brilliant, thanks for this - thanks @shelley262