starting newcastle diet on 2nd jan

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Only lost a pound this week but BG's still around 5 or 6, sometimes the high fours so all is well :) Good to see everyone else is doing so well!!
I have had six cups of tea with a splash of milk in them this week, so that might be why the weight loss has slowed down :oops:
I have two weeks four days left... I think it is going to drag lol

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
weigh day tomorrow hoping for a reasoanble loss fingers xd

Made some low carb muffins yday tried one to see if it spiked me and it didnt so when im finished this things are looking good for alternatives to carb laden foods

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
cheers go bodly got a stonker of a cold like, not going to say flu but feel terrible, my bg are slightly up but that'll be due to cold need to shake it off so cycling to work in morning blast it away lol

Immis

Right then, 2nd week down...time for the 2nd week weigh in.

Starting weight 2 weeks ago: 111.7kg
Last week weigh in: 106.7kg
Todays weigh in: 101.5kg
So, 10.2kg so far or 1 stone 8.5lbs

Highest BG has been 5.1 (only once) otherwise its between 3.9 - 4.9.

Nicest thing about today's weigh in is that it buts my BMI from well in the obese to now into the overwieght category...nice !!!

bluehils

Hi All
Monday update.
Weight 185lbs so only 3lbs off this week. Total 25lbs
FBG 4.9 so happy with that
The only thing I`m not happy with is my visceral fat level is still reluctant to drop much. Still at 13% (started diet at 17%)
even though total body fat is down from 23.6 to 17.8%.
Every one is doing really well - I had expected at least one of us would have dropped off the wagon by now!!

Immis

Great results Geordie. Keep it up.
Was thinking that a few of you are coming to the end of the diet soon. It would be great if you guys could keep up the updates with what your diets are then and the effects on your BG.

I too am having difficulty shifting visceral fat. Maybe it's the old saying of 'fat goes on the stomach first and comes off it last'...

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
hi all
Weigh day today another 2lbs off, down to 15st 6lbs, pleased with that tbh if i can keep that up ill hit my targets in a month or so, but in reality im going to continue what im doing for a while longer.

I made some low carb muffins over the weekend and they are lovely, help take the urges away without spiking the bg's, i think that is the secret tbh there are alternatives out there, find the ones that suit you most and lets be right this is about stabilising our sugars not just about weight loss, lets all think about it as a lifestyle choice not a diet, I will start eating meat again but only in moderation, and if i can find low carb alternatives to the foods i enjoy then great if i cant well they wont get eaten or only on rare occassions.

Other than this dam cold i have never felt better and its a real confidence boost when someone comments on how much weight youve lost and or how good you look.......yet too happen but heres hoping lol

beancounter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done all - hope your cold/flu is improved soon, Geordie :)

I feel like falling off the wagon to be honest - this last week has been hard but i stuck with it. It was hard to carry on when i had only lost a pound... Still, only just over a fortnight left, so I am determined to stick with it!!

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi Bean Keep going any weight loss is better than putting it on
Your body will slow down, plateau etc but stick at it and it will restart again.
The recomended weight loss is around 1-2 pounds a week so still on track and remember the weight loss is a bonus its the sugars that are more important

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi Guys,

I'm right at the halfway point of my 8 weeks.

I got bored of weighing myself and taking morning and evening BG's after a couple of weeks; so now I only do so once a week - which is today. :D

When I started, back on 17/01/12 my vital statistics were:

Weight = 17st 10 lbs
Morning BG = 7
Evening BG = 7.2

My readings today 14/02/12 are as follows:

Weight = 16st 4lbs
Morning BG = 4.0
Evening BG = not taken it yet :wink:

I'm finding it remarkably easy to stick to the diet regime, BUT, I am not measuring the amount of food accurately. I stick religiously to the 3 shakes per day, but have far more soup, veg and salad than the portion sizes recommended. Despite this, as you can all see, the weight is still coming off.

So far I have done no exercise; but intend to start doing so soon (about a weeks time) when my weight gets below 16 stone.

I actually enjoy the 3 shakes per day and will probably keep this discipline up after the 8 weeks has ended. I like the thought of just one meal per day and will alternate it between breakfast, lunches and dinners to add a good range of variety.

No sugar cravings OR booze cravings - :shock: :lol:

Althought I've saved a small fortune on food and drink it will also cost me a small fortune shortly on new clothes and belts, etc as everything is feeling too big for me now. :twisted:

Stay positive everyone and I'll pop back with a progress report next Tuesday

Palmygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Geordie and those undertaking the Newcastle Diet. I've really enjoying this thread and thanks Geordie for starting it all off. I read the Newcastle study last year and contacted Dr Taylor to get further information, as I figured anything that might assist my body to deal with Type II has to be worth a go.

I'm finding all your posts really encouraging and I feel I would like to give it a go. My dilemma is that I live in the middle of the Pacific with very limited resources so will have to wait until I go to NZ or Australia to purchase the shakes. I'd be grateful if I could get an idea of personal preferences for shakes and why you prefer one over the other, and indeed, if they are all the same. Fortunately the one thing I have in abundance is vegetables as out here fruit and vegetables grow at an alarming rate and we have a fabulous vegetable market in the middle of the town.

I've been on Metformin for a year now with only a barely discernable change to my blood sugar level. If I eat a modified Atkins high-protein diet I can keep them around the 6 - 7, but even so much as a tomato or glass of milk throws them up into the 8-9s and higher. So my intention is to see if I can bring about a decrease in blood sugar level (and weight loss) with this regime and then revert to the high protein diet. And of course I need to exercise so will incorporate walking and a bit of swimming.

I look forward to your comments and will keep up with this thread.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi palmygal, ardbeg

Excellent figures ardbeg well done

Palmygal, my personal preference is the chocolate and strawberry slimfast, the vanilla is ok but cant get away with the caffe latte, it just tastes like cold coffee. A little tip would be to buy enough in one go to last the eight weeks.

An interesting night last night though, as it was valentines night i took my wife out for a meal, the first time in seven weeks that i have eaten real food. I will describe what i had, no dont all floodf your rooms with saliva lol

I had a:-

1 slice of ciabatta with herb butter and olives to start.
a rare fillet steak with black pudding(thats pigs blood formed into a sausage lol), with a mushroom and red wine sauce and a green mixed salad......(no chips!!!!!!)
Then the really bad part.......
A chocolate fondant cake called (mini etna) with a scoop of vanilla ice cream
and one glass of red wine

Apparently the whole meal tasted amazing but as im loaded with cold i couldnt really taste it lol

The most important bit though was my bg

Before i had my meal it was 5.0
Two hours after it was..................................................5.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldnt believe it, maybe this diet thing is working!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best thing was also that i didnt feel like i needed to eat for england either, what i had was enough to satisfy me and now im back on the wagon for another week of weigh loss.

Keep the faith

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I'm a convert.

It works

I'm sticking to it

I'll be doing 4 or 5 weeks of it every year to make sure my weight and BG stays within sensible limits

evensteve

I finished my version of the Newcastle diet about a week ago. Last night I had my usual tea, plus 150g of peanuts, a generous slice of cream cake, several jelly babies, almost a whole tube of pringles and a couple of cream crackers, spread over the remainder of the evening.

Result : This mornings bg = 4.2

It does work. Its not a cure, but its the next best thing by far. Good luck to all and keep it up. I was skeptical, but now I'm a believer. If I have to do this every six months, I will, its worth it, just to get of the mefartin. :D

Immis

Geordie,

That's a very positive result with the BG after a meal such as that !!!

I was very unromantic and had my usual bowl of homemade soup (with the promise of taking my wife out somewhere nice after the diet is over)

Evensteve,

Talk about making up for lost time !!! lol
But again great to know that your Bg are controlling themselves.

Palmygal,
I use the Optislim shakes. The diet used the Optifast ones, which as far as I can tell are the same as the ones I am taking except with slightly more nutrients. The Optislim also seems to have a pretty decent choice of flavours, 90% of which are very nice.

evensteve

Immis: I did lose control a bit :oops: But I'm back on the wagon this morning. I need to loose about another stone to get my BMI firmly into the normal range. Over the 8 weeks my blood pressure has come down from 170/95 to 125/80 as well. I had my bloods taken yesterday morning at my local hospital, in preparation for my first visit to the consultant next week, so I'll get my HbA1c results back then. For anyone following this thread, you can beef up the protien levels of the slimfast shakes with whey protien from Holland & Barrett (I got mine when it was buy one, get one half price) if you are concerned about the carb/protien ratio in Slimfast.

Immis

Evensteve,

That's all good, everyone has to let loose once in a while.

I'm intending on carrying on with the diet (albeit in a less drastic form~) after the 8 weeks are up to.

The thing that is getting me is that after looking at everyones figure on here, I don't know what to think about mine.
When I was diagnosed last october my BP was 140/82. It's now 105/70.
Before my diet my BG was down to around 6.0, its now between 3.1 and 4.9.
I mean mine really weren't that bad in the first place I don't think.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
immis those figures are outstanding, i would even say non diabetic lol (altho im not a medically trained person etc etc yada yada)

At end of day if we hold back the onset of any diabetic compplications for a significant period of time with diet alone then all is good, this isnt a cure but it is a bloody good way of us controlling the diabetes not the other way around and lets be right its not that difficult to do..... I wish id known about it 9 nine years ago.

Can you imagine if you had access to this site and the information on these posts the same time as you were diagnosed then it would have been so easy to do something about straight away.