STATIN USERS - QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
Re: statins

I started on Simvastatin a couple of months ago, and got such severe muscle pains that my doc switched me to Pravastatin. Not so bad, but my blood sugar has gone up. I've upped my CoQ10 but so far no effect. Annoying, because my blood sugar went down when I started taking it last year. I've read that coQ10 can get depleted on statins, but how much and on what dose? My Doc didn't know and was dubious about it.

I have a blood test in a couple of weeks to see of the Statin has brought down my Cholesterol. Although as it's currently 4.8 it wasn't that high to begin with! My LDL v. HDL was not so good last year though. Unfortunately my Doc didn't check the LDL/HDL ratio at this years annual blood test, so I've no idea if my revised diet has helped this.

etmsreec

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm at a bit of a loss here. It has been suggested a couple of times that I might do well to take statins, though my cholesterol level is normal. Since I'm on enough medication anyway (gluten-free diet, Novorapid and Levemir, sulfamethoxypyridazine) it seems silly to take more medication if I really don't need it.

What's got me at more of a loss though is this: where the heck did the statin revolution come from? Ten years ago I was totally unaware of them. Now it seems everybody should be on them for healthy living!

Do these things really have a sensible place in diabetes care or are they just the New New Thing to keep the pharma companies going?

neenahbob

Dislikes
air fares cos cant get 'home' so much

I was first put on stains by my GP in the UK before we came to live here, so I guess I had been on them for about 7-8 yrs. I noticed I was getting tired, listless, aching joint and mucsles etc after about 1 yr but put it down to work overload. ( I was a serving paramedic at the time ) When I retired & came here I read an article in the CBN by Dr Willis ( come back doc ) and I then discovered that one of the biggest side effects of statins was weakness in bones and muscle structure. Fortunately my Doc here recognised this and said that as I was going on to insulin she would try alternatives. The first attempt was spot on. I now take 1 Omacar morning and night time plus 1x10mg tablet called Ezetrol. After being on this regime for a couple of months my aches and pains went. My last blood test showed cholesterol within guidelines. It sure cured my side effects but like everything else, what suits one doesn't suit all. NEVER come off statins without asking your doc and ask their advice on other remedies.

Good luck
Bob

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.

Hi all,
I was given Simvestatin about three years ago and after about three months i noticed my feet started to realy hurt.
This got so bad it was so painfull I could hardly stand let alone walk.
After some investgation I decided to stop taking them and it slowly oh and I do mean slowly get better.
It still hurts to stand and walk even after almost two years since I stopped taking them.
Keep a carefull eye on all joints and any pain stop taking.
Graham 007 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Kathleen Mc

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I have been told that my cholesterol levels are too high for my type 1 diabetes and have to take a statin medication. not sure of the exact one til i collect it tomorrow.
the doctor told me that the side effects could be any of the following:
muscle pain, joint pain, sleeping disorders and weight gain. he also told me to inform the doctor if i experience any of them.

i was told my cholesterol was too high back in april but hte dod didn't want to put me on statins because of my age (36) and wanted to see if htey came down with the other meds I was put on (thyroid). I decided to take benecol to see if that made any difference.

so, after 3.5 months on the benecol, my levels went down 0.1!!!! what a waste of money!!!

can anyone tell me what the acceptable levels of cholesterol are for type 1 diabetes sufferers?

danjwilson

Statins and aches'n'pains

Hi All,

New to the forum. Diagnosed Type 2 two years ago aged 41. Didn't handle it well in the beginning! Doing better now. Quack's put me on Simvastatin about 12 months ago "as a precautionary measure" given my relatively young age for getting DMT2. Been having lower back (lumbar muscle) pain when getting up in morning and after sitting for a period of time for several months now (maybe longer). Could this be associated with the statins? I've not really associated it before, but reading the forums I've started to wonder.

Any thoughts?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Re: Statins and aches'n'pains

Do you know what your cholesterol readings are? (Lipid profile) Always ask for a printout of your blood test results - you will see the progress or improvement as the years go by.

As it is precautionary, I suggest you simply stop taking simv & see what happens. Idid. Intense muscle pains went in about a week.

danjwilson

I can't tell you what my cholesterol profile is, as the last time it was checked (nearly six months ago, so due for another) the doc just said it was fine and responding to the treatment (I think these GP's tend to keep details from you as they believe everyone lack's sufficient intelligence to understand them, which is certainly not the case!).
This time I'll ask for LDL and HDL, as I understand the ratio is equally (if not more) important as the absolute value.
I'm curious whether it contributes / causes the aches, so I'm going to try the week or so off them and see what shakes loose!

Thanks for the reply.

JSL

Type of diabetes
Type 1

:) Hi all,

I was on Atorvastatin from 2003 but in 2009 I started getting pains in my legs. Last month my GP stopped the drug as I could hardly walk unaided. Within 2 weeks I was back to normal. He is currently considering an alternative after a current muscle injury has healed. (I left it too late to drop the lead rope on one of my goats when she took off! led to badly torn biceps - not fun)

I have read your posts with great interest - not that I would try to influence my GP as he should know by now what affects me...............I hope.
JSL

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.

You hit the nail right on the head, "HE SHOULD KNOW", how GP`s work is "just try this one, oh it dont work, ok try this one".
The name says it all General Practitioner they generaly practice on us.

Graham007 :twisted: :twisted:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi danj
I also suggest that you ask for a print out of your blood results I find them a good way to check what is going on even though I dont understand all of it :? I had to sign that I would allow ME to remove a copy of MY results in case I lost them,denied having them, and sued the surgery if someone else found and read them.This only happened this last time but you never know this crazy thing could be lurking at a surgery near you :!:
CAROL

TheScribbler

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Statins and pancreatitis

I have read that one of the rare side-effects of statins is pancreatitis. As I became diabetic through acute attacks of pancreatitis, I'm assuming I might be more likely than most to suffer from this side effect, so am not taking statins. Are there any alternatives to statins that don't carry the risk of pancreatitis?

TOMKATE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: STATIN QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

I find this thread very interesting as I am type 2 for 1 & 1/2 years now and have used Flora for many years and had Bezalip prescribed by a Consultant for lipids many years ago.

I find the Dr automatically prescribes certain drugs to all Diabetic patients regardless (and prescribed statins like some other drugs give a Dr extra cash each time as an incentive) - so as my cholesterol is only 4 or less I didn't see the need to take them as very healthy heart etc at 73 and Bezalip suits me better

Its important to take the drugs you need and beware of side effects otherwise you are adding to problems you already have

Also I now ask for blood results so that I can keep an eye on how things are progressing - my surgery tries to charge me £5 per sheet but I refuse to put more cash into Drs pockets and as I like to discuss these results I refuse to pay (it costs a few pence to print a sheet on the computer)

Diabetics have to look after themselves and you can't do that properly if you rely on Drs saying vaguely that the results are OK

Although my initial Hba1c was 6.3 it went down to 5.5 October 09 and then 5.7 in May 2010 so thanks for all the helpful advice about low carbing etc on this site its been more useful than any information at the surgery or books that I bought

Kate

copperend

TOMKATE said:
I find this thread very interesting as I am type 2 for 1 & 1/2 years now and have used Flora for many years and had Bezalip prescribed by a Consultant for lipids many years ago.

I find the Dr automatically prescribes certain drugs to all Diabetic patients regardless (and prescribed statins like some other drugs give a Dr extra cash each time as an incentive) - so as my cholesterol is only 4 or less I didn't see the need to take them as very healthy heart etc at 73 and Bezalip suits me better

Its important to take the drugs you need and beware of side effects otherwise you are adding to problems you already have

Also I now ask for blood results so that I can keep an eye on how things are progressing - my surgery tries to charge me £5 per sheet but I refuse to put more cash into Drs pockets and as I like to discuss these results I refuse to pay (it costs a few pence to print a sheet on the computer)

Diabetics have to look after themselves and you can't do that properly if you rely on Drs saying vaguely that the results are OK

Kate

I havent heard
about this one before?
My Dr's are great they discuss all my results with me thoughly as does my diabetic nurse.
No charge made for any printouts.
Any concerns I have they are there listening.
I have a 6 month and 12 month checkups and they always write to me when the appointments are due.
I cant fault them. They are brilliant.[/i]

Cowboyjim

Statins

The quacks have me on statins as well as BP meds on top of the old metformin... 8)

The debate as to the sense of taking statins regularly will likely endure for some while. Maybe there is a conspiracy afoot whereby they encourage publication of good news about them or maybe there is something extra beneficial about them. Guess we all have to make our mind up.

The good news...."Statins Associated With Lower Colon Cancer Risk"
"Researchers now say a systematic review of the medical literature suggests statins, cholesterol-lowering drugs used to prevent cardiac problems, may be helpful in reducing the risk of colon and rectal cancers".
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/10/statins-associated-with-lower-colon-cancer-risk.html

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
Simvastatin

I have been prescriobed simvastatin by my practice nurse because my cholesterol reading was moderately high. I am also hypothyroid and diabetes T1 (although she is querying this and thinks I may be T2 as my BS is constantly low with insulin and having frequent hypo's at night) I have been hearing horror stories about statins and the possible side effects. I really don't want anymore problems, can anyone give me some advice here. Is it advisable to take statins as a preventativemeasure, as the nurse suggests, or not - as my head tells me???

:?

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Simvastatin

I take Simvastatin no problem at all. I read about all the side effects but haven't had any. If you do have the side effects there are other ones that you can take.

tighthead3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Having diabetes.
statins

Can anybody tell me why, if a person has low cholesterol (4.5) no heart disease, they are prescribed statins, I heard a report that if you dont have heart disease or high cholesterol this can be bad for you, as I am taking pravastatin at the moment along with metformin, I became a little concerned at this news, I intend asking my DN at my next check up, but would welcome any comments in the meantime.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

I have been taking Statins for years with no problem at all. They also can have a preventative effect.

As a Diabetic you are in a high risk category for CV events therefore it makes sense to take them.
You don't have too.....it is your choice once you have evaluated ALL the evidence, not just the scare stories, of which there are many........

anniep

My doctor told me that there is evidence that for diabetics, statins have a protective effect against CV events even if your cholesterol is not high.

Being diabetic is a risk factor in itself it seems.