STATIN USERS - QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

Ceedy

Dislikes
On TV .soaps, most manufactored poip groups, all reality shows, most usa RUBBISH.

Drivers on mobiles, most politicians
Re: STATIN QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

Been a type 2 since 2009 and seems to be under control at the moment ..

I went on simvastation 1 per day for about a year,along with 2 metaformin ,
but did get the tingling in the hands.

Gp moved me onto Pravastatin. and although the tingling has reduced , I have now been suffering with weakness in the arms and hands, can't even open a jar nowadays.
Also the tendency for my fingers to lock up when gripping increased a lot too.
A few weeks back on GP's advice I stopped the prava, and within a week all the problems had dissappeared

My Vice like grip :D returned and the fingers rarely lock up . all the aches and pains in the arms and other odds places have disappeared or reduced greatly .. :)

Dunno about the Cholesterol though ?? ..

Back on them now , tinglings has returned ,and i expect the finger problems withh return soon , off to see the GP next Week ..

C.

PickledPepper

Simvastatin making me forgetful?

I swear simvastatin is making me forgetful and absent minded?

What alternatives do I have?

Anyone?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

I believe in USA statins also have COQ10 with them. It is recommended that statin users do supplent with COQ10 which they say will help the brain.
Statin companys were forced to list the extra sideeffects of confusion and depression on their leaflets as of last year in the UK.
I had to stop taking statins, and as my levels were only between 3 and 4.5 my last consultant said I didn't ned to take them. I eat nuts and take COQ10 200mg and benecols etc and will not go back to statins. I don't know whether this will keep me living till I am 90, I think it will be decades before the true effects of all these medicines will be truly realised whether they are good or bad for health. Personally I will not go back to statins, but it is every individuals choice to way up any benefits with any side effects.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

I believe Co-enzyme Q10 is made in the liver, and statins interfere with the production of this. One of its functions is to do with muscle action, including the heart muscle.

I stopped taking statins because they affected my muscles and made me very weak. I'm improving, but still not back to normal, as far as walking is concerned. This is a not-unusual side effect which is hardly publicised! On the other hand, some people get no side effects at all.

My blood lipids were the best ever, without statins, when I was on a very low carb diet and eating plenty of natural fats. Back on that diet, they are already better than they were when I was taking statins. The Metformin could be helping with that?

There's plenty of info out there if you Google. One anti-site can be found by googling 'Duane Graveline'. Another interesting read is Susan Stenneff (or is it Suzanne? Anyway, her surname should find her). The main thing is, read around and make up your own mind.

Viv :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Simvastatin making me forgetful?

PickledPepper said:
I swear simvastatin is making me forgetful and absent minded?

What alternatives do I have?

Anyone?

Plenty actually........ :)

Alternatives........
Statin's

Atorvastatin
Fluvastatin
Pravastatin,
Rosuvastatin

Fibrates
Bezafibrate
Ciprofibrate
Fenofibrate
Gemfibrozil

Nicotinic Acid Goup
Acipimox
Nicotinic Acid

Those are the prescribable alternatives to the 'dreaded' simvastatin....the cheapest and most maligned, although many have no problem with it. Might be an idea to discuss the options with your GP. Some are for use on their own or in combination therapy. Whilst you may have a problem with what you have now the others are all proven to have better efficacy.......

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
Statins

I am on simivastatin (Sp?) and have been for about 3 weeks. I have got the most awful muscle pains today in my shoulders and back (am prone to muscle pains) and have not done anything untoward that could have caused this.

My question - I am aware of the side effects of this statin, but does anyone know how quickly these occur - I cannot find the answer anywhere on the web so far - but wondered if I should have had muscle ache before now, or is this about the right time for a build up?

Docs is shut so can't ask them!

Would NHSDirect know or a pharmacist?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

My answer would be to stop them for a couple of days and see if the pain subsides....but I am nbot a health care professional and I know nothing except being a previous statin user...but no longer....and still have good levels...of cholesterol and hba1c.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

My probs with Simvastatin started within about a week.......I soon played my face at the Doc's and got them changed to a much better, no side effects for me one........ :D

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Is it OK to just stop them and see and how long before the pain subsides?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

From my esperience ..yes...but I'm not a medic!!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Fi.
I can't, and won't tell you what to do. That is something you will have to decide. If you are concerned then discuss it with your GP or Nurse first.

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

thanks - rang a pharmacist who said - read the instructions - told him they didn't say when you might get the side effects so he said don't take them tonight and ring GP tomorrow!

thank you for your help

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Squishy=love your photo!!!

PickledPepper

My cunning plan was to reduce my levels with the statins then continue without them, keeping my levels low.

But alas! The levels seem to back up soon after ceasing taking the tablet! Despite being generally careful of what I eat (although I could do better in this department).

Has anyone managed to reduce a high level (late 6, early 7s) and keep it down without medication?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I reduced my levels from 7 to 4ish by taking a plant sterol called Lesterin it can be bought at boots on the buy 2 get 1 free offer at the moment .It is not cheap but it works for me and has no side effects I eat lots of cream and cheese and butter to try to gain weight but my cholesterol stays under 5 so far .
CAROL

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Hi Carol

I've just googled 'lesterin', also searched Boots' website, got nothing! Can you help?

Viv 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Thanks, Ken.

Viv 8)

sarnie100

Dislikes
Self centred people, bullies, two-faced people, spiders, mountain roads, flying, bad-mannered drivers.
Statins - hair falling out?

Hi, I have been on statins 40g only since mid December last year 2010.... about a month after starting the tablets I noticed my hair seemed to be coming out in handfulls.... it has continued and I have found my hair exceptionally thin now.... I would find hair just about everywhere; in the sink, the bath, on the floor, on the worktop, in a sandwich..... not just when brushing it. I have since stopped taking the statins 2 weeks ago and the last couple of days have noticed a small improvement. On seeing my GP today he suggested I stop taking them for a month or so to see how things go, but confirmed it can be a possible not so common side effect. Has anyone else experienced this? I have fine hair anyway, so do not want to lose what I have left. I do not have bald patches, it has generally come out all over making it terribly thin. :(

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Re: Statins - hair falling out?

If you Google a site called spacedoc, he has a list of all statins and all possible side effects. I should warn you that it's a very anti-statin site, so do bear that in mind as you read. He's called Duane Graveline, and he used to be a doctor on the NASA space programme, so he's not a complete idiot! Be guided by your GP.

Another thing that can cause hair loss is under-active thyroid, though I've never heard of it causing such rapid loss. Mine just thinned gradually. :cry: Ask you doctor about that one.

I hope you get it sorted soon.

Viv 8)