1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Statins

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Grateful, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Thomas the Tank

Thomas the Tank Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In my opinion the best way to get the number down is to rub out the old result and write a lower figure in. That's how much the results are worth. I can 'play' my cholesterol levels like a bagpipe- if I want them higher I stress myself, get angry or rant on about
    Big Pharma. If I want them lower I relax and meditate but unlike Bg levels it really doesn't matter what the numbers are.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. KennyA

KennyA Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I mean LDL. It's above the 'recommended' level (I don't know what converter you're using) but then the recommended level has very little science behind it. Yes, the advice I've had from the medics is that I have genetically high cholesterol. As three of four of my grandparents lived well into their 90s I'm not too worried. If I had what the fourth had I'd be dead already. And I am being urged to take statins, which I will not do. I see no demonstrable benefit.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #62 KennyA, Jan 30, 2020 at 10:35 PM
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  3. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Bravo. Cholesterol schmesterol. I understand why others are concerned, but personally I couldn't give a hoot. I'm more concerned with preventing actual heart disease than treating virtually meaningless numbers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Whilst taking Atorvastatin for only a few weeks I lost all my songs, and have had to relearn them, I was wandering around in a daze.
    I did all the Christmas shopping twice - left the first lot in the car and found it again a couple of das later.
    I do wonder how many people are in care homes being carefully medicated to keep them senile.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MollieB

MollieB · Active Member

That is extremely interesting...There is very little attention paid to it. In fact, our lab doesn't even report it. I always thought US and UK to be on about the same wave length with their medical "opinions" {doesn't matter where the studies are done, we are the same species :) } but this is very different. Depending on how they do you LDL cholesterol measurement, fasting is key. (Fasting is also key to getting a true triglyceride reading). In the US, the standard LDL lab test is derived from calculating it by subtracting HDL and triglycerides from Total cholesterol. Since triglycerides are sensitive to fasting, if you are not fasting, the LDL levels are not going to be accurate. LDL also can now be measured "Directly" (not calculating it). Since it doesn't rely on the other numbers to calculate the reading, a direct LDL doesn't have to be fasting. We also have another test called an NMR, which measures LDL particle number. This is important because huge studies have shown the LDL particle number to be the best indicator for cardiovascular events. Diabetics, in particular, can have normal LDL levels and still have elevated Particle Numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Yes, the test for LDL particles is available, but the NHS doesn't routinely do these. In fact, I doubt they do it at all. They are available privately. Apparently, the particles will be mainly the good small fluffy ones if the triglycerides are low and HDL high. This is why some experts say it is the ratio between HDL and Trigs (HDL/Trigs) that is the important ratio for CVD risk - which should be as low as possible. I learnt this on the forum, and when I began to explain to my nurse it turned out she already knew! She had been on a course.

In England the LDL is also calculated, not measured.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Other way round
    Trigs/HDL Daf..

8. Thomas the Tank

Thomas the Tank Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This would be important as 'in my opinion' almost all of the studies have reported false, inaccurate or biased results. the other studies not giving any of the required results are hidden. Of course there is also the slight problem that even if LDL particle numbers are best indicators for cardiovascular events it does not mean it has anything what so ever to do with the cause.

9. Walking Girl

Walking Girl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Your doctors office uses a different lab than mine does then. I’m in the U.S., very good company paid insurance. Ratio of Total/HDL is the first line on my lab report (Lab Corp). For the record, my last test was 2.2.

My doc has never agreed to run a particle number. I would have to pay directly with Walk In Labs or such.

#69 Walking Girl, Feb 1, 2020 at 2:02 AM
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  10. Walking Girl

Walking Girl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well, the majority of what I have read says a high soluble fiber, low saturated and trans fat diet, with exercise.

all I know is that with my plant based whole foods diet my lipid profile stays right around 3.4 total, 1.5 HDL, 1.36 cLDL and .82 triglycerides.

I’ll leave the arguments about whether that matters to others. I’m happy where I am.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bluetit1802

You are quite right, Des. I apologise and blame my age. Thanks for correcting me. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I did do an experiment and ate 150g of peanut butter per day for about a year, lowered the total from 5.2 to 3.9 over a year, all ratios remained from memory good and trigs below 1.0

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the info everyone. I am persisting with my diet/lifestyle changes, but am dubious as to whether they will budge the cholesterol needle (and I don't think I care if they don't; my cholesterol ratio has been good or excellent for the past 13 years, it's only the total that has been exceeding the supposed norm).

--Muesli for breakfast (to increase the fibre), despite the extra carb load. No more bacon and eggs, which was my standard low-carb breakfast.
    --Tuna instead of chicken with my lunchtime salad. Plus an avocado every lunchtime (fibre, again).
    --Reduction in meat suppers. I do the cooking 50 percent of evenings and am trying to do some tasty vegetarian meals. We already eat quite a lot of fish, so no scope to increase fish.
    --The biggest lifestyle change is I stopped drinking beer 10 days ago and will continue that (boring) regime until the next blood test at the end of April (admittedly this has no connection with lowering cholesterol). Am drinking moderate amounts of red wine (two glasses) with supper, instead.
    --Am trying to make sure that I get out for a one-hour walk every day. The weather, and work pressures, sometimes interfere.

As to whether I will stick with the above regime after the forthcoming end-April blood test, I honestly don't know, at this point. Obviously it will depend in part on what the numbers show (and whether I care), but it will also depend on whether I have found the diet/lifestyle changes to be beneficial in any other way.

14. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I received a letter yesterday from my GP, saying that she has just noticed that my QRISK score is above 10 and therefore I should start on a Statin.

She has received my response.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

So why make all the changes to what you eat if you really don't care.. ?
    Especially adding carbs in for breakfast (probably the worst time of the day to have them).

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly you are not an advocate for using a BG meter.
    I would highly recommend that you start testing before and after you meals.
    With all those extra carbs I wouldn’t be surprised if your A1C increases.
    This would worry me more the the cholesterol numbers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If I were switching to Muesli for breakfast I would keep a glucometer in a hip holster and wear a grenade belt full of test-strip pots.

Proceed with extreme caution :shifty:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Bluetit1802

If you are trying to lower your total cholesterol by changing your diet, in my opinion you are changing too much all at once. A structured elimination change would give better results. By April when your next test is due, should your cholesterol be improved, how the dickens will you know what caused it? One thing for sure that will not help is the muesli. Carbs are known scientifically to lower the HDL, which is bad news. Your total may drop but your good stuff may decrease. Be careful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MollieB

MollieB · Active Member

We use LabCorp too. Diabetics have a greater chance of having a discordant LDL level and LDL particle number and the studies have shown that the LDL particle number is a better indicator for cardiovascular disease. Labcorp runs the NMR.

20. FSnow

FSnow · Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook