Steamed buns - yeast question

Sanguini

Hello

I don't know if i'm posting this in the right category but here goes:

For the past two weeks or so I've been trying to come up with type 2 diabetes friendly steamed buns, but the thing is, I can't find any info if T2D can eat yeast (or I just fail at Google)! Basically my idea goes like this:

• whole wheat flour (or any allowed for that matter)
  • yeast
  • xylitol (instead of sugar)
  • water
  • pinch of salt
  • bit of olive oil

Mix, knead so it isn't sticky, roll into buns, let it rise, steam, voila.

Not entirely sure on that xylitol thing, can substitute it and water with low fat milk. Also can be filled with veggies or lean meat (chicken, game or beef).

But the entire point is wether or not yeast is on allowed or not allowed list.

Please help, this thing has been driving me nuts >.<

Reactions: Serena51

Hotpepper20000

Yeast shouldn’t be a problem.
However, most wheat or any grains even if they are whole grains are best avoided.
Fatty meats and cream are ok for us.
Do you have diabetes? Or are you creating a cookbook?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeast is fine - but the flour - it is going to be about 2/3rds carbs.
I make bread for myself now, being two years from diagnosis, but I add in milled seeds and psyllium husk flour, and almond flour to try to reduce the impact of the wheat flour..
I can cope with a small loaf eaten over the course of a week, I make three each month so I will go a week to 10 days without any bread at all - it doesn't impact my diabetes but it does affect my weight.

Sanguini

Do you have diabetes? Or are you creating a cookbook?
My dad does, and I'm just trying to make it easier on him XD Steamed buns in mushroom sauce is one of our favorites, so I was trying to alter the recipe.

However, most wheat or any grains even if they are whole grains are best avoided.
Yeast is fine - but the flour - it is going to be about 2/3rds carbs.

Hmmm... When I did research it said that the whole wheat, buckwheat and rye breads are fine, as well as these flours...

Hotpepper20000

My dad does, and I'm just trying to make it easier on him XD Steamed buns in mushroom sauce is one of our favorites, so I was trying to alter the recipe.

Hmmm... When I did research it said that the whole wheat, buckwheat and rye breads are fine, as well as these flours...
Does your dad have a glucose meter? If so he could test after eating these flours to see if they spike his blood sugars.

Look around on this site. Many people have had success controlling their blood sugar eating low carb.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - I have read an awful amount of dangerous nonsense about wholegrains being not just fine but beneficial and aid in glucose control. I certainly never saw any such thing, and there is also all the 'information' about low GI and GL - which my meter tells me is wishful thinking too.
Low fat milk is not a good alternative to artificial sweetener, as it contains a sugar, lactose, though it would be insignificant when mixed with wheat flour and lean cuts of meat are an off balance food - the fattier cuts are a better option for a type two diabetic.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I don't know if i'm posting this in the right category but here goes:

For the past two weeks or so I've been trying to come up with type 2 diabetes friendly steamed buns, but the thing is, I can't find any info if T2D can eat yeast (or I just fail at Google)! Basically my idea goes like this:

• whole wheat flour (or any allowed for that matter)
  • yeast
  • xylitol (instead of sugar)
  • water
  • pinch of salt
  • bit of olive oil

Mix, knead so it isn't sticky, roll into buns, let it rise, steam, voila.

Not entirely sure on that xylitol thing, can substitute it and water with low fat milk. Also can be filled with veggies or lean meat (chicken, game or beef).

But the entire point is wether or not yeast is on allowed or not allowed list.

Please help, this thing has been driving me nuts >.<
As others said, the yeast isn't the problem; the flour is. If you want to make something for your dad that won't spike him, search www.dietdoctor.com . I didn't find any steamed buns there, but I hope something on it 'll float his boat. Good luck!

Sanguini

Thanks for the link, but aren't there any, um, cheapers alternatives? Every "bread" on that site uses almond flour, and I don't know how it is in Britain, but here one kg of it is freaking expensive. Aren't there any more affordable flours that I can use?