Still learning BG testing

rebowe1308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning
So I am testing my Levels with certain foods. I have tested mini apples and satsumas which have over a 2 mmol raise
This morning I have tested sachet of porridge with 5 almonds and 1 Brazil but chopped
Before food 7.9 (still high but recently diagnosed and has gone down from 13 !)
2 hours later 9.6

Should I stay away from porridge ? I know under 2 but still a spike
Any advice and knowledge would be greatly received
Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t eat porridge like many other type 2s here. You’ve had less than a 2mmol/L rise, however you’ve exceeded the maximum number you want to see at the two hours mark which is 8.5 (or some say 7.8mmol/L). Also as porridge tends to be slow release sugars you may find your reading even higher at the three hour mark.
I have this keto coconut porridge for breakfast, it’s a good alternative to traditional porridge:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

Reactions: rebowe1308

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
We can't say what you should eat and what levels you should be happy with, that's your decision.
But I can tell you that if my pre meal level was 7.9 I would avoid porridge like the plague and any other high carb foods. Some bacon and eggs would have been a better choice

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I agree with catinahat. I know that Dawn Phenomenon is a factor I a BG test before breakfast, but even so, with a reading of 7.9 I would either have a zero carb breakfast, or skip breakfast altogether (if not particularly hungry).

Reactions: rebowe1308

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most people (myself included) would recommend eating low carb for T2 diabetes. If you buy that, then porridge as not a good choice, and you'd be better off eating bacon and eggs. But we all need to choose our own path.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some things which few type twos seem able to eat - you might be better off starting out with things under 11 percent carbs and working up rather than checking the high scorers.
I spike with all the usual suspects - I do eat a high cocoa chocolate but only one square at a time, but meat, fish eggs and cheese, cream, full fat Greek yoghurt, creme fraiche, are all on my shopping list. I order low carb baking ingredients from Amazon sources and bulk buy nuts from Grape tree dot com, and then go out regularly to buy salad and veges. I get frozen foods, mixed berries and veges, and really do not feel at all deprived.