Stress - Constant high blood sugars

Emj185

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

Looking for some advice on managing stress and the effect in bloody sugar levels...

As you may know from previous posts I have suffered from burnout, depression and anxiety in the past. I’m keeping on top of things as best I can but in the midst of planning my wedding. Stressful at anytime but added family politics (inc. MoG, aunts and uncles contemplating not attending due to religion) and I feel like I’ve completely lost control!

Ranging between 12 - HI (over 27 mmol) throughout the day and still have just shy of a month until the day.

I’m eating low carb, walking my dogs daily and doing all injections plus corrections. Just can’t seem to rein it in.

Has anyone got any suggestions?
TIA
Emma

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Emj185

Unfortunately apart from taking all the stress away from you there is nothing that can be done to change it, however how you respond to it can ultimately help you in managing better. As you know stress causes hormones to be released such as adrenaline and cortisol which has an adverse effect on your insulin requirements, taking more insulin of course will bring your glucose levels down but it doesn't help relieve anxiety, however keeping good control is essential when feeling frazzled as high glucose levels slows down thinking, decision making and increases low mood.

You are already doing an excellent job getting exercise, eating a good diet and managing your control so the best advice I can offer is to also try some meditation, so get CALM on your phone if you have a smart phone, it's free to a point and has some good short meditations which can help get you zoned out and in a better place for managing stress levels. When you go for a walk stop a while and take some good deep breaths, deep breathing is a simple easy way to calm down anxious thoughts.

Try to ignore those who cannot be pleased, it's your wedding not theirs so try to ensure the plans make you happy and not others, your health and happiness in making this a wonderful event for you to remember is the most important thing so please put yourself first. Also remember that what is stressing you today won't be stressing you in a year's time, so in some respects try to put the amount of stress you feel into context and as I said before put your happiness first :)

Reactions: Emj185

grabarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After I had a heart attack some years ago the after care involved meditation amongst things but the advice I will always remember is avoid “toxic people” . If it’s people stressing you out this will do nothing good for your health so you need to manage them rather than letting them manage you and if you can’t do that stick with like minded people and avoid the rest.

TDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

Looking for some advice on managing stress and the effect in bloody sugar levels...

As you may know from previous posts I have suffered from burnout, depression and anxiety in the past. I’m keeping on top of things as best I can but in the midst of planning my wedding. Stressful at anytime but added family politics (inc. MoG, aunts and uncles contemplating not attending due to religion) and I feel like I’ve completely lost control!

Ranging between 12 - HI (over 27 mmol) throughout the day and still have just shy of a month until the day.

I’m eating low carb, walking my dogs daily and doing all injections plus corrections. Just can’t seem to rein it in.

TIA
Emma
Increase basal? Diabetic Nurse Team might help? Sorry if you have thought of this already. Do you have a FreeStyle Libre? I would really recommend that because then you will actually see what's going on with your sugar levels xxx good luck with the wedding! X

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was told to walk away from the situation for at least 20 minutes it has worked for me and also breathing exercises are a very good and calming. There are various ones you c an do but I like the simple one of just breathing in for the count of 4 hold for the count of 5 and breath out for the count of 6. I have found if I do this a few times I begin to feel calm. I also agree that the CALM app for your phone is a good one or even for sleeping.
All the best for your wedding. Remember IT IS YOUR DAY!

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Hi EMJ

Meditation really is the key without a doubt.I posted a couple of links this morning that will help
you

Here are the links to the videos:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/helpful-video-links.163359/#post-2029654

Always remember you are more than number on the screen, you are more than that body you look at in the mirror. The most important you cannot be seen (by most people) The ‘real you’ is amazing

Is so powerful once you understand who and what you are. “An incredible Spirt with a body, not a body with spirt” There is a world difference.

Be the you the want to be!

Begin a few minutes a day sitting in silence. Switch off the phone, unplug

Learn how to relax just your body (which needs to comfortable) no need to sit in full Lotus position,

Just remember to keep you back straight and head upright. You can sit on chair, on a cushion, on your bed. Just sit and enjoy being! I find it most helpful to spent time just before going to sleep.

If you are tired you will go to sleep no problem. However you will find that over the days/weeks you will have a much deeper sleep.

Turn the TV, computer, mobile phone off at least half an hour before going to bed. This is very important! Your brain needs to slow down and trust me all of the above will not let that happen.

Be nice to yourself, be kind to yourself and remember you will always get more of what you focus on. Listen to calming music, avoid things and people that unsettle the balance the begin to achieve.

Take it one day at a time! Walk somewhere close to nature, the beach, a park, the country, notice what is going on around, the smells, the sounds, the birds, the feel of the warm sun on your face.

I am NOT a tree hugger however I do love to sit with my back against a nice big tree and just ask it (I know this sounds like I am some sort of nutter or new age freak just trust me) Please may I enjoy your strength?

Feel the energy begin to flow from the tree and the earth into you being.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi All

TIA
Emma

Yes - its your wedding. Don't let anyone ruin it for you by making yourself stressed over it.

I had similar issues when I was planning to marry my current husband and I felt like I was losing control of what should have been the happiest day of my life. I didn't have diabetes then but can very easily see how it would affect your BG because I had days when i thought my head would explode with the strain of trying to keep everyone happy, so you have my sympathies. It got to the point where it was putting a huge strain on my health and our relationship and we decided to put the wedding plans on hold.

Obviously me and him had a discussion about the problems and realised that we really couldn't please everybody - but that it was BEING married and not GETTING married that was important to us - so we decided to quietly get married with just a couple of witness. We've been happily married now for 23 years and we've never regretted the decision to get married quietly. On our first wedding anniversary we had a big party and told everyone.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Demand that your other half do more to push back against the stress! Up your basal intake by 25-50%. Forget your aunt and uncle as everyone is due your opinion and that is nothing on you. Cuddle your dog more. See how that goes.