Strong question- what do you think caused your diabetes (type 1)

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed 24 years ago with no family history of diabetes, since then my uncle was also diagnosed type 1, I have developed 3+ other autoimmune conditions, my mum has been diagnosed with 3, my uncle has been diagnosed with 3 more, and my grandmother (who always insisted my diabetes was the fault of my dad's genes) has been diagnosed with 1.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not type 1 so forgive the transgression of sticking my nose in, but this reminds me of something I was pondering a while ago. My personal belief is that there are almost certainly unidentified dietary and/or environmental factors that aggravate a genetic predisposition. If it's true that incidences of T1 are on the rise, then it doesn't make sense that it could be only genetic. Since T1 can kill at any age, evolutionary pressure, if anything, should gradually breed it out, but it seems this is not happening.
However, we're also getting better at diagnosing the condition. So there are very possibly deaths caused historically by Diabetes that were never identified as Diabetes and misidentified as something else.

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
That's an excellent question.
IMO it's an epigenetic desease and there is a very long list of possible causes.
T1D's have a less varied microbiome, which I am convinced must be one of the main ones.

Reactions: StewM
M

Member496333

T1D's have a less varied microbiome, which I am convinced must be one of the main ones.

Interestingly I have read some opinion that babies born by c-section may be more prone to some autoimmune reactions due to not being exposed to the normal bacteria inside the birth canal. Obviously I can’t speak to that but it seems plausible on first thought.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The short answer is I don't know for sure, but in most to least likely I'd say in my case:-
1. leaky gut (probably caused by a combination of gluten and emulsifiers in processed foods) and immune response to part digested foods that got into the bloodstream as a result leading to food associated autoimmunity.
2. high stress/shock event (being knocked off my bicycle with an associated ambulance trip to hospital) and it was my own fault :banghead:
3. infection either viral or dental infections.

Of the three the leaky gut is one I can do something about in terms of trying to at least slow progression - the others I can't even hope to fix without a time machine :wacky:

For me the huge increase in type 1 has to be related to food/environment factors ... genetics might make people more susceptible but does not explain the recent increase.
This is an interesting point. On my wifes side of the family there has and are gut related issues along with Type 1. Diverticulitis and Coeliac disease are conditions my Mother-in-law and her brother has . So maybe one pathway is wheat / gluten.

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So maybe one pathway is wheat / gluten.
Gluten increases gut permeability in everyone. Having developed one autoimmune condition the chance of developing others are increased :( quite a few seem to link back to leaky gut which is why I've tried tackling that and potential problem foods. It feels like the only potential cause I really have much influence over ...

M

Member496333

The book Wheat Belly by William Davies may be of interest to some. Not sure if it specifically talks about T1, but if even half of the book's contents are based in fact, then it's sure to raise an eyebrow in most people. In my opinion wheat is at least partially responsible for a lot disease. The problem being, it's hiding in plain sight in processed food on almost every supermarket shelf you might find.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is an interesting point. On my wifes side of the family there has and are gut related issues along with Type 1. Diverticulitis and Coeliac disease are conditions my Mother-in-law and her brother has . So maybe one pathway is wheat / gluten.
As mentioned in another thread, there is a potential comorbidity of gut conditions and type 1, but no one's really figured out the hows and whys of it, if it is a thing.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
No one else in my family has ever had this so wasn't a genetic situation for me.

I had loads of wacky theories though - best said outside of this forum !!!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been trying to chat to doctors to investigate or make sense of any thoughts I have about it, but not had much luck so far!
If you ever meet one who says they know the answer - run away!
While there's all kinds of research on the question, the answer simply isn't clear yet, so if anyone claims they know, they are lying and likely trying to con you into something.

Reactions: Yaya10_10

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you ever meet one who says they know the answer - run away!
While there's all kinds of research on the question, the answer simply isn't clear yet, so if anyone claims they know, they are lying and likely trying to con you into something.

I know what caused my T1, its cos my immune system is a complete stinking moron and keeps attacking the wrong things :) (3 immune system problems so far)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know what caused my T1, its cos my immune system is a complete stinking moron and keeps attacking the wrong things :) (3 immune system problems so far)
How did that word pass the filter???
I mean, it's rather appropriate in this context but I'd have expected it to turn to asterisks anyway.
I guess the real question is WHY is your immune system being such an idiot?

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me - no family history of T1 or T2- i feel it was triggered by a psychological trauma plus lack of vitamin D, moving from Hawaii to London and told vitamin D deficiency at diagnosis ..

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No one else in my family has ever had this so wasn't a genetic situation for me.
I don't think you can really rule that out. Some genes, like the one for red hair, can skip several generations. Also if Type 1 is a genetic tendency which is activated somehow, maybe is was just dormant in the previous generations you know about.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
How did that word pass the filter???
I mean, it's rather appropriate in this context but I'd have expected it to turn to asterisks anyway.
I guess the real question is WHY is your immune system being such an idiot?
It comes from the ancient Greek Moros and literally means foolish. Quite appropriate in this context!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed aged 2. Had an aunt who had died from "wasting away" so possibly diabetes. At the time nobody else in my family had diabetes, but my grandma had pernicious anaemia. Years later my mum developed type 2 diabetes.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm not type 1 so forgive the transgression of sticking my nose in, but this reminds me of something I was pondering a while ago. My personal belief is that there are almost certainly unidentified dietary and/or environmental factors that aggravate a genetic predisposition. If it's true that incidences of T1 are on the rise, then it doesn't make sense that it could be only genetic. Since T1 can kill at any age, evolutionary pressure, if anything, should gradually breed it out, but it seems this is not happening.
I blame moving to the UK from Australia and continued to plaster myself with 50 + factor sunscreen, being well practised in avoiding the sun and skin cancer. I ended up with a vitamin D deficiency the summer before my diagnosis. That's what I blame.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I had loads of wacky theories though - best said outside of this forum !!!
Hi,
Same here, as far as I know. Apart from my dad & his T2.
My mum's convinced it's because a took a major fall down a flight of stares as a kid? (Only cause a nurse mentioned a "trauma" when questioned on why.)

Mine range from a sinister mix of diet & bathing products a little like the dastardly plot of Jack Nicholson's Joker in the1989 Batman movie? (Possibly "free school milk," In the 1970s?)
To an idea that all "this" is a self created "reality" & the rules in place give certain challenges to my perceived existence...
Including other diabetics for that matter. (& these sort of topics could also be part of that "god" like creation.) I wouldn't want to be alone on this "plane."

However, these therories do tend to only happen when I'm low... ;)