1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Struggling, why am I doing this?

Discussion in 'Emotional and Mental Health' started by MrsA2, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Hi @MrsA2 I remember reading recently a report that said if you are on a low carb diet, your kidneys can deal with excess salt, provided that they are not already damaged. With a 'perfect' reading it doesn't sound like you have a problem. The reason doctors are so concerned with blood pressure in a diabetic is that if it is raised, that usually is a sign of kidneys struggling to regulate levels of glucose, calcium, potassium, phosphates and salt. If you are not eating much carbohydrate, upping the salt, if that is what is required, shouldn't be a problem. A blood pressure test will let you know!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They are supportive and do much. I think I'm just down and missing my independence somewhat.

• Hug Hug x 1
  3. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

Yep. I miss having the house to myself sometimes and feel that so many extra meals were a major pain. However I now have them all doing their own breakfast and lunch and helping with dinner sometimes. And even better no packed lunches need to be made

4. MrsA2

Yes it's ironic that just when I need to reduce food that there are extra mouths and meals. Food has been so central and we have far too much in the fridges. Hubby insists on coming shopping and buys everything everytime. I keep telling him we dont need so much but he feels he is contributing and helping. It's hard to disillusion him... like kicking puppy (blush)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. Bex72

Bex72 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. Little in life is fair really. You aren't alone. I've been having similar thoughts. I have really blurry vision still and am fed up. I am controlling with diet and have been lucky that my BG came down to a good level quickly. However, if I eat or drink the wrong thing it will shoot back up. I'm only two weeks into this journey and still have a lot to learn. Thank goodness for this forum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Wow, this speaks to me! Glucose intolerance forced me to give up my preferred Mediterranean / semi-vegetarian diet. Part of me still strongly dislikes the idea of eating cows and pigs, but another part of me longs to eat a huge steak, perhaps with bacon on the side. Every time I pass a steak house I dream about it. Maybe post Covid I'll actually do it once a year. I bet the reality will be disappointing and set me up for another year eating wild caught fish, free range chicken and eggs.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Alexandra100

Believe me, I do share your outrage! I eat VLC and am under rather than over-weight, but my bg doesn't seem to care. I see that others began with far higher A1cs than me and with weight to lose, and yet now are rightly proud of their far lower numbers. I don't follow the forums where people share what they have eaten, because I know many will have enjoyed far more carbs than I could allow myself and yet are doing far better than me.

But then, a non-diabetic friend has just developed cancer. She has had her bladder taken out and an external bag fitted. Would I swap with her? No!!!

Grapes are some of the most high carb fruits. Do you like raspberries, strawberries, blackberries? Any of those could be a fruity treat (especially with double cream) but would almost certainly not raise your bg so much. You can buy frozen packs of mixed berries and just take out a few when temptation hits. Mixed with cream and/or low carb Greek yoghurt berries ooze a delicious syrup. Eaten slowly and mindfully with a teaspoon this can be much more satisfying than casually eating stuff while standing and cooking.

Forgive me if you already know all this, but if not you might find Diet Doctor helpful:
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Alexandra100

What a long way you have come!!!

9. Alexandra100

@MrsA2, since your hubby / puppy is so nice and really wants to help, could you sit him down at a tactfully chosen time and say you really need his help and what that help would be? Spell it out and show how you trust his good will and intelligence? Going along with a pretence that he is helping when really he is harming is a highway to nowhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MrsA2

My original post was over six weeks ago, and like everything else to do with diabetes, it has been an up and down roller coaster of good times and bad times since. Hubby is learning.....slowly, but it is progress.
    Any 'bad' fruit is now kept out of sight so I can't pick mindlessly. I had a chocolate craving today but resisited as none of the local shops had anything sufficiently dark and high % to interest me

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Highly unlikely..:D

12. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

My thought exactly. My celebratory dinner ended up being a big Denver Steak, and I had a hard time not weeping into my plate, it was THAT good. ;)

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

If you go for the Greek yoghurt, look for full fat, (will be about 9%) low fat will definitely have more carbs.

14. Buzzer81

Buzzer81 · Well-Known Member

What is Cheesy Mince?!?!

15. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

:) Mince cooked with any amount of onion, tomato, herbs and spices that you fancy.
    Then a good amount of cheese stirred in just before serving.

i first created it by accident, when I wanted cheese topped mince but didn’t have time to grill it.

• Like Like x 3
  16. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Unfortunately our bodies are all different, so some will be able to get their blood sugars under control by just cutting out a few things and others will struggle on a far stricter diet.

My example of how not to do it is my mother, who carried on eating junk full of sugar. In spite of her GP increasing her metformin to the point she had serious diarrhea every day. And in spite of her eyesight damage, so bad at the end she could barely read, and restless legs, and peripheral neuropathy.
    I plan in advance to keep a few low carb extras for the tough days, and plan in advance what I can eat when out. If everyone else will be eating cake I know I have low carb cake at home, so I can watch them and have mine later.

So one thing I knew I had to cater for was my sweet tooth - low carb did not get rid of it so rather then be endlessly tempted I allow for low carb sweet treats - greek yogurt with raspberries most days, or occasional no added sugar almond/coconut flour cake (stored in the freezer ready sliced), plus a little 85% dark chocolate. Some days I have a sugar free jelly with the yogurt. I also make 'crumble' with ground almonds lightly pressed over a bowl of rhubarb and baked on a medium heat - lovely with cream or a real egg custard.
    And if I have lunch (I often don't) I make 90sec almond bread which is great if split, then lightly toasted served with cheese or so homemade no added sugar marmalade.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Buzzer81

Buzzer81 · Well-Known Member

Wow, I feel like I’ve been living in the shadows my whole life!!!! This is such an epic idea, I cannot wait time try it!!!!! Thank you for that tip!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook