Stupid mistake high blood sugar

Sad21+

I did something really stupid. I buy low carb bread from a company. But they sent us low carb hot cross buns. And my dumbass gave it to mum. O tested prior it was 5.9 after a hour it shot up to 13.4. I will test after an hour but what advice would you give me. And yes I've binned the low carb hot cross buns. I'm so angry and disappointed in myself.

Should I give her apple cider vinegar ?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I did something really stupid. I buy low carb bread from a company. But they sent us low carb hot cross buns. And my dumbass gave it to mum. O tested prior it was 5.9 after a hour it shot up to 13.4. I will test after an hour but what advice would you give me. And yes I've binned the low carb hot cross buns. I'm so angry and disappointed in myself.

Should I give her apple cider vinegar ?
If she's fit to walk, then some walking usually helps bring the numbers down. You probably don't need to be too hard on yourself either: as a one-off, I think it should be ok. Do you usually test after the normal low-carb bread? I just wonder what those numbers would be by way of comparison. In any event, you sound like you're doing a caring and conscientious job, so just keep at it.

Reactions: EllieM and Sad21+

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do note that even for the most experienced off us, this can happen.

We all are human (ok, maybe I'm not first thing on a Monday morning ...), we all make mistakes, we all do stuff we should've thought more about first, DO NOT beat yourself up, it happens,

Just use this as a learning experience and just make sure no matter what you're giving to your Mum just check the actual carb values before assuming anything

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think there's not a diabetic in the world who doesn't occasionally make such mistakes.
Please don't beat yourself up about it, nothing bad will happen from an occasional high blood sugar.

Just water if she's thirsty, it'll come down again.

Reactions: Sad21+

Sad21+

If she's fit to walk, then some walking usually helps bring the numbers down. You probably don't need to be too hard on yourself either: as a one-off, I think it should be ok. Do you usually test after the normal low-carb bread? I just wonder what those numbers would be by way of comparison. In any event, you sound like you're doing a caring and conscientious job, so just keep at it.
Yes I've tried she doesn't want to walk. But I'm making her drink loads of water. Its my fault because it had sultanas. And I thought maybe it will be ok. It's 7.7g of carbs and 5g of sugar. I thought it wil be fine. I should of picked out the sultans. I know but I knew better and so angry. Thank you for you advice.

Sad21+

Do note that even for the most experienced off us, this can happen.

We all are human (ok, maybe I'm not first thing on a Monday morning ...), we all make mistakes, we all do stuff we should've thought more about first, DO NOT beat yourself up, it happens,

Just use this as a learning experience and just make sure no matter what you're giving to your Mum just check the actual carb values before assuming anything
Thank you for your advice. I really do appreciate your advice. I hear what you saying. It's that I knew better. I read carb values before giving but it had sultanas. Thank you for this . Take care.

Sad21+

I think there's not a diabetic in the world who doesn't occasionally make such mistakes.
Please don't beat yourself up about it, nothing bad will happen from an occasional high blood sugar.

Just water if she's thirsty, it'll come down again.
Ok thank you for this. Like I freaked out and could feel my blood pressure going up. Thank you I'm still learning when I see high readings I fear the worst.

Sad21+

Update mums blood sugar went from 5.9 before buns

13.4 hour after eating

And 6.1/5.3 after two hours (tested two fingers)

I'm confused but relieved. Thank you all for you care .

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

13.4 hour after eating

so you didnt make a mistake. The two hour reading is the important one. Even my non-diabetic adult son spikes one hour after carbs. The two hour reading was fine.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Well I had x2 slices of brown bread as I was feeling low and now feel a bit pants - not a mistake for me just greedy and wanted it :facepalm: with cheese cue banging headache for a few days :arghh:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Please god, let my daughters care 10% of this when I need it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
13.4 hour after eating
It was 8 gm of carbs and BG level is not elevated at 2 hours after eating? I don't understand why you think it is a problem.

Reactions: Sad21+ and KK123

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with everyone else- not one person here who hasn't stuffed up at least once in our lives. So don't beat yourself up- although the 2 hr reading sounds great so not even a 'stuff up'.

You are obviously doing a great job and checking everything. I have actually stuffed up and I am also great at beating myself up afterwards.

You did the right thing straight away which was to ask for help and some suggestions so you instinctively did the right thing so give yourself credit for facing the situation and reaching out for help. That is always the best thing to do and you did it.

Well done and I hope she enjoyed it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. We have Hot-X buns and I've never heard of low-carb ones as surely they are made from wheat. The ones we've eaten tend to be 35 to 40gm of Carb. I would be delighted to hear more about these low-carb ones; what is the make?

Reactions: EllieM and Sad21+

Sad21+

so you didnt make a mistake. The two hour reading is the important one. Even my non-diabetic adult son spikes one hour after carbs. The two hour reading was fine.
Thank you so much for replying I really appreciate your kindness and advice . Also sorry for replying late.

I hope you don't mind but i have two questions.

1)what's more important a hour after testing or two ?

2) if you don't have any spike or very little after a hour do you need to test after two hours ?

I apologize for asking and being annoying I'm still learning. Thank you

Sad21+

Well I had x2 slices of brown bread as I was feeling low and now feel a bit pants - not a mistake for me just greedy and wanted it :facepalm: with cheese cue banging headache for a few days :arghh:
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that. I really hope you are ok now ?

Sad21+

Please god, let my daughters care 10% of this when I need it.
I'm not the greatest carer. I've made terrible mistakes and choices. And I'm sure your daughter's would care for you. But until then stay safe and look after yourself.

Sad21+

It was 8 gm of carbs and BG level is not elevated at 2 hours after eating? I don't understand why you think it is a problem.
Sorry I panicked I saw the two hour spike at 13 and nearly had a breakdown. I'm still learning and overwhelmed with this. After two hours I calmed down. I was told to test three times. Once before eating, hour later and two hours after that.

Sad21+

I agree with everyone else- not one person here who hasn't stuffed up at least once in our lives. So don't beat yourself up- although the 2 hr reading sounds great so not even a 'stuff up'.

You are obviously doing a great job and checking everything. I have actually stuffed up and I am also great at beating myself up afterwards.

You did the right thing straight away which was to ask for help and some suggestions so you instinctively did the right thing so give yourself credit for facing the situation and reaching out for help. That is always the best thing to do and you did it.

Well done and I hope she enjoyed it.
Thank you so much. I really do appreciate this. I was so scared. And I hope you are ok. I needed to read this.