Sugarfree/No added sugar products

mtc2300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

What products do you treat yourself with either sugarfree or no added sugar?

I personally by products from:

https://www.easisfoods.com/

But what kind of British diabetic products are there out there?

MetabolicJim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I occasionally have sugar free jelly. I don’t get the premade stuff which has strange ingredients. I only get the powder where the top ingredient is pork gelatine. The main problem is it takes a long time to set so you pretty much have to decide the day before that you’re going to want jelly. I quite like topping up the jelly with fizzy water so it has slight fizz when you eat it.

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy sugar free jelly and have it with double cream and a few pieces of apple. I also have 90% dark chocolate. I don’t tend to buy “diabetic” foods, although a couple of things looked nice on the website you provided the link for! Lol.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The things sold on the website you recommend are for the most part, high in carbohydrate - be very careful not to confuse sugar free with low carb, they are not the same thing at all.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby bought me some sugar free chocolates for Easter. They are foul tasting, like cheap cake covering, and only 1 g carb each lower than the full sugar ones he brought for himself.
I'd prefer to eat half a proper one, same with most other foods, one bite of a hot cross bun rather than the whole thing or a fake one for example. I personally dont like the taste, effects or ethicalness of any artificial sweeteners

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Be very very careful with sugar free stuff. It often swaps out “sugar” for other equally damaging carbs in terms of diabetes. Also damaging oils and other chemical cocktails that I quite frankly have no idea what they are or the effect they have. I’d rather eat foods I can recognise as food.

Personally I don’t even look at the sugar line of nutrition, just the carbs line.

British food manufacturers are supposed to adhere to a code of conduct that prohibits food being labelled as diabetic so it is rarely seen. Even more rarely are they in fact diabetic friendly for the above reasons.

Reactions: Buzzer81

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the other posts. Avoid food specifically targeted at diabetics as it can be high carb, expensive and no better than low-carb food varieties. Just set yourself a target daily maximum carb level and look at food packaging. Ff in doubt start with 150gm/day and adjust as needed.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have rediscovered simple, quick baking - keto cakes, biscuits, scones.... I use a stevia/erythritol blend instead of sugar. This way, I know what is in them. Not low calorie, by any means, but they don’t upset my BG, and congenital laziness means that they remain occasional treats because I can’t be bothered to bake a constant supply!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The single useful piece of information my DN gave me on diagnosis was to avoid anything specifically labelled as "Diabetic".

There are plenty of normal foods that don't contain sugar or contain few enough carbs to be acceptable as part of a normal low carb diet - including treats. That is not necessarily the case with products labelled as sugar free.

One of the first things I did after diagnosis was to convert my baking to be low carb. Sweeteners such as erythritol and/or stevia are suitable for low carb and diabetic use, and nut flours, butter and eggs are all a normal part of low carb diets. High percentage cocoa chocolate is fine and actually good for us - in small portions.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

"Our candy is sugar free! Suitable for diabetics!"... Yeah, no processed sugar in there, but the Dutch candy in question is a hardened piece of honey. So sugar free and no added sugar say very, very little about the suitability of a product. ;) Just go for stuff that doesn't have a load of carbs in as-is, like extra dark chocolate, certain nuts, olives, good cheeses...

Goodhand

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Many of the products that claim not to contain sugar are a lie, right?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Many of the products that claim not to contain sugar are a lie, right?
Essentially, yes, but it's kind of a moot point for us anyway- it might not be an actual lie to say a bag of flour contains 'no sugar', but the starch in it is the problem. HSSS above has the best idea- look at the carbs

mtc2300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby bought me some sugar free chocolates for Easter. They are foul tasting, like cheap cake covering, and only 1 g carb each lower than the full sugar ones he brought for himself.
I'd prefer to eat half a proper one, same with most other foods, one bite of a hot cross bun rather than the whole thing or a fake one for example. I personally dont like the taste, effects or ethicalness of any artificial sweeteners

The sweetener used in many of the the "no sugar added" products also have an impac
"Our candy is sugar free! Suitable for diabetics!"... Yeah, no processed sugar in there, but the Dutch candy in question is a hardened piece of honey. So sugar free and no added sugar say very, very little about the suitability of a product. ;) Just go for stuff that doesn't have a load of carbs in as-is, like extra dark chocolate, certain nuts, olives, good cheeses...

The products are sweetened with erythritol. However I usually don't eat much of their products. Some of the cookies and chocolate on festive occasions.

I'm asking because Diablo has launched their products at some supermarket. From what I can read, Diablo products has an impact on bloodsugar levels?

https://shop.diablosugarfree.com/

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The sweetener used in many of the the "no sugar added" products also have an impac

The products are sweetened with erythritol. However I usually don't eat much of their products. Some of the cookies and chocolate on festive occasions.

I'm asking because Diablo has launched their products at some supermarket. From what I can read, Diablo products has an impact on bloodsugar levels?

https://shop.diablosugarfree.com/
Erythritol (if you are ok with the taste) is one of the sweeteners least likely to affect bgl along with stevia. But yes some are awful and it does vary person to person a bit. Maltitol for example is terrible for many.

Its not just the sweetener or sugar though. Flour, grains, oats, fruit etc are just as bad for diabetics and bars are typically full of these.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have rediscovered simple, quick baking - keto cakes, biscuits, scones.... I use a stevia/erythritol blend instead of sugar. This way, I know what is in them. Not low calorie, by any means, but they don’t upset my BG, and congenital laziness means that they remain occasional treats because I can’t be bothered to bake a constant supply!
Hi. Did you mean 'Carb' rather than 'Calorie' as the latter is irrelevant for us?

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Did you mean 'Carb' rather than 'Calorie' as the latter is irrelevant for us?
Nope, I mean low cal. Calories, as a measure of energy intake, are not irrelevant for me as I am actively losing weight on keto and I still believe that shoving in more than I expend will not help me achieve my goals. So yes, they are full of low carb energy, if you prefer. :cat:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope, I mean low cal. Calories, as a measure of energy intake, are not irrelevant for me as I am actively losing weight on keto and I still believe that shoving in more than I expend will not help me achieve my goals. So yes, they are full of low carb energy, if you prefer. :cat:
So many people do believe exactly that - they can get into quite a quandary when trying to adjust their diet according to their rules and in some cases find that their weight plummets faster when eating more than when on their diet. Some panic and think that they are ill.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suffer with frequent ventricular ectopic heart beats. (P.V.C.) My friend, who has atrial fibrillation, was told by her consultant to avoid all sweeteners. I rarely have any artificial sweeteners anyway, in any shape or form, apart from in my many cups of tea. A couple of months ago I stopped using these, and hey presto, my heart has almost returned to a normal rhythm. I was using saccharine tablets. I am just about beginning to enjoy my cuppas without them and certainly enjoying a regular heart rhythm.