Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Hey everyone. For about 2 weeks I have been getting Sulphur Burps which result in me being sick everytime. I went to the doctors and they gave me Lansoprazole 30mg, one to be taken daily. Well, I've been taking them, the first day I took them I was okay but now I am getting the sulphur burps again and I feel pretty ******. Im not eating anything I wouldn't normally eat, it's just all of a sudden I'm getting them and it's not exactly helping my blood glucose levels. Has anyone else had this and what did you do to help it or make it go away? It's making me really irritated and unwell.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry I can't speak from experience @No1DeadlyPoison - however I would suggest going back to your doctors, there is a cause for them so your GP needs to work out what it causing this, particularly if it's affecting your BG levels.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well @No1DeadlyPoison , that was a new one to me - I hadn't heard of sulphur burps before. According to doctor google, it could be caused by a multitude of things, stemming from Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth to Heliobactor Pylori, going via slow gut transit, not drinking enough water, food types, Coeliac's and a host of other things. All that Lansoprazole does is reduce stomach acid, so I'm not sure that it would make a huge difference to your issues.

I think you'd be best going back to the GP and politely demand more useful tests.

Reactions: aylalake

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Agree with @tim2000s -- you should definitely get back to the GP for tests

those sort of issues in the throat are pretty unpleasant:(

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree that the GP should be consulted/ However, the sulphur must be coming from something, so although you may be eating much the same things, maybe you have changed the ratios. Like increased the amount of double cream (which gives me a similar prob, but at the other end of the canal).

Here is a list of possible culprits
http://livewell.jillianmichaels.com/list-foods-contain-sulfur-5102.html

Edit to add: are you by any chance a smoker?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been tested for H-pylori bacterial infection? That is well know culprit to cause sulphur burps, so is giardia infection. If the PPI isn't helping, it is probably not reflux that is the cause. I went through a myriad of tests myself for my docs to work out why I chronically burp. I've been doing that since end of 2009 and it hasn't stopped. At least now I'm not burping every 8 seconds like I was when it first started up. I now just live with burping triggered by movement... that means if I move I do about 20-50 burps or more. My docs haven't found an answer to stop it for me because it's due to motility of my GI tract. My burps aren't sulphur tasting either thankfully. I'd say yours would likely be due to some food intolerance or infection. I wish you the best and I hope you can get a cure for it soon. :)

Reactions: Bobbin and Energize

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Thank you all for your comments, @tim2000s That's exactly what I thought about the Lansaprazole. I've also done a Heliobactor Pylori test and sent that off asap.

@Oldvatr, thanks for the link, also I don't smoke and drink very rarely.

@Mep I'm not burping constantly, it's just a few times.

The problem as well is that it's also effecting my temperature, one minute I'm freezing cold the next I feel like I'm burning, the doctor said I didn't have a temperature. I'm feeling very unwell and shaky.

Reactions: Mep

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Thank you all for your comments, @tim2000s That's exactly what I thought about the Lansaprazole. I've also done a Heliobactor Pylori test and sent that off asap.

@Oldvatr, thanks for the link, also I don't smoke and drink very rarely.

@Mep I'm not burping constantly, it's just a few times.

The problem as well is that it's also effecting my temperature, one minute I'm freezing cold the next I feel like I'm burning, the doctor said I didn't have a temperature. I'm feeling very unwell and shaky.
Hi @No1DeadlyPoison
just checking up on you to see if you are feeling any better yet ?:)

Reactions: azure

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

When I had my SIBO test I was taken in to hospital for 4 hours and tested every 15 minutes... what helio test have you sent off??

You mentioned sick. Some of your symptoms are very similar to those of gastroparesis too. I would if you just have a google at GP symptoms and see if any more match up to how you are feeling.

Please ask your doctor to be refered to a gastroenterologist.

In the meantime, just also avoid tomato and onion.

If it is SIBO on a longerm basis I take oil of oregano tablet which my gastro chap is delighted with as this can keep SIBO at bay and help keep that part of intestines healthy. Fortunately for me it has.

If you have got erosive gastritis in stomach which is pre ulcers etc... you would be prescribed a PPI but really your stomach needs to be checked with a camera. I cannot tolerate PPI's but had full stomach erosive gastritis and it has improved immensely since completely eliminating tomatoes and onions.

The fact that you say sulphur taste/sick leads me to think more along GP as this definitely gives "eggy burps" without eating eggs. It also gives vomiting at any time. I think its best to ask for your stomach to see a gastroenteroligist. GP is diagnosed from swallowing egg sandwich and tests to see how fast it travels or sometimes a smart pill. It won't be diagnosed via a camera in your stomach... wjich is why I would ask for a referral...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You have a good team of diabetic consultants if you are at your local hospital.. ut may be worthwhile talking to them about the problems. GP can be related to diabetes and tgey may be able to sort something quicker for you??

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to get sulphur burps with pancreatitis which also raised my temp and made me sick, are you getting any back pain ? I would definitely go back to your gp

Davidden

I agree that the GP should be consulted/ However, the sulphur must be coming from something, so although you may be eating much the same things, maybe you have changed the ratios. Like increased the amount of double cream (which gives me a similar prob, but at the other end of the canal).

Here is a list of possible culprits

Edit to add: are you by any chance a smoker?
I know this is an old thread but that list linked contains EVERYTHING that is on a low-carb diet, so basically everything that I eat! Mine is passing though!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know this is an old thread but that list linked contains EVERYTHING that is on a low-carb diet, so basically everything that I eat! Mine is passing though!
There is a latin proverb that translates to "That which I eat, destroys me". I think that list I provided covers most diets in use on the planet.

Reactions: lindisfel

Trisha N

Hey everyone. For about 2 weeks I have been getting Sulphur Burps which result in me being sick everytime. I went to the doctors and they gave me Lansoprazole 30mg, one to be taken daily. Well, I've been taking them, the first day I took them I was okay but now I am getting the sulphur burps again and I feel pretty ******. Im not eating anything I wouldn't normally eat, it's just all of a sudden I'm getting them and it's not exactly helping my blood glucose levels. Has anyone else had this and what did you do to help it or make it go away? It's making me really irritated and unwell.

Trisha N

Hi I have just joined this site and been reading this I also suffer from sulfur burps and bad pain in my stomach and lower back and I always vomit wen I get them .I have had all tests done and all came back fine,been to doctors and hospital many times..they think it mite be ibs ..but I don't know..don't think they do either..it is ruining my life as it is happening at least once a wk but it really takes it out of me .this has bn going on over a year now.two days ago I went and got a food intolerant test done and found out I am gluten intolerant lactose intolerant. and cant eat tomatoes and onions..so I'm on a special diet now two days in ..fingers crossed

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Infection with Giardia, an intestinal parasite, produce s sulphurous burps. This is a common complaint in India and Nepal but is becoming more common in Britain. Doctors may not think of this one! https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/giardiasis

Stephanie85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve had this for years. And currently suffering from the dreaded ‘eggy burps’, bloated stomach, feeling sick, back ache, it’s awful. Aside from diabetes, I have interactive thyroid, gastroparisis and coeliac disease. I’m on a gluten free diet so il take a guess it’s gastroparesis that’s the culprit. On lanzoprazole 30 mg once a day. But doesn’t make them go away. Dr’s not too much of a help ..however I do have a colonoscopy in Jan to rule out IBD . If anyone has found a cure for this please share. Xx

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had this for years. And currently suffering from the dreaded ‘eggy burps’, bloated stomach, feeling sick, back ache, it’s awful. Aside from diabetes, I have interactive thyroid, gastroparisis and coeliac disease. I’m on a gluten free diet so il take a guess it’s gastroparesis that’s the culprit. On lanzoprazole 30 mg once a day. But doesn’t make them go away. Dr’s not too much of a help ..however I do have a colonoscopy in Jan to rule out IBD . If anyone has found a cure for this please share. Xx
I know it's basic stuff but check blood glucose, check ketones.