1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Supplements

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments' started by Nikkipants, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Nikkipants

Nikkipants Type 2 · Member

Hey all! I'm pretty into supplements for my general health. I have read various things on T2 and supplements and I'm wondering if anyone else uses any to help control their sugars, etc? What have you found works/doesn't work? I turn to them for most everything else and am into natural healing as much as possible. I'm on metformin once a day and that's it. I was diagnosed just 2 weeks ago. Despite eating very low carb and low sugar and exercising 1-2 times daily, I haven't seen any changes, besides the fact that I've lost 10 pounds. Thanks!

2. Caeseji

Caeseji Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Usually Vitamin D3 and omega 3 mostly here myself, the rest I get from food.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am type 1 but trying carnosine (lowers bg but not in my case significantly) D3 and K2..for general heart and gut health.

4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

No supplements just good whole, healthy foods.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm on biotin, chromium, fish oil, B6, B12, D3, magnesium supplements for blood sugar control.

6. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind if you are doing everything right and your BG's aren't coming down you could be a misdiagnosed type 1. I was. Type 1/LADA is slower progressing and it is still commonly misdiagnosed as a type 2. So just keep it in mind, if you can't control your Bg's well. You need an antibody and a c peptide test to know for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nikkipants

Nikkipants Type 2 · Member

How is this for you? I've read about cinnamon, turmeric, and apple cider vinegar. But I'd love to know what works for others!

8. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

And Ceylon cinnamon in my coffee, and apple cider vinegar on eggs, turmeric in my weekly curry. I appear not to be able to help myself. I'm a supplements addict.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Cinnamon, chromium are good starts, it can vary person to person what works. When I thought I was a type 2 cinnamon didn't work that great for me, but 500mcg of chromium twice a day helped a lot and then of course nothing worked as time went on! But I know lots of people cinnamon did work for them. Also Gymnema is a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. There is no Spoon

There is no Spoon I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You hear a lot of phrases like "may reduce blood sugar" when talking about supplements.

Not so much about when and how to take the supplements and even less about the body's lack of ability to extract the nutrients properly or fully from the pills before they pass through your system. :bookworm:

Looking at Magnesium very good for the liver, is linked to weight loss and reducing blood glucose, can fend of heart attacks & strokes, reduce migraines, asthma, hay fever, multiple sclerosis, and for preventing hearing loss and cancer. (to name but a few)

Drinking to much coffee can reduce the body's ability to absorb magnesium and look at all the things that can go wrong if you don't get enough Magnesium. As @Guzzler said "No supplements just good whole, healthy foods." the reason for this is it gives your body time to digest and absorb the vitamins & nutrients effectively.

With the exception of vitamin D of course I live in Scotland only time I see the sun in on the shelf at the newsagents. :meh:
    :bag:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Low carb by itself is a powerful tool for a type two diabetic to reduce blood glucose - if you are really low carb and not seeing reducing numbers, then there could be something else going on and your doctor or nurse should be informed.

12. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I tried magnesium supplements to try to keep my calcium levels down because I have high serum calcium ,it didn't work but my energy levels dropped so I started them again and my energy levels increased noticeably but they have no effect on my BGS
    Carol

13. Reemap

Reemap · Well-Known Member

Try bitter gourd juice and Fenugreek water on empty stomach in the morning. It helps to reduce sugar.

14. There is no Spoon

There is no Spoon I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It has some interesting side effects too. :bookworm:
    :bag:

15. Reemap

Reemap · Well-Known Member

Can be taken in moderate level

16. Ryanstrong

Ryanstrong Prediabetes · Member

Scientists are testing many different supplements to determine if they help lower blood sugar. Such supplements could benefit people with prediabetes or diabetes — particularly type 2. Over time, taking a supplement alongside diabetes medication may enable your doctor to decrease your medication dose — though supplements likely can’t replace medication entirely. So you should be very careful. Know I am studying leptitox about which I found out on docarzt.com.

#16 Ryanstrong, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:05 PM
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  17. sweaty betty

sweaty betty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried soy supplements? I’ve been reading a few studies which found insulin sensitivity was increased in women after increasing soy intake.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook