Switching from Levemir to Tresiba

Maude999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I'm T1 and until last night had been taking 18 units of Levemir each evening. I was given Tresiba yesterday and advised to inject two units less. I went steadily up all night to 17.9 when my woke thirsty and groggy at 5am. Has anyone else made the switch, and if so, please could you give advice about dosages? Know everyone's different, but would be good to hear from you. Thank you.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Maude999 - I too was on Levemir and switched to Tresiba before I went onto the pump. My DSN dropped me a few units when I first started, it takes 2-3 days before you make any adjustments as Tresiba lasts around 36 hours, possibly longer, my DSN couldn't say for sure so making adjustments too quickly could bring on a hypo. It is a great background to be on - if you're having issues with overnight hypos, much more stable than others.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
P.S. Moving you to the type 1 section for more replies from others ;)

Reactions: himtoo

Maude999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, Juicyj- I will be patient. Looks like I'm going to be high for a while today but was having so many night hypos that it's worth giving this a go. Thanks again.

Reactions: himtoo and Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
To be honest if you're anything like me you want to get this down as quickly as possible, it will take a week or so for things to settle down, so don't rush to adjust and keep correcting with your novorapid in the meantime, and let your nurse know what you're readings are so keep a track.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The member @robert72 currently uses Tresiba insulin, hopefully by tagging him he'll reply to your thread.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Maude999

I can't really add much to what @Juicyj has said, except that I have had to raise my Tresiba recently from 13u to 16u due to the change in season, so I wonder if that could be affecting you as well... just to complicate matters when you are changing basal insulins as well.

Reactions: himtoo and Juicyj

Maude999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, juicyj and @robert72. It has all been quite a lot more stable today- with no highs as the afternoon wore on, which was nice. Could be the Trebisca effect, who knows?! Will keep on keeping on and if it evens me out I will be very happy. BTW, I'm using the Freestyle Libre and it is fabulous. If you're not and you could, do give it a go. A life-changer.

Reactions: robert72 and himtoo

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad it's settling down for you. Yep - been on the Libre for a couple of years now - can't imagine life without it :eek:

ManUtdGal!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty!
I use Tresiba and am better on it! I use the Novo Echo pen as it can do half units which is great. I took a few days to get sorted on it but you will get sorted!!!! Don't panic. A few days of corrections will be fine. It is a longer acting insulin than Levemir

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I still find it amazing how some people can have such a flat basal profile......

mine is up and down all day....