T1 Diagnosed 2 Weeks ago

Oscar87

Hey there,

I'm 31 years old and went to hospital 2 weeks ago where they told me I'm T1. My hb1c was 12,4 and blood sugar 475. I had 2 viral infections before (very bad flues) and layed 4 weeks sick in bed with up and downs. In the last 2 weeks before I went to hospital I got all the standard diabetic sympthoms. I had a candida infection in my mouth and drank a lot.... I thought everything was about the candida infection., I went to 3 different doctors, but nobody measured the blood sugar. I felt more and more weak... After a while I wasn't able to walk anymore. So, I went to hospital with a strong ketoacidosis and very sour blood ph-value 7.02.... They told me I almost died.

In hospital it was very hard to accept the diagnoses (it still is) and I though everything came through my heavy stress and unhealthy lifestyle I had which maybe caused the flues and candida infections.. and I thought my immune system just went down. (I'm thin, but ate a lot of unhealthy stuff, sleepless nights, stresss, alcohol, workaholic..)

In hospital they tested the GAD-65 antibodies and the IA2 antibodies both were negative and C-Peptide= 1 µg/L.

When I left the hospital last week I started to do small exercises and ate low carb. Yesterday I stopped taking insulin with very good results. Today my bloodsugar is in range from 4.7 - 7.2 without any insulin. After the meals (salad, meat, fish..) it goes up to 7 and regulates down automatically. I quit the long acting insulin as well three days before. Is that the honeymoonphase?

Still have a bit hope, but the doctos in hospital told me already I have to take insulin my lifetime long and the pancreas will get weaker with the time until it's completly dead. I really don't understand that. Every other organ is able to regenerate.

I still need to wait until I can see my diabetic doctor, she seems very busy. So I started to do a lot of reasearch, but still don't know if I'm Type 1b, LADA, Mody or maybe Type 2 or are they right with the classical Type 1. Very sceptical about the diagnose. Maybe somebody has simular results and has some advices for me. I would love to talk about all that stuff with somebody. I feel a bit helpless.

Thanks for reading

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there,

I'm 31 years old and went to hospital 2 weeks ago where they told me I'm T1. My hb1c was 12,4 and blood sugar 475. I had 2 viral infections before (very bad flues) and layed 4 weeks sick in bed with up and downs. In the last 2 weeks before I went to hospital I got all the standard diabetic sympthoms. I had a candida infection in my mouth and drank a lot.... I thought everything was about the candida infection., I went to 3 different doctors, but nobody measured the blood sugar. I felt more and more weak... After a while I wasn't able to walk anymore. So, I went to hospital with a strong ketoacidosis and very sour blood ph-value 7.02.... They told me I almost died.

In hospital it was very hard to accept the diagnoses (it still is) and I though everything came through my heavy stress and unhealthy lifestyle I had which maybe caused the flues and candida infections.. and I thought my immune system just went down. (I'm thin, but ate a lot of unhealthy stuff, sleepless nights, stresss, alcohol, workaholic..)

In hospital they tested the GAD-65 antibodies and the IA2 antibodies both were negative and C-Peptide= 1 µg/L.

When I left the hospital last week I started to do small exercises and ate low carb. Yesterday I stopped taking insulin with very good results. Today my bloodsugar is in range from 4.7 - 7.2 without any insulin. After the meals (salad, meat, fish..) it goes up to 7 and regulates down automatically. I quit the long acting insulin as well three days before. Is that the honeymoonphase?

Still have a bit hope, but the doctos in hospital told me already I have to take insulin my lifetime long and the pancreas will get weaker with the time until it's completly dead. I really don't understand that. Every other organ is able to regenerate.

I still need to wait until I can see my diabetic doctor, she seems very busy. So I started to do a lot of reasearch, but still don't know if I'm Type 1b, LADA, Mody or maybe Type 2 or are they right with the classical Type 1. Very sceptical about the diagnose. Maybe somebody has simular results and has some advices for me. I would love to talk about all that stuff with somebody. I feel a bit helpless.

Thanks for reading
Hiya,

I can’t comment on your diagnosis but I am in a similar situation. I was diagnosed as diabetic on 1st November and still don’t have a ‘type’. I am now on long and short acting insulin and it has made me feel so much better and made my life so much easier :).

I was negative for antibodies, but like you have a low c peptide. At the time of my c peptide test the blood glucose was high and the c peptide was low...

Just wanted to say don’t get too disheartened by what ‘type’ you are as the main thing is you get the correct treatment :).

Best of luck with everything!

Reactions: Kim Possible
D

Deleted Account

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease - this means our bodies have decided they don't like the cells which create insulin and have decided to kill them off. If new cells attempt to recreate, our bodies have not been retrained - they will still kill them off. This is one of the reasons transplants are a complex procedure because our bodies will see the transplanted insulin producing cells and kill them off.

I too was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in my 30s. Whilst it was a huge shock it has not made that much difference to my lifestyle.
Hope is a great thing to have - I have always focused mine on not having complications rather than on not having diabetes. It may take some time to accept but looking at what some people in the public eye do with type 1 (run the Marathon des Sable, win an Oscar, run a country) gives me hope that a type 1 diabetes diagnosis is not the end of my life.