T1 food.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_1559405155.721046.jpg
l
Lunch today. Homemade Chinese. Beef in Oyster sauce and Sichuan prawn in chilli sauce with fried rice. 65 carbs. Without the eclair. Goes well with a glass of red.

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Tonight is mushroom & seitan stroganoff, with brown rice and steamed veggies on the side. I'm making a batch of mixed blueberry & cranberry muffins today, so that's dessert sorted out.

Lunch will be a Buddha bowl of veg/salad/seeds/parmegan & white truffle infused olive oil as a dressing.

If I can remember (and I am a bear of very little brain, so I might not) I will take pics.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tonight is mushroom & seitan stroganoff, with brown rice and steamed veggies on the side. I'm making a batch of mixed blueberry & cranberry muffins today, so that's dessert sorted out.

Lunch will be a Buddha bowl of veg/salad/seeds/parmegan & white truffle infused olive oil as a dressing.

If I can remember (and I am a bear of very little brain, so I might not) I will take pics.

You sound like a great cook. Would love to see your meal pics :-D

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There's a really good sandwich shop next to my office, have lunch there most work days, a range of salad options, daily changing stews, curries, lasagne, quiche, baked potatoes, (and haggis!), all generally panning out at around 40 to 60g, I'll usually 20 to 30 min pre-bolus about 6 to 9u depending on bg trend, then, as the stews, curries, etc change daily, I'll not make my mind up till I walk in the door, so as I know I've got 6 to 9u on board, I'll tweak by adding a yoghurt or a kinder bueno if I prefer a lower carb salad that day.

Anyway, here's some recent pics from last week, had been meaning to post the xdrip trace for each of them, but lost track of the days, they were all reasonably decent.

First up is a baked potato with prawns and egg mayo, called it at 60g from Carbs & Cals. Potato based things can be tricky - I've still not figured out the complexity of chips, but baked potatoes, presumably because of the skins, the cooking, cooling and reheating changing the starch chemistry, and the fat from the mayo can have a remarkable stabilising effect.

20190528_120954_Burst01_2.jpg

Last edited:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
And then there was some brown rice, coleslaw, mixed veg, pulses, edamame, and Coronation Chicken.

CC is always tricky to carb count - the sauce tends to have sugar in it, and I'm seriously not going to count the raisins, a bit of apple juice later will deal with any over-bolus. I reached a reasonable accomodation, as the second pic shows, by not eating the last raisin..

20190529_121440_Burst01.jpg

20190529_124527_Burst01.jpg

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Day three in the cafe next door, and the advertised spring vegetable soup turned out not be the usual version with rice, carrots etc. which would have been an easy call at around 25g based on similar cans of Baxters soup, but a greener version with celery, peas, edamame, so just winged it with guesswork at 10g, and a BLT roll, say 50g.

20190531_120306_Burst01.jpg

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I remembered - mushroom & seitan stroganoff with rice and edamame beans (slightly overdone because he microwaved them!)

20190602-173414.jpg

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I remembered - mushroom & seitan stroganoff with rice and edamame beans (slightly overdone because he microwaved them!)

20190602-173414.jpg

White rice seems to pop up a lot on the pics in this thread.

I've always found it very difficult to bolus for - either nothing much happens or I'll have a crazy spike at unexpected times - whereas brown/wild rice, presumably because of the fibre skin, has the opposite effect - stable, stable, stable.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_8192.jpg
IMG_8194.jpg

Hello I’ve decided to join the food club because we are the best foodies. Today we went to Ask Italian, I tried the vegan spaghetti ragu and dark chocolate and blood orange tart with raspberry sorbet. I unfortunately hypoed, I didn’t finish my main and the food took over 1hr to get to us so timing was off but they had the nutritional information on a sheet and I followed that and did split dose but here we are with my coke and oreos.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Today we went to Ask Italian, I tried the vegan spaghetti ragu and dark chocolate and blood orange tart with raspberry sorbet.

#competitivecarbcounting, Mei!

I'd call the main meal at around 50 to 60, the dessert at around 20 to 25 for the slice depending on how thick the pastry base is and maybe 5 to 10 for the sorbet, depends on the amount of water in it.

Would have pre-bolused about 4u in advance to get some insulin in stream but not too much to allow for service delays and uncertainty over portion sizes, then another 6 or so, as it doesn't really matter that much when you've got the plate in front of you as the main meal carbs are there, and you can leave adjustments for the dessert, which might be looking at either a 2 or 3u tweak, or nothing depending on how the earlier stacking is panning out.

Just my numbers, YDMV!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
#competitivecarbcounting, Mei!

I'd call the main meal at around 50 to 60, the dessert at around 20 to 25 for the slice depending on how thick the pastry base is and maybe 5 to 10 for the sorbet, depends on the amount of water in it.

Would have pre-bolused about 4u in advance to get some insulin in stream but not too much to allow for service delays and uncertainty over portion sizes, then another 6 or so, as it doesn't really matter that much when you've got the plate in front of you as the main meal carbs are there, and you can leave adjustments for the dessert, which might be looking at either a 2 or 3u tweak, or nothing depending on how the earlier stacking is panning out.

Just my numbers, YDMV!
According to the nutritional sheet, the snack I had which was spicy nuts and beans - a mix of chickpeas, broad beans etc that was 39g carbs, the spaghetti was 29g carbs which I found hard to believe, carbs and cals would have said something different and the tart was 35g, the base was very thin, more chocolate than sorbet and base put together. All in all 11 units, split dose in between 3 dishes and over 1hr wait for food in between meals (we were there from 13:30 until 17:00), give of take I was hungry and possibly dying. I hypoed on my way home, so I guess it I could have tweaked the doses for everything and timed the dose right but who knew we had to wait over an hr for food. :( I didn't finish my main, only finished the snack and dessert.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

White rice seems to pop up a lot on the pics in this thread.

I've always found it very difficult to bolus for - either nothing much happens or I'll have a crazy spike at unexpected times - whereas brown/wild rice, presumably because of the fibre skin, has the opposite effect - stable, stable, stable.
It's brown basmati, which is much slower for me. Tastes better, more filling and much better for you than white rice

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Tonight I have a seitan steak, steamed broccoli, peas and some oven chips. I'm having onion gravy with that - and my mum will be turning in her grave 'cos she thought it somehow common to have gravy with chips but I love it! Afterwards I shall have fresh blueberries with Alpro thick yoghurt. All measured for quantities & carbs, and it works out to 60.2 grams. What I inject depends on what my blood is doing when I sit down.

I'll add a pic later.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I needed to go shopping today but I didn't, so I'll have to make do with what I can find. Lucky thing I have guinea-pigs who want their veggies every day, I can always steal from what I bought them :)
I have bell pepper, cucumber, a small onion and garlic. And some diced bacon, olives, cashews, a Spanish sausage which I didn't really like in the freezer and of course hot sauce, mayonnaise, oil, vinegar, soy sauce and various powdered spices and herbs. And eggs of course, way too many eggs, thanks to the chickens.
Still need to decide what to make from these choices.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Baked potato tonight with prawns in some peri peri mayonnaise, roasted asparagus and watercress, spinach & rocket to dip in any leftover mayo. Carbs were 66g from the potato and mayo mix.

d8c7e2b0f080ed95de83add2dd4fa00c.jpg

I have grown rocket in a tub and tonight, for the first time, I will picking a few leaves to make a salad to go with my burger and onions. But............. your meal does look rather :hungry:

Reactions: db89
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I needed to go shopping today but I didn't, so I'll have to make do with what I can find. Lucky thing I have guinea-pigs who want their veggies every day, I can always steal from what I bought them :)
I have bell pepper, cucumber, a small onion and garlic. And some diced bacon, olives, cashews, a Spanish sausage which I didn't really like in the freezer and of course hot sauce, mayonnaise, oil, vinegar, soy sauce and various powdered spices and herbs. And eggs of course, way too many eggs, thanks to the chickens.
Still need to decide what to make from these choices.

With those ingredients, whatever you make, will be really :hungry: