T1 food.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 40263

Fish pie, pan fried spud n spinach gnocchi, veg olives humous, around and about 90g carbs, 5u Humalog now and I'd imagine another 3.5u n a couple of hours.

The gnocchi is overcooked on one side due to multitasking....
Looks delicious and well balanced. Not sure about the olives.:***::***:

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A reasonably hot chicken and poached egg curry with brown basmati rice, playing find the bay leaf as I eat it :p 5.5u Humalog now, another 3 in a couple of hours, probably 2u more for supper.
IMG_0482.jpg

Reactions: MattH892

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
A reasonably hot chicken and poached egg curry with brown basmati rice, playing find the bay leaf as I eat it :p 5.5u Humalog now, another 3 in a couple of hours, probably 2u more for supper.View attachment 40707
I've never thought about doing an egg in a curry, I think it sounds good. Is this your own creation @kev-w or does it come from an over-paid chef?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never thought about doing an egg in a curry, I think it sounds good. Is this your own creation @kev-w or does it come from an over-paid chef?

In days gone by my parents had a time share in Portugal, we used to eat in a back street bar and could buy a spicy tomato soup, 'Annas soup' in fact as that was the bar lady's name and it had a poached egg in it and was nice so I thought 'why not' :)

Reactions: Antje77

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Winner winner chicken dinner :p 3 quid reduced at the supermarket and the spuds are jersey royals, quite low carb for me...

IMG_0484.jpg

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_0504.jpg

Chilli spag bol for tea, last nights bol left overs as I had the daughter stay and she insists on the pesto and I chucked a finely chopped habenaro in the ragu, carrots broccoli and mange tout under there too, about 65g carbs in the pasta and maybe 20 in the sauce, served with grated parmigiano reggiano cheese, 5u Humalog now and 3 or so in 90-120 mins time...

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry - only just caught up on this thread being back in action again! But, I'll throw my tuppence worth in...

@SueJB - I pretty regularly have curried vegetables, (whatever spices I've got, and whatever vegetables I feel like, but usually leeks, tomato, mushrooms, courgette, and peppers,) then add a couple of eggs to the middle of the mix, put a lid on the frying pan and let it all gently cook for 10 minutes. I'll take a picture when I do it later! It's become one of my staples for ringing the changes with eggs which I love and eat a lot of and this is one of those dishes I can mess around with to my heart's content. Often do it with garlic and herbes de provence as well.

Reactions: kev-w and SueJB

Jackpc

Newly diagnosed t1.

I see a lot of low carb posts and approaches on this site. I have some questions and some anxieties!!

So I generally eat very healthy, lots of fresh veg, healthy meats and fish. I have tried a low carb approach before I was diabetic, including keto (for 3 months). I genuinely felt terrible and was really cold and pale and lifeless/low energy. I feel a lot better in my stomach and my head eating moderate carb, so now on top of the meat and veg I eat pulses/beans and whole grains.

But I see that a lot of people say that low carb is the way to go to manage t1 diabetes, and it makes me feel nervous, like i should be doing that, but i don’t generally feel as good?

Any advice out there? Anyone do moderate or higher carb approaches and have success?

Reactions: kev-w and Japes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Jackpc Welcome to the forum, and to the world of diabetes!

One of the very reasons this thread got started by @kev-w was to show there are as many different ways of eating as there are those of us with diabetes of one kind or another. The joy of T1 is that you can match your insulin to your food and eat what works for you. Of course, it's never quite that straightforwards.... but it's really up to you. Eat what works for you, get your insulin right, be aware even if you do all the right things you may need to change things.

Are you carb counting yet or are you on fixed doses? I was on fixed doses initially to help work out what my insulin:carbs ratio should be and during that time (about a month) eating more carbs than I personally preferred for myself at that time was essential. I'd had a couple of years of misdiagnosis as T2, where very low carb had worked for me and where I felt very well. I'm not keen to return to that for long again, just because I enjoy a whole variety of food too much!

There's a great deal of trial and error and more than just food/insulin to take into account - right now I'm nowhere near as active as usual, and as my insulin needs are up. I've had an underlying infection which has almost cleared, and it showed in my blood sugars and the amount of insulin needed to battle that. The joy this morning on waking up on a "normal for Japes" number rather than a "Was I binge-eating carbs in my sleep?!?!" number and not having to calculate extra correction doses or think do I have to shove my basal up another 10% again cannot be underestimated.

Good luck with it all and enjoy your food while getting to grips with all this!!

It's worth reading through some if not all of this thread to get the idea you eat what suits you, and check out the Type 1'stars R Us thread - we're a bit quiet at the moment, probably because most of us are doing much the same thing every day right now, but we're a supportive bunch!

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77 and kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Newly diagnosed t1.

I see a lot of low carb posts and approaches on this site. I have some questions and some anxieties!!

So I generally eat very healthy, lots of fresh veg, healthy meats and fish. I have tried a low carb approach before I was diabetic, including keto (for 3 months). I genuinely felt terrible and was really cold and pale and lifeless/low energy. I feel a lot better in my stomach and my head eating moderate carb, so now on top of the meat and veg I eat pulses/beans and whole grains.

But I see that a lot of people say that low carb is the way to go to manage t1 diabetes, and it makes me feel nervous, like i should be doing that, but i don’t generally feel as good?

Any advice out there? Anyone do moderate or higher carb approaches and have success?

I'm in my 36th year as a T1 diabetic, I've never done 'low' carb or had an hba1c over 55, I've never had a proper doctor suggest a low carb diet either, but then as I've said many times before, not all carbs are equal in the way they work, in my opinion low carb's for T2's and they're different illnesses, but do what works for you is the best way. :)

Reactions: nickm

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I made an eggciting discovery this week messing around with an omelette, I often chuck some English mustard in the egg mix before cooking it but tried hot horseradish sauce for a change, this doesn't work as it appears to make the egg mix curdle as I found out when I tried to flip the omelette.

Anyway I invented spicy chicken scrambled egg :p

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Saturday night is curry night :p

IMG_0508.jpg

Pardon the dust coating, I'm sanding the front and back rooms and living in a lair of dust currently....

Reactions: MattH892

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_0526.jpg

Chicken & shallot frittata, with humous and bread. :) 3 eggs :p

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
This is almost carb free and a doddle to make
IMG_4507.JPG

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Do you have a recipe for that Sue? It looks delicious.

Cheese cake
Base
190g almond flour, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 3 tbsp sugar substitute (erthrithrytol!! or xy??) 100g melted butter
Mix all these together and chill for at least 1 hour
Filling
180g philly cheese, 90ml double cream, 1tbsp sugar substitute, 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Beat the philly til fluffy
Beat the cream til fluffy and thick, stir the 2 together.
Add sugar substitute, stir in vanilla
Spread over the base and chill
Topping
Any old berries, stewed in a tiny tadge of water. Wait till cold and spread on the cake

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese cake
Base
190g almond flour, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 3 tbsp sugar substitute (erthrithrytol!! or xy??) 100g melted butter
Mix all these together and chill for at least 1 hour
Filling
180g philly cheese, 90ml double cream, 1tbsp sugar substitute, 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Beat the philly til fluffy
Beat the cream til fluffy and thick, stir the 2 together.
Add sugar substitute, stir in vanilla
Spread over the base and chill
Topping
Any old berries, stewed in a tiny tadge of water. Wait till cold and spread on the cake
Fab, thanks.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_0561.jpg

Italian chicken with an Indian Italian bread, the bread's kind of a risen wholemeal naan with olive oil used in the dough's construction that wasn't flattened but I'm new to baking :p

Edit, a lockdown portion size whilst waiting for the gym to reopen...