Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Reactions: JAT1

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Let’s not get too excited. The article you reference calls it MODERATE carbs. It is NOT low carb. It was a small trial (only 50 people) over a very short period (4 weeks) and their CGM was masked which is no longer representative of how most people with Type 1 manage their diabetes.

A far better comparison would be with people adjusting their insulin based on their CGM readings.

Last edited:

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Early on in my diabetic journey I was influenced by the work of Dr Richard Bernstein and his book "The Diabetes Solution" and lowered my carbs significantly, now on average about 80 to 110 carbs per day - less than that and I lose weight. It works very well for me. My blood sugar is nearly always in range. My insulin needs are usually 7 long acting and 10 short acting per day.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Although I agree with @In Response that the study is small and frustratingly limited (if you guess an average calorie intake of approx 2000 a day that is about 150g a day and it would be better if the cgms weren't masked) it may encourage people to do more comprehensive studies.

I would have though that like Dr Unwin most clinicians know how many carbs their T1s claim to eat, so it would be relatively easy to compare that with hba1cs ....

Reactions: In Response