T2... and ashamed

Dippy3103

Thank you to everyone.
I have my first weight check tomorrow- see if i have shed any weight over the past few weeks! I do hope so, i didn't like being big on the first place, and now i really do need to shift it!

Dippy3103

Well, first weight check.... 5lbs off in two weeks!!!
That is despite two christmas parties and a weekend at the inlaws! Feeling a tad pleased with myself. :D :D :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Congratulations dippy. Keep at it, it will definitely get better. You are on a roll now........ :D

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't need to feel ashamed as Type 2 and being overwieght aren't necessarily always linked. There are those of us with Type 2 but who have never been overweight. I was a 10st (male) when diagnosed 5 years ago and now only 9.5! So, the main thing for all of us apart from medication when needed, is a sensible diet regardless of weight and excercise. I'm keeping the carbs down whilst having a balanced diet overall to keep my BS within sensible levels.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
dont anyone be ashamed Iam type 2 diagnosed in April and I am 1 STONE UNDERWEIGHT we all have to deal with our diabetes and we can do without negative comments. Just keep positive we are with you !

Sweet enough

Dippy3103 said:
I'm a newly diagnosed T2. It still hasn't really sunk in that I have a lifelong diagnosis- my Gran was a T2 so i'm not the first in my family.

I am over weight (OK, obese. It crept up on me) but won't be telling anyone the numbers.

I don't want to tell anyone. I feel as if people will judge that because I am "fat" that i basically deserve it. I also work with one person in particular who will make a point of making endless comments about what i do/don't eat- and doubtless will point out that it's linked to obesity.

I have made changes in the past couple of weeks and do intend to take notice and actually do something about this. As my practice nurse cheerfully told me, i can either crumble and let it take over or make a difference. I am making a difference.

Has anyone else felt like this? How did you deal with the comments? I know i can't keep it secret forever- the number of appointments I sudenly have will make people wonder (and the fairly obvious changes to my diet).

I feel better for getting it off my chest.... but if anyone can offer any words of advice i'd be greatful.

Yep I felt the same. I dont have any words of comfort for that issue except to either go full pelt and announce it to the world, or keep it secret and just tell people youre trying to lose weight! Choose which makes you feel better but dont be ashamed.
Ive told everyone and had a few innocently naieve comments but no outright rudeness or fingerpointing and besides its not a big thing to anyone else and certainly none of their business if theyre not friend or family.

As for the making a difference ! Ive had my first bloods done on 14th dec since DX 8 weeks ago- a little early because of xmas and the chances of my overdoing it.
In 8 weeks Ive been able to turn 7.8 hba1c into 6.1 thats an average of 11.2 mmol into 7.8 mmol, and my cholestrol has dropped too. (all despite a week long "I dont give a ****" relapse in between)
I lost 10lb but have put 4 back on - its going to be a slog but we can make a difference to ourselves as the diabetes treatment is largly in our own hands - or should I say much of it is!
Good luck anyway and hope everything goes as you want it to .

nabser

There is sod all to be ashamed of regarding diabetes,i was diagnosed with diabetes on christmas eve 2007,unfortunately i did not read the signs or symptoms too well and ended up in an ambulance at half six christmas eve morning and came round in intensive care three days later to be told i was diabetic,my blood sugars were 96.4 and i actually died twice christmas eve,getting diabetes was probably the best thing to happen to me as it gave me the kick in the backside i needed to change my life around i was given a second chance and i was not going to waste it.I was 137kgs over 21stone in six months i lost 9 stone,my HA1BC was 5.1 last time i was with my endocrinologist,so dont despair about having it and dont worry about snide comments or remarks some people cant help being ignorant and i wish you well dealing with your diabetes.

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
Hi Dippy.
Like you I have recently been diagnosed T2 and felt that my life was going from bad to worse, as I was badly hurt twice while serving in Northern Ireland back in 1981 and have had to use a walking stick ever since.
Naturally my weight went up from 12 stone to 18 stone over the years and in March 07 I suffered a heart attack and was told I have heart disease in all three arteries, and had stents put in two of them.
Then to be told this year I had T2 made me feel totally dejected and depression set in.
My main worry was and still is, I am a single dad of 5 with the 2 youngest still living with me and all that goes through my mind is what will happen to them if I die?.
I found out I had T2 when I lost 2 stone and was drinking vast amounts of liquid and not quenching the thirst.
But I am like you changing my whole life around and have been reading everything here on these forums so that I can continue to change, what I have noticed is the people on here are from my point of view extremely helpful and I know by reading the threads that anything I need to know I can get the answers here.
As to the comments, ignore them, I do, it is my own thoughts of failure to my children that hurt me the most but both my son and daughter tell me daily that I am not a failure to them for getting T2, and that it was not my fault either.
So what I say is keep going with the changes in your life and know that there are people here that will always help you.