t2 injection?

Sezzle

When I went for my foot check today with diabetic nurse she asked how I was doing. I was diagnosed 8 weeks ago at 97 and had bloods done after 7 weeks and down to 64- I’m on full dose of metaformin and doing strict low carb. She offered an mthly injection as alternative? Any body tried it, I’m kind of feeling what I’m doing is working but wondered if anyone knew more about this injection?
My blood pressure was high but she said this sometimes happens initially when you loose slot of weight? I’ve lost 2 stone in the 8 weeks, but lot more to go!!
Now I’m worried about blood pressure! But think it’s the same things I’m doing, given up smoking 6 months ago, loose weight, exercise, eat sensible and and try not to stress!!
Any thoughts experience would be welcome, thank you

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... She offered an mthly injection as alternative? ...
That wouldn't be insulin. It has to be injected every day. Ask for more details. The GLP-1 RAs can be injected weekly, but I don't know about monthly.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Not sure why you'd want an injection when what you are doing is clearly working. Can't say I've heard of it. I'd ask for details, side effects etc if you really want to do that. If you are to continue with LC it may not be a good idea at all if it is a glucose lowering thing.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I went for my foot check today with diabetic nurse she asked how I was doing. I was diagnosed 8 weeks ago at 97 and had bloods done after 7 weeks and down to 64- I’m on full dose of metaformin and doing strict low carb. She offered an mthly injection as alternative? Any body tried it, I’m kind of feeling what I’m doing is working but wondered if anyone knew more about this injection?
My blood pressure was high but she said this sometimes happens initially when you loose slot of weight? I’ve lost 2 stone in the 8 weeks, but lot more to go!!
Now I’m worried about blood pressure! But think it’s the same things I’m doing, given up smoking 6 months ago, loose weight, exercise, eat sensible and and try not to stress!!
Any thoughts experience would be welcome, thank you
You're making excellent progress, so i don't really see the point, really... I think if you get a HbA1c done 3 months after starting strict LCHF, you'll be either in the prediabetic or the non-diabetic range. And it won't be down to the meds you're on. I'd say, ask for a few month's grace and see what happens. But entirely up to you! In the meantime, well done!!!

Sezzle

Thanks for your thoughts, I did think weird as I was pleased with progress. It wasn’t insulin, she said monthly injection to lower blood sugar and also spirits suppressant? I did say I didn’t feel I wanted to change unless reason she thought it would be better for me?
I don’t struggle with hunger since going to 40g or less carb so that’s not really a problem. I would like to think I can reduce the 4 metformin at som point too.
Thx

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your thoughts, I did think weird as I was pleased with progress. It wasn’t insulin, she said monthly injection to lower blood sugar and also spirits suppressant? I did say I didn’t feel I wanted to change unless reason she thought it would be better for me?
I don’t struggle with hunger since going to 40g or less carb so that’s not really a problem. I would like to think I can reduce the 4 metformin at som point too.
Thx
You don't have to "like to think"... Know it. :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would not go with this injection until you have followed the low carb route and failed. I'm surprised it was offered so soon after you said that you have changed your diet. Your choice but if it was me I would wait a while and check that the LC diet was reducing your weight first.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A friend's partner has a regular injection (I don't think as often as weekly) instead of diabetes medication. I'm not sure what it is, but this isn't the first time I've heard of such a thing.

HbA1c is an indicator of average blood sugar over the last 2-3 months, with more recent weeks/months having greater influence than times further in the past. Testing 12 weeks after going low carb should provide the true picture of how much impact your diet change has had on your averages. It effectively halved mine from 76 mmol/mol to 39.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On 40 gm of carbs a day I am in remission and don't require any medication.
I suspect that many HCPs are unaware that is even possible.