T2D and High Blood Pressure - Potassium/Sodium link ?

tubamanandy

As a T2D for past 8 years or so (on 2 x 500mg Metformin), I have also been treated for High Blood Pressure for a similar amount of time.

I've had the book "The High Blood Pressure Solution - Richard D Moore" book for several years and recently re-read it. It's basically saying that Hypertension is caused by an imbalance between the sodium (salt) and potassium levels in our cells. You basically need about 4x more potassium than sodium in your system by increasing your potassium levels and/or decreasing your sodium levels.

As a T2D, its quite difficult to increase your potassium levels as the best sources are often fruit (banana being a classic example) and also salt is in virtually everything ! Even if you have a small amount of hidden salt, you need a corresponding large amount of potassium to keep the 1:4 ratio (K Ratio) of sodium:potassium.

Is this relationship well known about or even correct ? Would be interested to hear from someone who has the book/tried this method of blood pressure reduction or is generally knowledgeable on the subject

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What is wrong with Spinach, Salmon, Advocado, Sweet Pots (for those not on really low carb). All of them higher in K than banana

There is a link btw because liquorice causes your kidneys to flush potassium and raises blood pressure as well. I do not think this is the only cause though

tubamanandy

What is wrong with Spinach, Salmon, Advocado, Sweet Pots (for those not on really low carb). All of them higher in K than banana

There is a link btw because liquorice causes your kidneys to flush potassium and raises blood pressure as well. I do not think this is the only cause though

"There is a link btw because liquorice causes your kidneys to flush potassium and raises blood pressure as well. I do not think this is the only cause though"

Now that is interesting from my point of view. Just found out about Spinach & Sweet Potato - not sure about the rest :)

lindisfel

Expert
Hi tub,
This is a subject I have looked into because I balance my sodium and potassium.
BP meds can cause retention or loss of potassium. Do you mind me asking what you are taking, please?

I have Conn's syndrome if you look that up it may help you have insight into the balance required between k and na!
regards
Derek

As a T2D for past 8 years or so (on 2 x 500mg Metformin), I have also been treated for High Blood Pressure for a similar amount of time.

I've had the book "The High Blood Pressure Solution - Richard D Moore" book for several years and recently re-read it. It's basically saying that Hypertension is caused by an imbalance between the sodium (salt) and potassium levels in our cells. You basically need about 4x more potassium than sodium in your system by increasing your potassium levels and/or decreasing your sodium levels.

As a T2D, its quite difficult to increase your potassium levels as the best sources are often fruit (banana being a classic example) and also salt is in virtually everything ! Even if you have a small amount of hidden salt, you need a corresponding large amount of potassium to keep the 1:4 ratio (K Ratio) of sodium:potassium.

Is this relationship well known about or even correct ? Would be interested to hear from someone who has the book/tried this method of blood pressure reduction or is generally knowledgeable on the subject

Dark Horse

The Mayo clinic has advice about ways to control high blood pressure without medication which includes eating more fruit and vegetables as they contain potassium and to cut back on foods which contain salt:- https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...ure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20046974

Bloodpressure UK has advice about how to eat more potassium:- http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/microsites/salt/Home/Howtoeatmorepotassium

and how to cut back on salt:-
http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/microsites/salt/Home/Howtoeatlesssalt

lindisfel

Expert
Problem is if some diabetics have too much fructose they get fatty liver disease!

Until one has had a U&E blood test one cannot tell if one has low potassium!
Whilst sodium is a problem for the salt sensitive, those with no such issues making guesses about k and trying to supplement over the recommended 4.7 grams a day is a risky business.
The salt sensitive must keep their sodium low. Perhaps below 1gram/day if they have a faulty adrenal gland.

For most people the body regulates and controls the sodium/ potassium balance by its feedback system working on the kidneys and elsewhere in the body.
Some drugs work on this system!

When tissue gets saturated with sodium,
potassium is lost from tissues and BP rises in the salt sensitive.
regards
D.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the full kidney (U&E) function tests as part of my diabetes blood checks. My potassium levels are towards the higher end of the range and I eat no fruit other than a few berries once a week, and very few vegetables. I get it from salmon (3 times a week), eggs by the lorry load, and mushrooms daily.