take aways

winky 57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi was wondering what others eat when going to or ordering a take away from chinese or indian as everywhere i look rice is bad for you. Also when going to the chippy what can i order as chips are bad for diabetics and so is deep fried food.Any ideas would be most appreciated.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indian, anything dry tandoori like chicken or mixed grill, my local does a great tandoori fish dish, sometimes have a saag paneer to go along with it. Chinese I have special foo yung or salt & pepper ribs that have no sauce or a chop suey without sauces. Chip shop is very difficult unless you have a very strong will power, if I di the chippy I get a very large fish and remove the batter.

Kebabs without the pitta extra salad
I had a McDonald’s big tasty meal on Saturday asked for no bun and side salad in place of fries - the whole lot was about 11g carb and very filling

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Hi was wondering what others eat when going to or ordering a take away from chinese or indian as everywhere i look rice is bad for you. Also when going to the chippy what can i order as chips are bad for diabetics and so is deep fried food.Any ideas would be most appreciated.
For many years now if I have ordered a chinese I order special chop suey. It is beansprouts, a little carrot and onion, chicken, beef and prawn. Not everywhere does it though. Also beef and tomato.

letsgo182

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At Indian I order the mixed meat starter and have it with salad. I get donner meat and salad often for takeaway. From chip shop I get a jumbo sausage and a double Burger without the bun. Good luck!

Reactions: winky 57 and EllieM

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@letsgo182 please be aware that the OP is T2 and not on insulin so may not be able to cope with some foods, @winky 57 Be careful of sausages and burgers if you are on a low carb or keto diet, they are usually bog standard cheap products and full of fillers like breadcrumbs that can affect your BS. A chippy jumbo sausage I had many moons ago when totally stuck for anything else put me in double figures! We are all different. Testing before and after eating will be the only way you’ll know if you can eat something or not.

letsgo182

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@letsgo182 please be aware that the OP is T2 and not on insulin so may not be able to cope with some foods, @winky 57 Be careful of sausages and burgers if you are on a low carb or keto diet, they are usually bog standard cheap products and full of fillers like breadcrumbs that can affect your BS. A chippy jumbo sausage I had many moons ago when totally stuck for anything else put me in double figures! We are all different. Testing before and after eating will be the only way you’ll know if you can eat something or not.
I was aware. I can eat all of the above with minimal insulin as a type 1 though so I think my advice stands.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was aware. I can eat all of the above with minimal insulin as a type 1 though so I think my advice stands.
Just shows we are all different I’m T2 and whilst I could cope quite happily with the mixed meat starter with salad the sausage and burgers would blow me out of the water, as you say you can take minimal insulin or a correction dose. Many T2 cannot

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I don't have a problem with deep fried food as long as the frying is done in lard or dripping rather than a seed oil. Many other T2s would say the same. The issue is what's being fried. Potato is a no-no for me. I can manage a deep fried battered fish every so often without a significant impact on my BG.

Indian or Chinese, same principle: meats without sauce, bread, noodles or rice.