Thanks for all the help

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not usually a 'forum' joiner but decided that I needed to join this one having been reading and absorbing the life changing information on here if for no other reason than to give the people diagnosed today access to the same sort of fresh personal stories that have helped me.
Diagnosed with T2 in October last year when my HbA1c was 112mmol/mol. Just devastated at the time but determined to do 'something' about it but with no real understanding of what that might be beyond the need to lose weight.
I already knew about the Newcastle Uni research as I had tagged some friends with it in the past. I read everything they had written and decided to do my own version using proper food.
Nobody will be surprised to hear that despite my obesity at the time my actual diet was pretty much the Eatwell plate, I love beans and pulses, I made my own wholegrain breads, I avoided fat like it was the very devil. I took my diet very seriously having had a heart attack four years ago which needed a stent, only a fool would mess around with their diet after that wouldn't they? I was as confused as a very confused thing then that I just couldn't stop putting on weight, it made no sense to me. In the end I just had to accept that I was a big, fat, pig who couldn't even manage to eat properly, it was a very unhappy place to be mentally.
So, and I doubt this is too unusual, getting diagnosed as T2 has been an absolute blessing, I was dying before with no idea why but now I am starting to understand and what I am learning is shocking.
Thank you one and all for educating me.
The effect of your combined wisdom has seen my weight drop from 18 stone in October to 13 stone 5 pounds today (6ft 2in) and that has been accomplished without any difficulty at all, I just kept feeling better with more energy and my mental health was perfect. It wasn't my fault after all. I have to wait until March for my next test but did purchase a meter and therefore have some idea of the impact and so far I haven't seen it move out of non diabetic levels and fasting bg is generally low 4's.
The penny finally dropped for me when I dropped below a BMI of 25 and started wondering what my diet would look like now that the very low calorie diet was coming to an end. Feeling very clever I tested my tolerance to porridge, I love porridge, it was fine, porridge was back on the menu, great! because that is good for me.....oh, hang on...
The scales fell from my eyes, (@Jim Lahey it was you wot did it you star) I love carbs but they don't love me any more, it's time for the divorce.
I was accidentally keto during my diet because I kept it to 500 calories a day and had the odd fast day but was still eating 2 portions of fruit a day so it was a bit more carby than my current diet which is no longer calorie restricted.
In the past when I stopped a diet the first thing that happened was that I would put on half a stone overnight, that was mainly water obviously but this time my weight didn't change as I increased what I ate, in fact my weight is still gently drifting down still which will suit me for a while.
I feel better than I have felt in many years, I have clearly been experiencing hyperinsulemia for a very long time and that had compensated sufficiently well to keep my blood sugars down until recently. It does make me wonder about the heart attack now though, I blamed myself for that too as I was overweight, perhaps I know why now.
I might not have dodged the bullet but it only winged me and now I am off and running (actually off and walking but buying a bike) and the Eatwell plate is consigned to the bin forever.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish I could use more than just "winner" on this post, you are an inspiration. This forum has also educated me and helped me muddle through to something that is working for me. Very early days for me on LCHF and IF, but it feels right. Congratulations to you and I hope you won't mind if I also add my thanks to the forum users for their support and guidance.

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your kind words. I have never felt like an inspiration, I mainly felt guilty. Hopefully you will be right though. One of the people I sent the Newcastle info to years ago never actually did anything about it but are now making some serious effort to reduce their carbs and are already seeing some improvement in their levels, and there is a lot of room for improvement.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I mainly felt guilty.
Please drop those feelings of guilt along with the surplus weight. Especially now that you know the explanation. Congratulations on your wonderful results, and welcome to the forum. I hope you'll keep posting :)

Reactions: Prem51

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you are doing an amazing job well done you.
It is hard though coming to terms with just how detrimental our old ‘healthy ‘ way of eating was and that feeling of where we going wrong as we were doing all the ‘right’ things - even though our health professionals just thought that we were cheating! Amazing isn’t it the results from eating low carb and officially ‘unhealthily! Funniest thing I find with my new weight and good health is how lots of people always say I must be doing loads of exercise! The judgement was that I was somehow lazy back them whereas in fact I probably do similar amounts then and now I just find it easier and less tiring now I’m lighter and have a non diabetic hbaca1.
As you say that Eatwell plate is definitely consigned to the bin - well done you.

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Briped, oh yes, the guilt has well and truly gone, as has a brief bit of feeling ashamed and a reluctance to tell people.
I do need to stay here for the top up, common sense injection that this forum provides. I am very aware of how early this is in my journey and just because I am all Tiggerish right now doesn't mean I wont fall down the very first trap.
I felt so ill for so long and feel so good right now I just want to tell everybody about it.

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the kind mention, but I’m not sure I had anything to do with anything here? :pompous:

Glad to hear you’re on the path to good health anyway, though. Hip hip hooray! :D

Ah but you did:shy:.
It was your thread looking at why people test that stopped me from slowly but steadily reintroducing carbs simply because I could and made me ask myself why I would want to do that.
Answer, I don't.
It is now obvious to me that that would not have suited me at all and I know what the consequences would have been. Your posts are hugely informative and raise interesting points for thought and I have valued them greatly. Losing weight is the easy part, learning how to be well is much more complicated and it is here in this forum that the pieces started to fall into place.
I have much still to learn and am quite looking forward to.
Thanks again.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thank you Briped, oh yes, the guilt has well and truly gone, as has a brief bit of feeling ashamed and a reluctance to tell people.
I do need to stay here for the top up, common sense injection that this forum provides. I am very aware of how early this is in my journey and just because I am all Tiggerish right now doesn't mean I wont fall down the very first trap.
I felt so ill for so long and feel so good right now I just want to tell everybody about it.
I look so much forward to the day when people realise that the old low fat propaganda was nothing but exactly that - a big fat lie. When strangers will stop glancing at the contents of my shopping basket and think to themselves that it's no wonder I'm fat, because I still am, in spite of having lost 19 kgs.
This forum provides so much inspiration and motivation. I know I'd be lost without it, and likely to fall into several traps too :)

Reactions: Prem51 and HSSS

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Thank you for the kind mention, but I’m not sure I had anything to do with anything here? :pompous:

Glad to hear you’re on the path to good health anyway, though. Hip hip hooray! :D
@Jim Lahey Don't underestimate yourself!

M

Member496333

Ah but you did:shy:.
It was your thread looking at why people test that stopped me from slowly but steadily reintroducing carbs simply because I could and made me ask myself why I would want to do that.
Answer, I don't.
It is now obvious to me that that would not have suited me at all and I know what the consequences would have been. Your posts are hugely informative and raise interesting points for thought and I have valued them greatly. Losing weight is the easy part, learning how to be well is much more complicated and it is here in this forum that the pieces started to fall into place.
I have much still to learn and am quite looking forward to.
Thanks again.

Ah gotcha. I found that discussion very interesting :)

Reactions: Prem51 and jjraak

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

youre a star @Jim Lahey ...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Great that you have been able to see that the Eatwell Plate is nonsense and will harm you. You should find that you can forget calories ever existed and just focus on keeping the carbs down and having enough fat and protein to keep you feeling full. Your body should then manage itself and you can tweak the carbs up or down bit to get the right weight and BS.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a great post, @Muddikins

love the fact you have found a way to manage your own health so well.

and have to agree with all you say about the forum and people.

I wonder, how many could be saved the dramatic trauma of serious illness, and i include you heart attack in
there, if the HCP industry was not so besotted with the FATS, and more interested in the FACTS.

I feel better than I have felt in many years,
I have clearly been experiencing hyperinsulemia for a very long time
and that had compensated sufficiently well to keep my blood sugars down until recently.

It does make me wonder about the heart attack now though, I blamed myself for that too as
I was overweight, perhaps I know why now. .."

Just how many more like us,
those who got a bit fatter, like myself and you, and just put it down to "oh, well, i AM getting older"

How can it be possible, that so many could suffer, yet, by simple meds in some cases, no meds in others but ALL have improved their health, weight & futures by SIMPLY CHANGING their diets...
106.gif

If they just opened their eyes, how many MILLIONS could be saved from many life threatening and life changing conditions

Last edited:

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The low carb diet is a personal revelation.
It seemed extremely unlikely that all of the claims being made about it could be true, I mean, not hungry? Not having to count or worry about calories? Better energy levels? Etc. I allowed for some license in the reports but could see why it would be really good for my blood sugar and so worth a try as a maintenance diet..
Everything people said was true, and more.
I have a friend who gets a migraine if she drinks alcohol. It developed in her 20's and before that used to enjoy a drink but gave up and soon as she worked out the link. If someone offers her a drink she declines and, less so now than previously she would be questioned to find out why she didn't drink and then when she explained would get a 'poor you' sort of reply, lots of sympathy as she is clearly losing out, couldn't she just manage a small whatever? She finds that attitude hilarious, from her point of view all she is missing out on is the migraine and that is unremittingly good, she never looks longingly at bottles of wine because it wouldn't make any sense. Substitute carbs for alcohol and any diabetic complication you like for migraine and it sounds an awful lot like me.
I think my brain, the subconscious bit that normally fancies a sandwich, actually grocks this now. I would be prepared to put up with a bit of craving but I am not experiencing any.
The true cost of the high carb, low fat dietry lies must be astronomical in lives ruined and lost as well as financial.
Thanks for all your kind replies, I feel supported:smug: and understood. I offer the same to all in return.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The low carb diet is a personal revelation.
It seemed extremely unlikely that all of the claims being made about it could be true, I mean, not hungry? Not having to count or worry about calories? Better energy levels? Etc. I allowed for some license in the reports but could see why it would be really good for my blood sugar and so worth a try as a maintenance diet..
Everything people said was true, and more.
I have a friend who gets a migraine if she drinks alcohol. It developed in her 20's and before that used to enjoy a drink but gave up and soon as she worked out the link. If someone offers her a drink she declines and, less so now than previously she would be questioned to find out why she didn't drink and then when she explained would get a 'poor you' sort of reply, lots of sympathy as she is clearly losing out, couldn't she just manage a small whatever? She finds that attitude hilarious, from her point of view all she is missing out on is the migraine and that is unremittingly good, she never looks longingly at bottles of wine because it wouldn't make any sense. Substitute carbs for alcohol and any diabetic complication you like for migraine and it sounds an awful lot like me.
I think my brain, the subconscious bit that normally fancies a sandwich, actually grocks this now. I would be prepared to put up with a bit of craving but I am not experiencing any.
The true cost of the high carb, low fat dietry lies must be astronomical in lives ruined and lost as well as financial.
Thanks for all your kind replies, I feel supported:smug: and understood. I offer the same to all in return.
A really great post - that's exactly my experience on low carb/keto. I was so addicted to carbs it is almost miraculous that I can look at them now and just think ' yuk - I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole'. It really does help that I was in a really bad place with retinopathy and a very numb foot and there is absolutely no way I want to go back there.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I'm grokking all of this :D

Reactions: zauberflote