The epetition

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Absolutely! Plenty of food for thought here!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
borofergie said:
Squire Fulwood said:
However I think I will take the answers I already have and skulk off into the background before the mods accuse me of inciting a riot.

Don't do that. I was an interesting and thought provoking question. It's a pretty emotive subject. You didn't do anything to warrent skulking.

Don't worry, I won't skulk far. I merely thought that since it was going off topic and apparently highlighting other problems of which I was not aware then it might be time to stop before it becomes the wrong kind of argument.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could an email or private message not be sent out to every member of this forum to publicise that there is an e-petition to sign if they are in support of it? I didn't know about the e-petition until I viewed this thread, I'm sure there are others who are unaware of it's existence.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Squire Fulwood said:
Don't worry, I won't skulk far. I merely thought that since it was going off topic and apparently highlighting other problems of which I was not aware then it might be time to stop before it becomes the wrong kind of argument.

There's no such thing a the wrong kind of argument!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
SophiaW said:
Could an email or private message not be sent out to every member of this forum to publicise that there is an e-petition to sign if they are in support of it? I didn't know about the e-petition until I viewed this thread, I'm sure there are others who are unaware of it's existence.

That's a good idea. Why don't you PM Benedict and suggest it. I know that I've been successful in rousing long dormant members with a simple PM.

AnnaBanana

[/quote]Presumably the type 1's won't vote in support to punish us for being fatties.[/quote]

Calling yourselves 'fatties' won't help much! :p (Not all T2's are 'fat' anyway)

As a T1 I understand the value of having enough test strips etc to fully control your BG and understand the disease. I don't see the point in punishing people for being T2. Most people I have met have become a lot healthier and more concious of their lifestyle after T2 diagnosis. We have the NHS in the UK, if we treat holiday makers and illegal immigrants, why on earth should we take away an element of care from our own citizens?

Have signed the petition

Anna

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Presumably the type 1's won't vote in support to punish us for being fatties.[/quote]

Calling yourselves 'fatties' won't help much! :p (Not all T2's are 'fat' anyway)
[/quote]

I'm not, and I fundamentally believe that T2 diabetes and metabolic share a similar genetic cause. I was just explaining how a very small number of T1s view T2 diabetics. If you don't believe me, check out the comments on the DUK Facebook page.

Grazer

Like Borofergie, I also helped draft the e-petition.
I also got the Daisy post to ALL new members to be changed to include wording at the bottom to say "please sign the e-petition" - guess some people don't get that far!
I also write to lots of new members with advice, and implore them at the same time to get friends, family and work members to sign.
All of my family and friends have signed - both of them! :lol:
I've had notices put up on works notice boards, and have written to a number of meter companies like Bayer to ask them to promote the petition amongst their staff - it's in their interest!
So it's not through want of trying.

Unbeliever

borofergie said:
and some of us get our strips for free, and probably don't worry too much about those that have to pay for them...

I must say hat occurred to me too. I am enitled o strips on prescription and the amount has never been specified. I know that several Drs in my practice are against testing. I claim only the minimum anount to keep o ensure they know I am testing and buy strips myself every month as i test several times a day. Whenever I have the oppoortunity I push the value of tedsting but buy most of my own strips so I am not depriving anyone else.

All 2s who test or would like to have the means o do so should sign the peiion.
So should T1s. In some places there are restrictions on srips for them too.
Makes my blood run cold.
Ensuring T2s who use hem properly have a righ o strps will protect he righs of T1s also.
Anyone who agrees wih esting should sign the petition. If they don't they are being selfish.
Quibbling about the wording is irrelevan at his stage Being in a position ie having suffficient signatures to take it forward is what counts.
Even if it never reached the stage of being debated it migh provide some useful publicity.

SIGN IT PEOPLE! PLEASE It might be you and your strips next.

Grazer

Grazer said:
I also got the Daisy post to ALL new members to be changed to include wording at the bottom to say "please sign the e-petition" - guess some people don't get that far!
I also write to lots of new members with advice, and implore them at the same time to get friends, family and work members to sign.
I've had notices put up on works notice boards, and have written to a number of meter companies like Bayer to ask them to promote the petition amongst their staff - it's in their interest!

Sorry to quote myself, but just wanted to say that I get my strips free (good at bullying my doc! :thumbup: ) so I didn't do this out of self-interest. But as unbeliever says, you don't know when things might change, so if that's a reason why some aren't signing, sign now anyway!

desidiabulum

Grazer said:

Sorry Grazer -- must be really irritating to have people like me saying 'Why don't we....?' when you've actually done that and more already. Anyway, I've had this great idea for inventing a round object I'm going to call a 'wheel'. Why hasn't anyone thought of it before?

Grazer

desidiabulum said:
Anyway, I've had this great idea for inventing a round object I'm going to call a 'wheel'. Why hasn't anyone thought of it before?

That's a bizarre coincidence, because I was just working on a thing I'm calling an "Axle"

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
borofergie said:
LittleGreyCat said:
Getting a bit bitter and twisted, are we Squire?

The ePetition is voluntary and a matter of individual decision.
Pushing people and bad mouthing T1s isn't going to help.

That's not fair! Squire was simply responding to my point about T2 diabetics not being seen sympathetically by the entire community. It was my suggestion, if you object to it, then take it up with me. It's not an argument you'll win, mind.

The line I particularly didn't like was

[/quote]Presumably the type 1's won't vote in support to punish us for being fatties.[/quote]

This seems to me both trivial and disrespectul of the T1s - had there been an indication of intended humour it might have been different.

It was not in response to anything borofergie said.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anna banana wrote:

I don't see the point in punishing people for being T2. Most people I have met have become a lot healthier and more concious of their lifestyle after T2 diagnosis.

I have even heard one so-called friend say people who get type 2 deserve what they get for being so fat and lazy. (incidentally, she is fatter than me) So more education is needed. But these perceptions may be part of why the petition is not being signed.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to change the public perception of type 2 through media exposure first, and when it is view positively, then better treatment will follow.

Mod Edit (Pneu): I am sorry to suggest that the majority of type I's see type II's as a 'lesser' diabetic or or lesser importance is plain insulting to all of us that spend a lot of time working for the good of the whole community..

You dislike being stereotyped yourself.. don't stereotype the rest of us please.

Grazer

lucylocket61 said:
I have even heard one so-called friend say people who get type 2 deserve what they get for being so fat and lazy. (incidentally, she is fatter than me) So more education is needed. But these perceptions may be part of why the petition is not being signed.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to change the public perception of type 2 through media exposure first, and when it is view positively, then better treatment will follow.

+1 from me.
I wasn't even overweight, and certainly aren't now, but still see peoples reactions when they find out I'm diabetic. Even the friendly ones say "you must have lost lots of weight then"! Typical assumption you see.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
LittleGreyCat said:
The line I particularly didn't like was
Presumably the type 1's won't vote in support to punish us for being fatties.

This seems to me both trivial and disrespectul of the T1s - had there been an indication of intended humour it might have been different.

It was not in response to anything borofergie said.[/quote]

It was in response to this:
borofergie said:
You need also to remember that the popular media also paints T2 diabetics as "fatties that did it to themselves". Our cause is not always a popular one, even in the wider diabetic community, and we are often unfairly labelled as a drain on NHS resources.

I'm not T1 bashing. I don't think that intelligent educated T1s think that, but there are a minority of T1s who think that we are stealing resources from T1s and that our assumed obesity gives all diabetics a bad name. It doesn't happen much here, but it has happened recently.

It's not worth putting a smiley onto these comments, because it's not funny. I personally prefer not to use emoticons wherever possible, exactly because they're used to take the edge off otherwise offensive statements.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Grazer said:
lucylocket61 said:

+1 from me.
I wasn't even overweight, and certainly aren't now, but still see peoples reactions when they find out I'm diabetic. Even the friendly ones say "you must have lost lots of weight then"! Typical assumption you see.

+100 from me.

Most of the blame has to lie with the media, who perpetuate the myth that T2 diabetes is caused by obesity. (Although that's no excuse for T2 bashing from T1s).

Unbeliever

borofergie said:
Grazer said:
lucylocket61 said:

+1 from me.

+100 from me.

Most of the blame has to lie with the media, who perpetuate the myth that T2 diabetes is caused by obesity. (Although that's no excuse for T2 bashing from T1s).

The media who get their info from reliable sources such as DUK and the NHS.
I really do not understand what sort of idio really believes that there is one pot of money for dibetes and that if there were no T2s then all the money currently spent on them would instead be spent on T1s.

It could be argued that the "epidemic " of diabetes has drawn attention to the disease . Tis may well resent being streotyped as fat and lazy as do T2s. I have never been either and I am not alone. Even those unfortunates who have gained weight as a result of the disease may well have done so as a SYMPTOM.

It always used to be recognised and accepted that some gain weight as a result of a medical condition. T2s may well resent being labelled fat and lazy because of the risse in obesity . Tis should support them against these attacks on ther fellow diabetics. We have more in common with other diabetics of any ype han we do with non-diabetics.

If increased resources are put ino researh resulting in improved treatments for all and if more well qualified people are atracted into this field hen we all gain.. it is not T! versus T2. There are many types of diabetes.
From y own experience I have seen treatment of diabetic reinopathy improve at my local hospital. More consultants /surgeons , more and improved procedures , better conditions for patients - all resuting from the increased numbers of patients referred
since the introduction of yearly reinal screening. I spend a GREAT deal of ime there. Many patients are diabeic s. All tyoes.
Strangely enough very few are overeweigh or uncontrolled.

This artificial division between siabetics is absolue nonsense. At some stage as I think Borofergie {?}said i too am convinced they will be found to be far closer than some may believe.

ALL dibetics must support the cooncept of appropriate reatment and good conrol for all as applicable surely?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Squire Fulwood said:
Presumably the type 1's won't vote in support to punish us for being fatties.

Wrong!!!

I've always believed that test strips should be made available to all on the NHS for those who wish to use them, I wouldn't like to say how many active members there is on here but I'd say we are talking 100's rather than 1000's.

Defren

borofergie said:
and some of us get our strips for free, and probably don't worry too much about those that have to pay for them...

I get strips, but signed before I got them, but I would still sign. Some of who do get strips, still care and are outraged not all do. Your statement is very sweeping, and unfair Stephen!