The non-insulin dependent 4% club

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I find good bread more difficult than any other sort of carb. If someone told me I could have any sort of carb, as a treat, with no bad effects I would choose bread, no question :shock: This is why my 'treat' breakfast after my last bloods were taken was poached eggs on toast. :p

Part of your cravings will be "carb addiction" 'cos your body likes carbs; persevere and these feelings will go away, with time. If you are anything like me you will find that as you get good control your system will be able to tolerate the occasional slice of bread; not every day, though.

Be strong!

Viv 8)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
SouthernGeneral6512 said:
I'm finding low carbing very difficult I don't really feel hungry just now but could still eat most of a big crusty loaf :sick:

I'm not sure if you're trying to lose weight or not, but one of the problems with bread is that it is just so accessible for snacks.

You could try Burgen as a lower-spiking equivalent, but I found it easier not to eat any, than to be tempted by a newly opened loaf in the fridge.

I'm afraid that you're just going to have to get used to the idea that a healthy diabetic diet doesn't involve large quantities of bread. Sucks doesn't it?

Grazer

borofergie said:
You could try Burgen as a lower-spiking equivalent, but I found it easier not to eat any, than to be tempted by a newly opened loaf in the fridge.

That's why I keep a sliced loaf (burgen) in the freezer. Can just chip one or two slices off when you want them, and it takes about 10 seconds a slice in the microwave to defrost (but wrap in clingfilm or it goes dry)

timps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
cruelty in any form
This is one club I wish to join !! Brilliant results, hope that I will follow in your footsteps. carole

SouthernGeneral6512

viviennem said:
I find good bread more difficult than any other sort of carb. If someone told me I could have any sort of carb, as a treat, with no bad effects I would choose bread, no question :shock: This is why my 'treat' breakfast after my last bloods were taken was poached eggs on toast. :p

Part of your cravings will be "carb addiction" 'cos your body likes carbs; persevere and these feelings will go away, with time. If you are anything like me you will find that as you get good control your system will be able to tolerate the occasional slice of bread; not every day, though.

Be strong!

Viv 8)
I hope the cravings for good old bread eventually go away ... I'm taking Burgen soya & linseed bread in it's place just now hopefully that will be better for me :thumbup:

Defren

SouthernGeneral6512 said:
viviennem said:

Be strong!

Viv 8)
I hope the cravings for good old bread eventually go away ... I'm taking Burgen soya & linseed bread in it's place just now hopefully that will be better for me :thumbup:

The carb craving will go. I did crave bread and potato's when I first began to low carb. I don't ever think of them now.

I will admit, I was out most of the day today, and while out realised I was really hungry (I never ever eat breakfast) and I had skipped lunch (unintentionally). It was really bad as I couldn't find anything low carb enough for me just to quickly snack on until I got home and got dinner going. Or was it bad? Pre diagnosis I would have grabbed a sandwich or a pasta salad to keep me going, today I just waited. Ok, Yes, I was was hungry, but think of all the calories I avoided. When dinner was ready, boy was I ready for it, and it was delicious. Still couldn't eat all of it though (tiny tummy syndrome - post Newcastle diet). :lol:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Can I join pretty please?

Just got my latest result 31mmol or 4.98%. :D

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
xyzzy said:

The 4% club!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: Well done you!! That's great news indeed!! Have a large Gin and celebrate!! :clap:

Defren

xyzzy said:

Congratulations Steve, brilliant job. :clap: :clap: :clap:

My HbA1c is Wednesday, results a week later. I doubt I will be joining you this time (still a small chance) but you can bet your boots I will be there next time.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Defren said:
xyzzy said:

Congratulations Steve, brilliant job. :clap: :clap: :clap:

My HbA1c is Wednesday, results a week later. I doubt I will be joining you this time (still a small chance) but you can bet your boots I will be there next time.
I hope you do get to join the 4% club Jo! God knows you've worked so hard for it! :D

Defren

Paul1976 said:
I hope you do get to join the 4% club Jo! God knows you've worked so hard for it! :D

Bless your heart Paul - thank you!

I have put my average figures into the converter and I am in the 4% club - BUT it's my BG when I am not testing, if it's higher then I will miss out, lower and I'm fine. I'm just going to have to wait and see, and keep my fingers crossed.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Steve, bl**dy wonderful news!!

Anyone know where we can got one of them there large sofas? We are going to need one at this rate.

Lib

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Well done Steve ! :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

Viv 8)

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Well done xyzzy :thumbup:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks all, just scrapped it and am actually quite surprised as I thought my levels had been no better this time than last time so just goes to show. In the last month I've actually eased off the strict regime so far less testing, stopped my spreadsheet and tried to chill out a bit more. Still very strict with what I eat though.

I am quite pleased I've proved you can get a 4%'er (just!) on my 60g / day (75g ish if you include the milk for tea and coffee) regime however it has to be said of that only 12g is starchy (one slice of burgen a day) and the vast majority of the rest of the carbs are vegetables. I'm also pleased you can get this result and still enjoy an Indian takeaway or an occasional "normal" meal with the family and maybe a couple of good nights out a month. I do suspect the G&T's help though :lol:

Terminator 2

Re: The 4% Club

borofergie said:
Your blood lipid profile is perfect - inside the NICE guidelines on every single metric.

What are the NICE guideline metrics for a blood lipid profile Stephen?

Defren

Room for a little one? Another 4%er.

Played guess the numbers with the GP this morning, starting at 5.5 until eventually he told me I scraped the 4% club with a 4.9. I was so certain I had missed it, but I got in - just.

My other figures:

Plasma total cholesterol 3.4mmol/L
LDL 1 mmol/L
HDL 1.2 mmol/L
Trigs 2.6 mmol/L

Blood pressure 140/70mmHg

As expected I have been stripped of my strips apart from 50 a month (boo hiss). I have also had my Simvastatin 20mg changed to Atorvastatin 10mg as a compromise as I wanted off them. My Lansoprazole has been reduced to a maintenance dose of 15mg once a day from 30mg. I am still on Metformin 500mg twice a day.

I am now considered normal, my diabetes is in remission and as I lose weight, once I hit my goal BMI of 20 I will be seen by the practice as a non diabetic. While I don't agree with that as I think I will always be diabetic, today's results are brilliant. My weight loss is "staggering" and I have worked hard to get these results (it was nice to get a bit of praise).

I have to have a urine test for excess protein due to my diet, even though I eat more fat than protein, it's a "just to make sure" approach that I am happy to go along with. No problems with me removing grain, wheat and milk from my diet, as my figures speak for themselves.

All in all a very happy bunny. Next scheduled appointment HbA1c in three months - yipee!!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well you scraped it better than me! A stunning result which you deserve for all the time and effort you should be feeling very proud! :clap: :clap: :clap: