The non-insulin dependent 4% club

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So. Four years ago at 47, following a chance encounter with a study on hypertension, I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes. No symptoms but I wasn't altogether surprised. I was 19 stones, (5' 10") hypertensive, following a low-fat diet as recommended by 'them' and had two generations of T2 in my family.

I shall comment on my diet further as this is important.
I didn't often have breakfast, just couldn't face it. Instead I would have an early lunch which was nearly always a sandwich (love tuna and salmon) a packet of crisps, a bar of chocolate and a bit of fruit. I have been a single parent all of my childrens lives and I can cook so our evening meal was always done from scratch. This was nearly always things like meat and three veg, spag bol, macaroni cheese, lots of vegetables and fruit. I would always choose low-fat options, artisan, wholegrain bread. Cereals were never the sugary, chocolate ones, milk was always skimmed and I used to drain and cut the fat from meat. We love chicken and one of our favourite dishes was chicken breasts cooked in a sauce of mango chutney, garlic and ginger, served with lots of vegetables and new potatoes.
I am a carb addict. I didn't know that then but I do now. So sitting in front of the box at night, I'd make my way through the sort of food that is no good for any human. Crisps and chocolate, ice-cream, sweet biscuits, cheese and crackers or the families favourite treat, white toast with butter and marmite. Take-outs were rare as I simply couldn't afford them. I craved carbs and would even fish food out of the bin if there was nothing in the house. I have written about it here.

The first thing I did was Google diabetes and up came Diabetes.co.uk. The very first thread I came upon was a conversation between, amongst others, Fergus, a T1 and Fasteddie a recently diagnosed T2, just like me. Fergus was telling his story and I was listening. Everything he, and others were saying made perfect sense. I'm an HCP, I know all about carbs so that day, my new diet started. No more low or fat free options, rice, pasta or potatoes or the rubbish stuff. I ate Nimble bread at 9g per slice but only two slices a day. I loved nuts and seeds and made flax crackers to crunch on. This was easy! The weight was falling off, sometimes so quickly that my colleagues thought I was seriously ill. My HbA1c's were always in the low 5's.

From June to December that year, I normalised my BG's and lost 4 stones. Then it stalled, so I dropped the bread and reduced things like the low-carb baking and tightened up on the odd carby thing that kept creeping in because I am and will always be, addicted. My weight dropped further and by November last year I had lost almost 7 stones. Then it all went horribly wrong. My Dad died on the 28th. He was 88 and I had watched him rot away for 30 years with very badly controlled T2. He followed his HCP's advice TO THE LETTER all it did was to make his inevitable death very long and extremely painful. I had to hold it all together because I live on my own and support myself. Going back to work after a fortnight was a blessing but I ended up in self destruct mode. By New Years Eve I was over a stone heavier and had stopped testing.

On January 1st this year, I made myself a promise to crack this thing so for the first time, I dropped my intake of carbs to 30g or less a day and became a woman possessed. This is my diet now. Coffee with double cream and occasionally a knob of butter. Eggs, cheese, more butter. Home made pork scratchings using sheets of pork skin and fat from the butchers. Fatty cuts of meat, particularly Lamb, I love it. I try to find the fattiest mince so I can make lovely cheesy aubergine lasagne (no pasta of course). One of my favourite meals is antipasti. Bratwurst sausage and mayo, celery smothered in butter and pate and cheese crisps are a staple as are green vegetables, home-made soup (chicken and leek anyone) and salads. I don't eat anything that grows underground, apart from leeks nor do I eat fruit, tomatoes, onions, nuts or seeds. I go through at least a litre of cream a week. I choose fattier cuts of meat for casseroles and cauliflower rice is now a staple of many of my friends. Avocados, asparagus, beef dripping and coconut oil are in there too. I eat one meal a day with the occasional nibble of a bit of cheese or a slice of ham and I shall continue to do this until I have lost the last 18 pounds or so that will bring me down to the weight I deem to be normal for me. When that happens, I shall slowly re-introduce the things on that list, hopefully maintaining my weight and BG's. I no longer crave and the thought of potentially being hungry is simply not an issue.

Last week, I had my bloods done, and here are the results

Total Cholesterol 4.6
Triglycerides 0.76
HDL 1.5
LDL 2.8
All that gives me a ratio of 3.0 lower than the recommended NICE guidelines.
U&E's & LFT's normal

But best of all, with only an occasional metformin (I keep forgetting to take them), my HbA1c is
4.8%

I shall continue with my ULC, high fat diet because, quite simply, it works.

wiflib

Reactions: 2 people

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Re: The 4% Club

Congratulations! You are truly inspirational :thumbup:

Grazer

What a great result Wiflib! Don't think I'll ever have the dedication to get that low, although I'm happy where I am, but I applaud your result :clap:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Great result Wiflib :clap:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.

An inspiration, thanks wiflib :clap:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

These are brilliant results wiflib. Your blood lipid profile is perfect - inside the NICE guidelines on every single metric.

You have genuinely been an inspiration to me.

I think that we should be careful about extrapolating the benefits of LCHF from what is basically an n=1 study...

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.

Well done - that's excellent stuff.

But just one thing; coffee and butter? Blimey!

Best

Dillinger

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

...but then again, this is really an n=2 study.

Here are my results:

HbA1c=4.9%
Total = 3.6
HDL = 0.9
Trigs = 0.99
LDL = 2.2
Total/HDL = 3.6

My only observation is that the HDL could have been a bit higher - but with trigs below 1, and LDL @ 2.2, I don't think that is really any sort of red flag.

I was diagnosed with a HbA1c of 10.6% 15 months ago.
For the last 4 months I've been eating <20g of carbs a day, some days I don't eat any.
My diet consists of about 80% fat, the vast majority of which is saturated.
I've lost over 60lbs in weight.

Ancel Keys is an idiot, and his lipid hypothesis sucks.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Care to dance mate?
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

wiflib

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

borofergie said:
HbA1c=4.9%
Total = 3.6
HDL = 0.9
Trigs = 0.99
LDL = 2.2
Total/HDL = 3.6

There not too bad Stephen all things considered :thumbup:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Dillinger, butter in coffee is an Italian thing. Only they have a small cup of espresso and I have a big mug of weak coffee. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Oh yes, one of the other disgusting things I eat is sliced, cold chicken breast smothered in butter. Yum.

wiflib

Grazer

GREAT result pal! What an effort, but worth it. So we have the founder (I think?) members of the 4% club - and Wiflib is Captain! Just! Or did that metformin just steal the crown..........

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

wiflib said:
Dillinger, butter in coffee is an Italian thing. Only they have a small cup of espresso and I have a big mug of weak coffee. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Oh yes, one of the other disgusting things I eat is sliced, cold chicken breast smothered in butter. Yum.

wiflib

I tried the coffee. I nearly vomited.

I do eat cold burgers smothered in Philidephia cheese though...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

Libby
You did it!
well done!
I'm going to have to come visit you for more diet advice. I can keep my Bg down, but am really struggling with weight. I am not quite as tall as you, 5' 7",but a bit older 65. Still about 20Kg over wher I'd like to be. I have maintaned my former 25Kg loss for a couple of years, but haven't seemed to be able to shift any more.
I'm so full of admiration
Hana

SandrafromOZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
DIABETES, All forms of cancer, Jealousy, arrogance

Congratulations to you Libby!

An inspiration to me you are!! You were there at the beginning when I REALLY needed an ear to listen.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Defren

Libby and Stephen BRILLIANT results, well done. You both really are such inspirations.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What brilliant results. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

This has convinced me to take a leap of faith and truly embrace the LCHF diet. Intellectually I have understood what the HF element involved but after years of conditioning I found it impossible to do it. So thank you both for being on this forum. Thank you both for having the courage to keep up the HF. You are both inspirational. Time to swap a fair bit of my lean protein for fat laden goodies. :)

cuillie

Dislikes
Too numerous to mention

What an insirational story, also quite a poinant one. I marvell at your determination. well done for coming back to it all after such a difficult time.

I'm one week in and missing my bran flakes, rice crispies, etc. The difficult thing is learning to eat food I don't really like. But your story about your dad really bring it home.

Thank you, kate :thumbup:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I am going to reply to all your messages but for the meantime, could one of the mods change my title to 'The non-insulin dependent 4% club' please.

wiflib

WhitbyJet

WOW wiflib, what an encouraging story. CONGRATULATIOS AND WELL DONE :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: You have worked so hard for this and its such a good feeling when you finally see the results right there in front of you. Tell what was your doctors and DSN's response to those results??

Thanks for posting, its most encouraging to hear such stories, but deepest sympathy on the loss of your father.
All the best wiflib x x