The Randle Cycle.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't suppose we can have a summary, that video is an hour long so I'm not going to be watching it I'm afraid :)

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When eating, don’t mix fats with carbs, and vice versa.

Basically as the body switches from one energy source to another if you eat fats along with high carb content the body will burn the carbs for energy and store the fat.

So for example Steak and chips would be a bad choice as would say Pizza.

Last edited:

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't suppose we can have a summary, that video is an hour long so I'm not going to be watching it I'm afraid :)
Here's the 5 minute version.
......and the 18 minute version
. The full version is worth a watch though if you ever get the time. There are plenty more versions out there.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you posting for information, to ask if we believe this or for some other reason? I‘m a bit confused by what you are seeking by asking what are our views?

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you posting for information, to ask if we believe this or for some other reason? I‘m a bit confused by what you are seeking by asking what are our views?
It's a simple question about the Randle Cycle. Do you believe it or not? What is your take on it?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When eating, don’t mix fats with carbs, and vice versa.

Basically as the body switches from one energy source to another if you eat fats along with high carb content the body will burn the carbs for energy and store the fat.

So for example Steak and chips would be a bad choice as would say Pizza.

Why eat carbs?
Especially if you are carb intolerant?

Good fats are second to protein, in a healthy balanced dietary regime. So why would you leave fats out of a meal?

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
The Randle Cycle isn't new information. Here's is an "example" Doctor Ryan Attar's take on the Randle Cycle.

Diabetic Dr Ryan Attar N.D. discusses the function and relevance of the Randle Cycle, a part of our metabolic function we have known about since 1963, but has been largely ignored.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for the info,

After trawling through the first video.. (& now the third.)

I’m not hearing much from prof Kay how insulin plays a part as a key to the cells regarding this cycle.. Regardless on carbs or meats..
The guy in the video suggest an HbA1c test covers BG levels for the last “28 days?”

OK so the is some sort of “deadlock” in the cell stopping insulin doing its job?
Which sounds like an “insulin resistance” to me though Prof Kay suggests otherwise..

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Do you believe it or not? What is your take on it?
Couldn't watch even the short film, all of the large sciencey words just make my clockwork brain hurt.
Seems to me that eating high fat, high carb food contributing to obesity and T2 is pretty much a given.
Now if it could explain why some people can eat pizzas without getting fat and why a large proportion of obese people don't have T2, I might be persuaded to watch the rest of the film

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
The Randle Cycle isn't new information. Here's is an "example" Doctor Ryan Attar's take on the Randle Cycle.

Diabetic Dr Ryan Attar N.D. discusses the function and relevance of the Randle Cycle, a part of our metabolic function we have known about since 1963, but has been largely ignored.

You can check out what Dr Attar has to say about the myth of the healthy balanced diet and food pyramid at the 7:26 minute up to the 10:42 mark.

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers for the info,

After trawling through the first video.. (& now the third.)

I’m not hearing much from prof Kay how insulin plays a part as a key to the cells regarding this cycle.. Regardless on carbs or meats..
The guy in the video suggest an HbA1c test covers BG levels for the last “28 days?”

OK so the is some sort of “deadlock” in the cell stopping insulin doing its job?
Which sounds like an “insulin resistance” to me though Prof Kay suggests otherwise..
Have you done much research on the Randle Cycle? If you have. can you tell me what you think of it?

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
It's a little strange that the author believes that all the carbs that are in our body we get from food. But what about the glycogen produced by the liver? This is also a carbohydrate by the way. If it wasn't, we wouldn't need basal insulin, but the dose of basal insulin is large enough (I won't say for everyone, but for me it's more than the sum of the bolus for the whole day) that we can ignore it. As for fats, if everything were so simple, we would not need to do two injections of insulin for foods saturated with fats instead of one for foods saturated with carbs.

• Informative
Reactions: Krystyna23040

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn't watch even the short film, all of the large sciencey words just make my clockwork brain hurt.
Seems to me that eating high fat, high carb food contributing to obesity and T2 is pretty much a given.
Now if it could explain why some people can eat pizzas without getting fat and why a large proportion of obese people don't have T2, I might be persuaded to watch the rest of the film
It's all explained in the Randle Cycle video

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you done much research on the Randle Cycle? If you have. can you tell me what you think of it?
I feel what is covered in the topic on the videos doesn’t take into consideration the digestive process in the gut.. (fat & carb mixed meals.)

The “Randle cycle” itself possibly explains (in part.) certain metabolic issues in some people that triggers later in life causing elevated BGs regarding T2. There come a point in life for some metabolism wise where you can’t have yer cake & meat it..

With regards to Dr Attar. I wouldn’t disagree with his approach on low exogenous insulin numbers regarding his diet.

This part of his talk with the ADA message looks pretty much old school advice for T1s from the fixed dosage of porcine insulin to me. (Similar to how it was for me as a kid in the mid 1970s.) The “snacking” advice to avoid hypos. There is a more flexible approach on MDI or a pump these days.

The A1c graph? It uncertain if this is appertaining to all diabetic types or just T1 age groups…

E2856642-5C55-4ADE-B9EB-BEC1B77FF1F9.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Krystyna23040

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's a little strange that the author believes that all the carbs that are in our body we get from food. But what about the glycogen produced by the liver? This is also a carbohydrate by the way. If it wasn't, we wouldn't need basal insulin, but the dose of basal insulin is large enough (I won't say for everyone, but for me it's more than the sum of the bolus for the whole day) that we can ignore it. As for fats, if everything were so simple, we would not need to do two injections of insulin for foods saturated with fats instead of one for foods saturated with carbs.
The glycogen stored in the liver is derived from the glucose in the food you have eaten by the process of glycogenesis.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The glycogen stored in the liver is derived from the glucose in the food you have eaten by the process of glycogenesis.
that is, if I don't eat carbohydrates, I won't have glycogen?! Wow, that's interesting information. And why does bg rise if you don't eat anything and don't do insulin? Where does glucose in the blood come from? Sometimes I can not eat anything at all for several days, but I still need basal, and the dose does not decrease

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
that is, if I don't eat carbohydrates, I won't have glycogen?! Wow, that's interesting information. And why does bg rise if you don't eat anything and don't do insulin? Where does glucose in the blood come from? Sometimes I can not eat anything at all for several days, but I still need basal, and the dose does not decrease
****, I wonder insanely why the dose of basal does not fluctuate from diet, as well as the dose of bolus. In theory, if it depends on the food, then we should see fluctuations in both bahal and bolus, but the dose of basal is surprisingly stable, it does not change at all whether I eat a lot of carbohydrates during all holidays or eat practically nothing. Hmm, God, how interesting it is! I want an endocrinologist education!

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel what is covered in the topic on the videos doesn’t take into consideration the digestive process in the gut.. (fat & carb mixed meals.)

The “Randle cycle” itself possibly explains (in part.) certain metabolic issues in some people that triggers later in life causing elevated BGs regarding T2. There come a point in life for some metabolism wise where you can’t have yer cake & meat it..

With regards to Dr Attar. I wouldn’t disagree with his approach on low exogenous insulin numbers regarding his diet.

This part of his talk with the ADA message looks pretty much old school advice for T1s from the fixed dosage of porcine insulin to me. (Similar to how it was for me as a kid in the mid 1970s.) The “snacking” advice to avoid hypos. There is a more flexible approach on MDI or a pump these days.

The A1c graph? It uncertain if this is appertaining to all diabetic types or just T1 age groups…

View attachment 57874

The only foods I eat are animal proteins and animal fats. "No carbs whatsoever. If you don't eat anything, you'll feed and get your energy from your own muscle and body fat by the "gluconeogenesis pathway", it's a process that transforms non carbohydrates. Carbs are not essential, we do not need to ingest any plants, grains, fruits, seeds, sugar, honey or any other form of carbs.

• Agree
Reactions: Goonergal

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Except of course, the glucose produced by the liver from proteins in gluconeogenesis.

Reactions: Billy Barroo