Think I might have diabetes

VCMicheal1

Hey guys, new to this site. I'm 22 years old. Before I start off I wanted to say my dad has diabetes, but nothing severe, I don't think he takes insulin for it. To add, I'm 6'1", 185 pounds so I'm tall, thin and skinny. But anyways I've gotten a basic blood work a few months ago and only they told me was I had low vitamin d levels, but I'm not sure if I have to specify for them to do certain check up for blood sugar levels.

I'll try and make this quick, but my symptoms consist of constant fatigue, feeling lethargic 24/7 like I feel disassociated in a dream like state. I have to admit I have pretty bad anxiety but when I'm not having any anxiety I still feel this way, I always wondered why my energy levels are always so low. Constantly feeling weak, disoriented, and I'll feel so unbalanced. I always crave fast food, sweets. I'm always hungry and thirty, not sure if it's due to me having a fast metabolism. I have a horrible diet. Not all the time but some nights I'll run to the bathroom to pee a lot, this hasn't happened recently if I remember correctly. Also sometimes when I'm tired my vision becomes blurred.

Yesterday I didn't eat that much and sometimes when I'm at work and I don't eat I'll become so irritable, shaky, I cannot concentrate for my life of me until I eat a Reece's chocolate bar and then I'll slowly feel those symptoms fade away. I'm not sure if that's a sign of diabetes, but it's a strange feeling. I could be over analyzing it.

Are these symptoms enough for me to go for a check up or am I over analyzing it. My friend at work was diagnosed a few months ago and he's 23. It made me really think about how I feel all the time and could be the reason why I constantly feel so lethargic and out of it.

Thanks

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it sounds more like you are anemic and maybe have a lack of iron and thereby weak red bloodcells in your body, one can feel very tired when being in a lack of some vitamins.. I think you should try to eat more healthy foods and take 1 multi-vitamin pill every day for a period, and then maybe only allow yourself fastfood only once a week or even rarer...

but do go to a doctor and get your blood tested also for nutrition imbalances...

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you also must make sure that you do get enough protein ever day this is very important to be healthy...

like 0.8 gram pro kg bodyweight so if you weigh 55 kg you should have around 45 grams of proteins every day ... 1 egg is around 7 grams... meat and cheese and fish contains very much protein... if one gets too little protein the body is worn out as it doesn´t have the building blocks to repair and do maintenance

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lack of vitamin D can also make one feel extreemly tired and weak and even depressed

VCMicheal1

it sounds more like you are anemic and maybe have a lack of iron and thereby weak red bloodcells in your body, one can feel very tired when being in a lack of some vitamins.. I think you should try to eat more helathy foods and take 1 multi-vitamin pill every day for a period, and then maybe only allow yourself fastfood only once a week or even rarer...

but do go to a doctor and get your blood tested also for nutrition imbalances...
Well I think my iron levels were average, or fine. I took a **** load of vitamins a few months ago for 2-3 months every day and I still felt fatigued, irritable and severely fatigued no matter how much sleep I get.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
do you get any exercise like move some everyday the body is ment to be used... and is your vitamin D levels up to a normal level again ?

VCMicheal1

do you get any exercise like move some everyday the body is ment to be used... and is your vitamin D levels up to a normal level again ?
I exercise 5 days a week, and nothing changes, especally during workouts I'll feel so weak and fatigued. And I'm not sure I haven't had a check up, but I doubt low vitamin c levels would be the cause of all of these symptoms, unless it could? I dont know. Thanks for the quick responses

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I exercise 5 days a week, and nothing changes, especally during workouts I'll feel so weak and fatigued. And I'm not sure I haven't had a check up, but I doubt low vitamin c levels would be the cause of all of these symptoms, unless it could? I dont know. Thanks for the quick responses

if you eat in a healthy way and do get the nutrients you need every day then there must be something differently wrong.. it can be connected to anxiety this feeling unreal
it is very wellknown that if people do eat very much protein in their breakfast they tend to eat less the rest of the day
by the way vitamins is best to take in a low normal level all year around if ones health and levels are not optimal. not eat lots of vitamins for a short time... the body must also addapt to uptaking the vitamins and just taking it in mega dosis for a few weeks doesn´t do much good..

something is wrong for you I think you need to talk to a doctor about your whole picture ..you should not be feeling like this being a young person and also doing a lot to be fit. try to eat nuts instead of all this candy/choclate... nuts and a few raisins and remember to take vitamin D every day most people are not outside in 1-2 hours everyday anylonger like when most people lived in the countryside working hard outside , and then we need to have our vitamin D´s from our food ... do you eat fat fish 2-3 times a week ? if not then you probably need to eat vitamin D all year around

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fatigue can be a symptom of many things @VCMicheal1 No one here is a medical professional so if you're conerned you may have diabetes or some other condition you should see a doctor.

As suggested, both anaemia and vitamin deficiency can cause fatigue - as can many other conditions.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I didn't eat that much and sometimes when I'm at work and I don't eat I'll become so irritable, shaky, I cannot concentrate for my life of me until I eat a Reece's chocolate bar and then I'll slowly feel those symptoms fade away. I'm not sure if that's a sign of diabetes, but it's a strange feeling. I could be over analyzing it.

I don't think you are over analyzing at all. Do have a look at Reactive hypoglycemia thread. You may find that many of the symptoms and experiences matches yours. An extended 4-5 hr Oral glucose Tolerance Test would give you some clarity...

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think you are over analyzing at all. Do have a look at Reactive hypoglycemia thread. You may find that many of the symptoms and experiences matches yours. An extended 4-5 hr Oral glucose Tolerance Test would give you some clarity...

you are right about pointing at that, it also seem many later diabetic start up by having very unstable blood glucose earlier in life ...

VCMicheal1

Thanks! I'm certainly going for a check up Monday to check for results.

Reactions: Freema

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lots of people feel weak and shaky if they don't eat. That doesn't mean they have RH.

Please can members be careful about implying diagnoses when the OP simply needs to visit a doctor. Please also bear in mind the OP has reported low Vit D that may be related to the fatigue.

@VCMicheal1 Youve mentioned anxiety. The only way to put your mind at rest is to speak to your doctor both about your concerns about diabetes and your symptoms.

VCMicheal1

if you eat in a healthy way and do get the nutrients you need every day then there must be something differently wrong.. it can be connected to anxiety this feeling unreal
it is very wellknown that if people do eat very much protein in their breakfast they tend to eat less the rest of the day
by the way vitamins is best to take in a low normal level all year around if ones health and levels are not optimal. not eat lots of vitamins for a short time... the body must also addapt to uptaking the vitamins and just taking it in mega dosis for a few weeks doesn´t do much good..

something is wrong for you I think you need to talk to a doctor about your whole picture ..you should not be feeling like this being a young person and also doing a lot to be fit. try to eat nuts instead of all this candy/choclate... nuts and a few raisins and remember to take vitamin D every day most people are not outside in 1-2 hours everyday anylonger like when most people lived in the countryside working hard outside , and then we need to have our vitamin D´s from our food ... do you eat fat fish 2-3 times a week ? if not then you probably need to eat vitamin D all year around
I rarely eat home, and my mom cooks every day. Which means I'm eat junk food constantly instead of healthy meals my mom cooks

VCMicheal1

Lots of people feel weak and shaky if they don't eat. That doesn't mean they have RH.

Please can members be careful about implying diagnoses when the OP simply needs to visit a doctor. Please also bear in mind the OP has reported low Vit D that may be related to the fatigue.

@VCMicheal1 Youve mentioned anxiety. The only way to put your mind at rest is to speak to your doctor both about your concerns about diabetes and your symptoms.
Its just more of the fact that once I eat chocolate or something sugary everything clears up rather than drinking coffee or eating other food. It's always chocolate that makes me feel balanced. Which is odd? lol i dont know

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its just more of the fact that once I eat chocolate or something sugary everything clears up rather than drinking coffee or eating other food. It's always chocolate that makes me feel balanced. Which is odd? lol i dont know

Hey, chocolate always makes me feel better too ;)

In fact, chocolate is usually low GI so gives a slow sugar hit compared to some foods.

To give you an idea of diabetes, I was diagnosed at a younger age than you. My symptoms were a sudden and large loss of weight, very very frequent urination, exhaustion and a thirst like you can't imagine.

Wait until you see your doctor and get some info. I suggest you forget it for now and enjoy your weekend :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well if you know you eat bad food then start changing that at least... seem stupid not to when one already knows ones choices are wrong and you have a mother actually serving real good food... that is the responsibillity we all have ourself and the choice is much easier when we can just sit down by a table and eat the fine food our mother do cook for us.. cant you change that at least and see what change that does to your wellbeing

Last edited:

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @VCMicheal1 As has been mentioned only a doctor will be able to tell you if you have diabetes or not, If I were you i'd make an appointment as soon as you can an tell him/her everything you have mentioned here, you've said they did some blood work a few months ago so you can ask them more about what they found and they may want to do some further tests.

Also by seeing the Doc it will put your mind at rest and stop you speculating and worrying yourself about possible causes and conditions you may have, I think you''ll feel a whole lot better about yourself once you've seen someone and started the process of finding out. And don't be put off by any receptionist asking you what the problem is when you make an appointment, just tell them you think you are suffering anxiety as you have mentioned.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Actually I disagree. We are not designed to be weak and shaky when we don't eat. The body is design to regulate itself and release the necessary glucose when needed. That is why we are able to fast for days without food.

The fact that the OP regularly experience shakiness is an indication that there is an issue. It could be mild, a slight change is diet, having less refined carbs would resolve it.

But it is precisely because we dismissed all these symptoms as normal that RH is seldom diagnosed. In fact I have not heard of such a condition for over 40 years until I stumbled upon this forum and made the mental connection...for years it seems normal to just eat something and you will be ok without realizing that such hunger is unusual and unnatural...

Since going on LCHF and fasting, I have a better appreciation of what hunger is.