1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Thinking of leaving the forum

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Cumberland, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gennepher

gennepher Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hugs for you @Cumberland

Don't let a troll/trolls ruin your experience on here. I don't know what has gone on. I've had trolls on a completely different site and it was a horrible experience.

I can understand you wanting to leave. Whatever your experience was has altered your perception and feelings of this site. And that is a hard thing to regain. I get that. But no one ever drives me off something.

We would miss you.

Take care.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Morning Cumbs, we go back a long way on the forum, so I have an idea of what is happening. It's like an annoying spot, it is there, you can't pick at it because it may spread and get worse. Best thing is to ignore it and let it gradually dry out of your thoughts and move on.
    The actions of other's can be very hurtful to another, but, it will be you, as the bigger person who can see past that and walk away.
    Don't let a bad apple spoil your life on the forum, they are not worth it, you have many friends on here who are supportive. Or write all the things down on paper that you really, really want to say to this person, then tear it up and flush it down the loo.
    If you need to chat, you can always pm me
    Take care x

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    #22 Robinredbreast, Nov 11, 2019 at 7:13 AM
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  3. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sad, sad, Sad! Whatever you decide you will certainly be missed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. HarryBeau

HarryBeau Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Cumberland as @PenguinMum says I limit myself on the forum just to 'our' thread...try to keep posting there we have a small group that is growing all the time...it's a friendly/supportive space we have the odd discussion of course which is mostly productive...sod em' I say don't leave or let them drive you away.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I don't really know you, being a T2 myself, but.... Just wanted to send over a hug, should you still read it. *HUG*.

For me, people are really hard to deal with, so I have taken breaks from the forum here and there, just always gravitated back. Do whatever you need to do to put yourself first eh. Hope all's going to be okay in real life, and online.

Be good to you!
    Jo

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

And 'our thread' too @Cumberland :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Won't be the same without you. so please don't go.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

It saddens me deeply to read that a person whose posts and journey are so often inspirational has been placed in this position. Saddens, but exemplifies C21st UK for me. We seem to be forced to choose between ignoring poisonous language and underlying beliefs, keeping the peace or making a stand. Hopefully, I will always choose people like yourself and be able to continue to benefit from reading your posts. “Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

@Cumberland - If another member is making your life a misery by their acts and statements that breach our rules and ethos, then you should be reporting these things. If this other person is just one of those folks you're never going to be able to gel with (and we all have one or two in our lives), then only you can decide how to handle that.

It would be a shame if you left, but as I have stated before, nobody is a prisoner here.

Sometimes stepping away for a few days or weeks works wonders.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Sorry mate just seen your thread!
    I'm one of those like you who, are the main contributors to our footie thread.

I had to cut back my time spent on the forum because of my work life and looking after the wife and family, I have spent enough hours on here, and would probably be near your posting total, if I hadn't cut back!

The main reason, I post is to try and help those who have discovered that the usual treatment for diabetic related conditions does not work for most of us. You yourself have done enough on this forum to retire from it with no explanation necessary, you are an exceptional knowledgeable poster.
    And like @zand, would miss you on the footie thread.

If you need to take a break, do it!
    Then when you have had a holiday from the forum, come back and see what is going on, decide then.
    Whatever you decide, I wish you my best wishes, and maybe we can chat about our love for football and all the pain we go through watching our rubbish teams!

C'mon the cumbrians!

Forest Green away in the cup mate, @zand might get some freebies for you! (Ha!)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. marzak

marzak · Member

I don't bother much because I find people like to counter speak against everything that has worked for me. I only came on today because I filled the survey that came by email. I was diagnosed type 2 in April 2019 and they don't have 2019 in the drop down menu and it makes me cross - irrationally of course!!! but got it off my chest now (much reduced chest I should add) There have been a few funny threads too but mostly I do my own thing which works. Not sure who has got to you but there are definitely awkward folk out there/in here who definitely like to argue. If you decide to leave you can always come back with a new name and invent a new personality, wouldn't that be fun :) :) ;-)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@marzak changing one’s username is allowed, however please note forum rule c5: ‘One account per user is permitted. Multiple accounts from the same Member will be closed’.

• Informative Informative x 4
  13. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I hope @DCUKMod or @Goonergal or someone can e-mail these to @Cumberland in case he isn't reading them here so he will know how sad we would be if he left. We would miss you, Cumbs! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DCUKMod

Saskia, it is not our policy to email members about their activity.

Every member has the facility to decide how much contact they wish to have from the site, including alerts, with or without emails, when replies are received to threads they watch or start (and other options too).

Members can adjust settings by going to their account, and choosing from the areas highlighted below:

upload_2019-11-12_8-50-10.png

We respect members' privacy and preference settings.

@Cumberland last logged onto the forum at just after 8pm last night, so it is likely he has seen most of these posts.

upload_2019-11-12_8-44-50.png

You can see this yourself, by looking at his (or any other member's) Profile page.

I hope that helps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

Can I just ask who has reduced my post total my likes total on notable members section

I had the highest number of posts in this site and now I’m down to 14,430

I had over 80,000 posts was at first position on notable members

I said I was thinking of leaving

But I haven’t left yet

So who is tampering with the numbers

Any of you mods explain please

Mad as **** here

And if the word **** offends anyone I simply don’t care

Edited by moderator for language

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  16. Cumberland

Thanks to everyone for your support

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Hug Hug x 1
  17. alf_Josiah

alf_Josiah Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If someone is playing games with the statistics, IF. Yes I said if
    Then nobody in a position of authority ie the moderators can be trusted and should be treated as such.

Shame.

Perhaps an explanation, an honest no holds barred explanation is required.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. DCUKMod

@Cumberland - Having looked at your account, I cannot see that anyone has made changes to your account. In any case, it simply could not have been a Mod, because they do not have permissions to view, never mind execute changes in that part of your account. Only those with Administrator permission can view there. For the avoidance of doubt. I have some Admin permissions, but I can assure you I have not altered your, or anyone else's post counts. I can't think of any reason why anyone would.

Going from your opening post in this thread, you estimated a historic post count of 20+ per day, but much less in recent times. For 80,000 posts over the term of your membership (since June 2015) I calculate that to be 365 (days) x 4.5 (years) = 1642.5 days membership.

80,000 posts in that time averages out at 48.7 posts every day (80,000/1642.5 = 48.7). That seems very adrift on your own estimations. Based on the post count you contest, that still makes an average of 8.73 posts every single day.

#38 DCUKMod, Nov 12, 2019 at 10:51 PM
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  19. Cumberland

I know I had over 80,000 posts

Are you calling me a liar

And what is wrong with the word

Why edit that word

Edited by moderator for language and to remove personal attack

• Hug Hug x 1
    #39 Cumberland, Nov 12, 2019 at 10:58 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2019
  20. DCUKMod

Of course I'm not calling you a liar. I am merely replaying what I can see in your account - that nobody carried out any changes.

If you would like to raise a complaint, as per the Forum Rule, D2, please email [email protected] where it will be addressed.

Quoted text edited by moderator in line with previously edited post

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #40 DCUKMod, Nov 12, 2019 at 11:06 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook