This is crazy, bg in the high 20's after sleep

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked them and they don't seem to be too bothered about it. They just eat and drink what they like.

@akindrat18 , it is possible to adhere to a normal shift pattern & be your own man.. (in fact it can work in one's favour.)
It just takes a little "sussing out" & making the routine work in your personal favour. The planning during work hours becomes second nature.

Focus on your own journey.. :)

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The NHS advice to eat "normally" is very wrong mate.

The advice is outdated.

The correct advice for diabetics is to eat low-carb, high fat to achieve normal blood glucose levels, go on remission and to avoid complications later on in life.

I know it's outdated, but I've tried low carb multiple times before. I can't go less than 150 grams a day.

@akindrat18 , it is possible to adhere to a normal shift pattern & be your own man.. (in fact it can work in one's favour.)
It just takes a little "sussing out" & making the routine work in your personal favour. The planning during work hours becomes second nature.

Focus on your own journey.. :)

It's not possible as I'm on a zero hour contract. Some days I could be working in the day and some at night, plus with my parents pushing me to try and get as many hours as possible, it's hard to get a normal shift pattern.

Update on my blood sugar levels. They are 16.8 after having two cheese oatcakes, bacon, fried mushrooms and tomatoes. Plus I turned down a chocolate bar offer after my mum did some shopping (mainly junk and hgih carb foods) :(

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Increase your healthy fats intake mate so that you don't have to eat too much carbs

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Increase your healthy fats intake mate so that you don't have to eat too much carbs
With the utmost respect for your personal achievements. (I'm all for healthy fat.) Increasing fats can slow digestion & contradict the "working profile" of the bolus dosage... But let's not debase this topic with further personal discussion. ;)

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, woke up feeling fine. Then I checked my blood sugar which was 21.0, washed my hands and retested with a result of 22.6. I just can't win.

Had a nice cup of black coffee from my mum's dolce gusto machine and a bowl of chocolate hoops.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, woke up feeling fine. Then I checked my blood sugar which was 21.0, washed my hands and retested with a result of 22.6. I just can't win.

Had a nice cup of black coffee from my mum's dolce gusto machine and a bowl of chocolate hoops.

The chocolate hoops, cereals, KFC, wraps are all bad for you.

How about fried eggs and bacon for breakfast?
Or a bowl of raspberries with single cream or full fat yogurt?
Or salami, cheese and avocado?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried it and it doesn't work for me.

I believed that it worked for you back then...unfortunately you couldn't really find any social/medical support for it.

Perhaps some day when low carbs becomes more mainstream, you would find the support you need to regain control.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it quite disgraceful that these food chains prevent their staff from choosing a healthy option at work. The salad box might retail over £4 but it wont cost the company that much and should be available as a choice. Years ago my son worked for Pizza Express and it was the same, they were only allowed pizza. He used to take his own food in the end and has never liked pizza since. I am surprised that the restriction of staff meals at these outlets dont get more exposure.

Reactions: briped

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I have none of them in, except for the avocado which isn't ripe yet. Finished off the bacon last night and the bowl of cereal was only 20 grams of carbs.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Can you please be more careful with this kind of advice? You have already been told once in this thread that the OP is insulin dependent and @akindrat18 has already said that they are on fixed doses. It's not too much of a leap to assume that a HCP has set these doses based on assuming a certain amount of carbs with each meal of the day. Removing the carbs without consulting the person who set the doses could end up causing hypos.

If akindrat18 is able to change from fixed doses to adjusting with support from their relevant HCP then they may be able to take advice which vastly changes the nutrient makeup of their food.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you please be more careful with this kind of advice? You have already been told once in this thread that the OP is insulin dependent and @akindrat18 has already said that they are on fixed doses. It's not too much of a leap to assume that a HCP has set these doses based on assuming a certain amount of carbs with each meal of the day. Removing the carbs without consulting the person who set the doses could end up causing hypos.

If akindrat18 is able to change from fixed doses to adjusting with support from their relevant HCP then they may be able to take advice which vastly changes the nutrient makeup of their food.

Yes you’re absolutely correct!
Apologies.

I keep thinking the OP is Type 2 but I realised he’s insulin dependent.

Reactions: lovinglife

HR-Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know it's outdated, but I've tried low carb multiple times before. I can't go less than 150 grams a day.

It's not possible as I'm on a zero hour contract. Some days I could be working in the day and some at night, plus with my parents pushing me to try and get as many hours as possible, it's hard to get a normal shift pattern.

Update on my blood sugar levels. They are 16.8 after having two cheese oatcakes, bacon, fried mushrooms and tomatoes. Plus I turned down a chocolate bar offer after my mum did some shopping (mainly junk and hgih carb foods) :(

In every single posting that you shared involved eating some form of a poor quality carb. You will need to pull your big boy pants up and do some research on what you should be eating. I understand that you are working crazy hours, you have non-supporting peers and lack the general knowledge of your condition. You are in the era of having knowledge at your finger tips, you will need to search out the information needed and work it to fit the situation you are in. Drop the I "can't" language, your life is at stake here, you have gain ownership of this condition and do what is best for you and your body. NOBODY will ever care for you more than you care for yourself.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have none of them in, except for the avocado which isn't ripe yet. Finished off the bacon last night and the bowl of cereal was only 20 grams of carbs.

Cereal is extremely difficult to eat, especially in the morning when you are more insulin resistant and your liver is releasing glucose at an enormous rate (the "dawn phenomenon"). Also, it looks like you eat foods that are not only high carb but high in fat and protein as well. These are the toughest to dose for because they will drive you high right after eating them, and keep you high for hours after. They usually require multiple doses of insulin and normal carb counting with one dose before eating won't work. Plus you are probably experiencing dawn phenomenon in the middle of the night which, combined with high fat/protein meals that are digesting all night long, is all causing you to wake up sky high.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I had my kfc at 8:30pm and tested before I went bed at 11pm, with a blood sugar of 6.8.

Yes a trial has been suggested and she thinks it will be a good idea for me to have one. I know that the wraps are carby, I still eat carbs as I can't cut them out completely, I still have breakfast cereals or a toasted bacon and cheese bagel thin for breakfast.

I just bought two avocado's and going to have one with a few bacon rashers for lunch as I love them.
Sounds like your combination of sugar in bbq sauce and flour in wrap and batter/breadcrumbed chicken has given you the pizza effect.
8.30pm eat can give a 6 after meal if you have slow digestion too.
So incorrect insulin for IR, pizza effect from food and a Somogyi rebound at the same time as digestion of carbs =very high bg.