This is crazy, bg in the high 20's after sleep

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Kfc bbQ welcomes in at 32g carbs according to my fitness pal. You had 2 so 64g - was the amount injected correct for that?

I don't know, I am on Novorapid 34/32/32 units and Tresiba 40 units, Victoza 1.8mg and I'm suppose to be on Metformin but it's causing me some intestinal problems.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
So you don't usually adjust your dose to fit what you are eating? You just take fixed doses?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about adopting a low-carb, high fat diet?

Eating above ground vegetables?

Avoid processed foods i.e. KFC, sweet fruit juices and fizzy drinks, as well as high carbohydrate, high glycemic foods i.e. cereals, potatoes, bread, flour, rice, pasta, noodles etc.

Try these instead -
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
He is on insulin so not so simple

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He is on insulin so not so simple

I was on insulin too but completely came off it when I adopted my own variation of LCHF diet.

We are all different.

I’m now a moderate carber with brown rice, brown sphagetti, brown bread and they don’t spike me.

Reactions: porl69

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So you don't usually adjust your dose to fit what you are eating? You just take fixed doses?

Fixed doses. It use to be at a higher dosage when I was 25 stone, I'm now just under 17 stone after cutting down on everything.

I was on insulin too but completely came off it when I adopted my own variation of LCHF diet.

We are all different.

I’m now a moderate carber with brown rice, brown sphagetti, brown bread and they don’t spike me.

I do my own version of lchf, but I'm still a sucker for sweet foods.

Reactions: novorapidboi26

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fixed doses. It use to be at a higher dosage when I was 25 stone, I'm now just under 17 stone after cutting down on everything.

Avoid sweet foods mate. They are very dangerous for diabetics like us!

There are alternatives and plenty of healthy recipes on YouTube for “keto” desserts, cakes etc.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Avoid sweet foods mate. They are very dangerous for diabetics like us!

There are alternatives and plenty of healthy recipes on YouTube for “keto” desserts, cakes etc.

I know there are alternatives, it's just having the will not to go into the treats cupboard.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know there are alternatives, it's just having the will not to go into the treats cupboard.

Be strong willed mate. You don’t want to end up blind, with chronic kidney disease, limbs amputated etc. or suffer the consequences of diabetic complications later on in life!

Choose high fat, low carb snacks like -

Cheese, walnuts, pecan nuts, Brazil nuts, boiled eggs, salamis, ham, smoked salmon, homemade chicken or beef burger, cut fresh vegetables like cucumbers, celery, lettuce, carrots, red peppers; have a small hard apple or pear or plum or raspberries.

Bread:

Get LivLife Bread (low carb) available from Waitrose / Ocado.com

Chocolates:

Montezuma 100% dark chocolates
Cavalier chocolates (sweetened with Stevia)
also available from Waitrose / Ocado.com

Test, test, test your blood glucose levels before and 2 hours later!

Last edited:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

There's your answer, sweet foods. Really need to try and get away from them, super hard to do BUT so many ways around it. As @NewTD2 has advised. Good luck

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Also maybe ask your nurse about carb counting and adjusting doses to help you avoid the highs.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You need to be able to carb count and adjust your doses, am I correct that there was a mango too?

You have done well to lose the weight so far. Well done.

Will you talk to your nurse and find out about carb counting and adjusting your doses.

When levels are out and high are you correcting them? Are you ok with calculating correction doses?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @akindrat18 ,

Good to see you back matey!
Sorry you're currently having blood management issues..

Your prescription. (low on test strip issue.) It should be on repeat due to the nature of your condition. with your last lot of meds picked up from the chemist, you should have a repeat prescription request form for next time? Just tick what you require on the form & hand it in to the surgery reception... (Sometimes there is a drop box for these forms, either on the reception desk or outside the surgery by the door for out of hours?)
Don't forget to choose the chemist you wish to pick up from! Then wait 2 days for the request to process & pick up...

How long have you omitted taking the Metformin? You will need an appointment with your HCPs regarding the stomach problems you are getting on the Metformin. This drug helps with lowering insulin resistance & liver dump.
Have a chat with your doctor.

Your "salad box" meal. If that was working for you? Is there anyway you could supplement the "£4" limit on the staff meal?
(I have no idea of the menu pricing at KFC.)

With regards to your Meter at work. (& reference to previous losses thereof.) You could carry the meter about your person? disability employment laws in the work place, "reasonable adjustment" & all that... ;)

Regards.

J>

Reactions: Diakat

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to be able to carb count and adjust your doses, am I correct that there was a mango too?

You have done well to lose the weight so far. Well done.

Will you talk to your nurse and find out about carb counting and adjusting your doses.

When levels are out and high are you correcting them? Are you ok with calculating correction doses?

It was a diet coke exote mango flavour. I don't like eating mangoes, but I love the flavour. I don't do correction doses, but my doses change every time I phone up the nurse.

Hi @akindrat18 ,

Good to see you back matey!
Sorry you're currently having blood management issues..

Your prescription. (low on test strip issue.) It should be on repeat due to the nature of your condition. with your last lot of meds picked up from the chemist, you should have a repeat prescription request form for next time? Just tick what you require on the form & hand it in to the surgery reception... (Sometimes there is a drop box for these forms, either on the reception desk or outside the surgery by the door for out of hours?)
Don't forget to choose the chemist you wish to pick up from! Then wait 2 days for the request to process & pick up...

How long have you omitted taking the Metformin? You will need an appointment with your HCPs regarding the stomach problems you are getting on the Metformin. This drug helps with lowering insulin resistance & liver dump.
Have a chat with your doctor.

Your "salad box" meal. If that was working for you? Is there anyway you could supplement the "£4" limit on the staff meal?
(I have no idea of the menu pricing at KFC.)

With regards to your Meter at work. (& reference to previous losses thereof.) You could carry the meter about your person? disability employment laws in the work place, "reasonable adjustment" & all that... ;)

Regards.

J>

I need to change chemist's as mine is just hopeless, they never get anything right and now I have to wait till Friday to get strips. I've given up on metformin for months, but I'm still having gut problems and my doctors won't do anything about it.

As for my KFC staff meal, I normally have salad pot meal or anything under £4 which is either a burger meal or have several lowered priced items like the wrap for £1.50 or a sundae for 80p. Soft drinks are free and Pepsi is the only full sugar drink, everything else is low or no sugar and I'm not allowed hot drinks, so no tea or coffee.

As for my meter, I can't have any personal possessions on me when I'm working, everything has to be in the staff room and if I'm working a 4 hour shift, I have no break. If it's 8 hours, then I get 30 minutes unless I'm on a split shift and have a hour or two off.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't help with the insulin as I have no knowledge but just wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss - well done! :)

As to the meter you need to speak to HR or your line manager about this as it's medical equipment necessary for you to manage your condition and you need it on you at all times- would they ask a person who needed a stick to walk to leave it in their locker? Or someone who wears a hearing aid to not wear it at work - even someone who wears glasses not to wear them? It amounts to the same thing

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As for my meter, I can't have any personal possessions on me when I'm working, everything has to be in the staff room and if I'm working a 4 hour shift, I have no break. If it's 8 hours, then I get 30 minutes unless I'm on a split shift and have a hour or two off.

Dude! Trust me on this. I've had many different jobs in a variety of sectors. I'm aware of mobile phone & personal cash security protocols on the "shop floor." (It is reasonable to comply in this instance. it covers everyone's back.)
But health wise..?
During inductions i simply explain i am a T1 diabetic & thus carry my insulin, meter & a certain amount of discrete hypo treatment.. You will be surprised how they back up on the general policy & are quite understanding given the chance.. :) HR know the score. ;)

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't help with the insulin as I have no knowledge but just wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss - well done! :)

As to the meter you need to speak to HR or your line manager about this as it's medical equipment necessary for you to manage your condition and you need it on you at all times- would they ask a person who needed a stick to walk to leave it in their locker? Or someone who wears a hearing aid to not wear it at work - even someone who wears glasses not to wear them? It amounts to the same thing

I've already spoken to my manager about it, but because the other workers with diabetes are ok with the rules (two of them are young type 1's and three are type 2), he thinks that I should be.

Everyone in my life seems to be against me. My family, the doctors and nurses, my work colleagues, even the local diabetes UK meeting that I go to every week now tell me to just eat normally.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've already spoken to my manager about it, but because the other workers with diabetes are ok with the rules (two of them are young type 1's and three are type 2), he thinks that I should be.

Everyone in my life seems to be against me. My family, the doctors and nurses, my work colleagues, even the local diabetes UK meeting that I go to every week now tell me to just eat normally.

The NHS advice to eat "normally" is very wrong mate.

The advice is outdated.

The correct advice for diabetics is to eat low-carb, high fat to achieve normal blood glucose levels, go on remission and to avoid complications later on in life.