this website's advice on ketogenic diets

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone - i am a little confused having read the info on this website regarding a ketogenic diet. It advises no more than 50g of protein per day - it is such a tiny amount, shouldn't it be at each meal? Wouldn't

50g be something like one egg per day?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am keto. 20g carbs per day. Meat, as much as I can eat. I don't look at any other breakdowns. Eggs are great almost zero carbs.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone - i am a little confused having read the info on this website regarding a ketogenic diet. It advises no more than 50g of protein per day - it is such a tiny amount, shouldn't it be at each meal? Wouldn't

Advice on protein intake varies a great deal depending on the source of the advice, and the person eating the protein. I doubt if anyone would say that a 130kg 190cm tall fit young male athlete requires the same protein intake as a 50kg petite sedentary woman.

Regarding your question about the egg.
Eggs are made up of a lot more than protein, so there is approx 8g of protein in one, with the rest being made up of water, fats, vits and mins.
https://www.egginfo.co.uk/egg-nutrition-and-health/egg-nutrition-information

So even if someone were only eating 50g protein a day, they could eat 6 average sized eggs, and still be under their target intake.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: urbanracer

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi there Julie - Could you please post the link where you read the 50gr protein information?

That would help me understand where your concerns are coming from. If the page is misleading or not quite right, I can raise it for correction.

Thanks!

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I’ve read it in passing, where too much protein is not optimal for ketosis. I’ll have to find a link. There’s chart with an island area of ketosis... too much protein and your out.

I didn’t think it represents everyone, I.e. someone carrying around extra weight can probably up the protein. I’m probably eating more protein than recommended because I’m strength training

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Eggs have 6g of protein each so you could eat plenty of omlette but should try and vary your sources.
As to 50g being the limit that will depend on your:
Age (older people digest protein less well so need more and more so if taking omeprazole or anything reducing stoach acid)
Activity level - very active people need more
Ranges given in guides range from 0.8g per kg of body weight up to 2g or a more visual guide (look at your fist and imagine 3 portions of that size)
If you are eating it as a whole food e.g. packaged up with its natural fats (not protein powder or skinless chicken) then I do not think you will run into any problems if you eat to your appetite. After all you hear of people binging on bread or chocolate but never steak!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think some people also confuse the weight of an egg, for example, and the weight of the protein inside the egg.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I find that too much protein takes me out of ketosis. I am particularly sensitive to the amount of protein I eat, presumably because my gloconeogenesis is very effective and turns all the spare protein into glucose.
My target for protein is 60g/day, which roughly ties into the recommended figure of 0.8 g/day/kilo of body weight.