Type 1 Thrush

aileenmoore00

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone this is a bit of a personal one, so calling all women out there.

So for the last 8 months I’ve had recurring thrush, something I’ve never experienced before. Doctors have said it’s related to the diabetes although I’ve never had particularly good control! I’ve been given treatment for 6 months although have been told it’s likely to return. It’s massively impacted my sex life as it has become unbareable.

Anyone else experienced this? Is it diabetes related? Any tips or advice appreciated

D

Deleted Account

I experienced thrush when I was first diagnosed but, when my BG was reduced, the thrush went away.
It was explained to me as a result of the sugar in my pee changing the ph and causing the infection.
If your BG is will managed, your situation is different to mine and may not be diabetes related.

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

So for the last 8 months I’ve had recurring thrush, something I’ve never experienced before. Doctors have said it’s related to the diabetes although I’ve never had particularly good control! I’ve been given treatment for 6 months although have been told it’s likely to return. It’s massively impacted my sex life as it has become unbareable.

Anyone else experienced this? Is it diabetes related? Any tips or advice appreciated
Hi
Like Helensaramay, I only had thrush at diagnosis when my blood sugars were mega high. Remember thrush is a yeast infection that thrives on high blood sugar. Maybe if you can stabilise your levels you will get the better of thrush. I have never had it since.
Good luck

Reactions: Brunneria

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
Like Helensaramay, I only had thrush at diagnosis when my blood sugars were mega high. Remember thrush is a yeast infection that thrives on high blood sugar. Maybe if you can stabilise your levels you will get the better of thrush. I have never had it since.
Good luck

I had it too just before I was diagnosed with type 2 and I’m a male

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I sympathise the drug I was on made it worse, now I'm on insulin and have better control it has gone away.
Hope it stays away for you.
Take care

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I had it too just before I was diagnosed with type 2 and I’m a male
I sympathise @barriebanana I had it many times when my HbA1c levels were high. My GP always reminded me that it is by no means a female only affliction and can often be started by the male....

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin

I had this for about a year before being diagnosed as ‘diabetic’ (confirmation of type still awaited). On diagnosis My hba1c was 103. I hadn’t realised that thrush could have been a sign of the diabetes.... :banghead:

Since getting better control and going on insulin the problem has gone away :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @aileenmoore00 unfortunately as others members have pointed out it goes hand in hand with high glucose levels, so keeping your levels within range is a good starting point to avoiding this, are you getting any support in helping you to manage your levels ?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@aileenmoore00 - I've fortunately only suffered thrush a couple of times, and for me, it was after a course of antibiotics. Anyway, my comment to you would be; if you have had recurrent thrush, and are sexually active, it is very important your partner is treated too - whether or not he is showing any symptoms. Thrush can be handed back and forth between sexual partners if both aren't treated

If in the past you have been treated with a cream, or pessary only, it could be useful to ask your Doc if there's a tablet you can take alongside that to fight it on all fronts.

Of course, it's not the most romantic thing, but then, nor is thrush. It was vile, if I recall correctly

ninaleonard78

ive had thrush for the last year really bad for the last 6 months, swab after swab done and treatment....had a treatment for bv then thrush and my diabetes diagnoses....touch wood no problems since...my sex life went out the window too.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've had thrush several times (T1 since age 8) - sometimes I didn't even know I had it and was told when I had a cervical smear done. It's definitely made more likely by high blood sugars, I haven't had it for the last few years when my hba1c has been slightly lower than it used to be. (And for some reason, I had it after both my pregnancies.)

But definitely treat your partner too (if male, consistent use of condoms should theoretically mean he doesn't have it), and be aware that it can be passed on through towels etc....

Good luck

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
yes a problem for me too when i had high blood sugars, once i got it under control and had the treatment it went away , I also found that taking carbs and sugar out of my diet keeps it away because it is my understanding that thrush thrives on sugar . Hope you are okay and hope it clears up . Treat your partner too as others have suggested .

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
I had terrible thrush problems I kept tight control , myself had tablets , cream and partner treated but only after I changed my diet I eventually managed to control the problems , for me I avoided high sugars which feed yeasts so marmite , mushrooms and bread were avoided . Luckily I don’t drink .