Tips on how to be a Type 2 diabetic

ian1968

I thought it might be useful to have a thread where the more experienced T2 diabetics give tips on how to be a diabetic for us newbies. So could we have one tip per poster please? Just something small - a little trick, or habit, or something you've discovered that makes your life a lot easier.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the wording "tips on how to be a type 2 diabetic" may be incorrect, it should be more like "tips on how to cope with type 2 diabetes" sounds better. No ones wants to be type 2 diabetic.

My tip:

Sugar free jelly and double cream for pudding. Almost carb free and tasty.

MaryJ

My biggest problem is when I'm out and about working and need lunch quickly - because of time restraints not health reasons!

So I learnt to Plan, so I'm not caught out on the hoof. Remember, not all establishments are helpful to low-carbers. My thoughts here go to supermarkets where there sandwich and snack section is near the door for a quick purchase.

apart from a pack of 2 boiled eggs or sushi you would struggle to find anything low carb, every salad pot has pasta. Some less than others.

So it takes time to go into the store and buy from the salad bar/meat counter.

Better still take a packed lunch, otherwise the temptation for a sandwich is HIGH

Mary x

Kazley

my tip for how to cope with diabetes is ...
Acceptance - just cause you can't see diabetes doesn't mean its not there.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Tip 1 : Realise you're in it for the long haul so make sure you chose a sustainable life style that keeps you safe.

Tip 2 : Recognise how selfish an act it would be if you ignore your condition. Why expect partners and family to deal with the grief you will cause if you don't get on top of things

Tip 3 : Have fun now and then and don't feel guilty about it!

ian1968

BioHaZarD said:
My tip:

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Simple tips like this are really inspiring.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ian1968 said:
BioHaZarD said:
My tip:

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Simple tips like this are really inspiring.

Lol, if you want to make it really indulgent put a dollop of clotted cream in there too :wink:

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pepperoni. Individually packed sticks are great for tucking in a pocket or handbag if you are going out and not sure where you can pick up something safe to eat.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
If you need a snack - mixed nuts.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My tip is:
keep blood glucose LOW[around 5] forget the "up to 7" after meals. It's too high!
Hana

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hanadr said:
My tip is:
keep blood glucose LOW[around 5] forget the "up to 7" after meals. It's too high!
Hana

+1, yeah I agree try to keep it as low as you can, I hate going to 7.0 or over, I try to keep as near as 6.0 as my body allows with only 1 Metformin in the morning, I am seeing more and more 5.8 and 5.9's the more I stay good, so hoping to be lower in the times ahead.

Grazer

Tip 1: Eat, test, adjust diet accordingly
Tip 2: Eat, test, adjust diet accordingly
Tip 3: Eat, test, adjust diet accordingly

You get my point!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
(Dietary) fat is your friend.

ian1968

I'm going to hazard a tip based on things I've read on here. Please let me know if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

It's a good idea to have a small snack just before bedtime. This will help counter the nocturnal "liver dump" which could actually raise your BG while you sleep. A good snack is....any suggestions?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
ian1968 said:
I'm going to hazard a tip based on things I've read on here. Please let me know if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

It's a good idea to have a small snack just before bedtime. This will help counter the nocturnal "liver dump" which could actually raise your BG while you sleep. A good snack is....any suggestions?

Lard.