• Accu-Check Insight

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

GinaPrice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and am hoping you can help!

Having suffered from lots of Hypos and 3 comas I have been considering changing to a pump for 6 months. Today my nurse told me that I meet the criteria and just need to give the go ahead to move forward. There are 3 pumps available in my area and I would appreciate anyone completing my little poll and giving any other feedback.

Thanks in advance :)

D

Deleted Account

I have no experience of the pumps you have on offer so cannot respond to your survey.

But, as a pumper for the last 18 months (on an Animas Vibe), I can comment on the title of your thread: pumping can definitely reduce the number of hypos. However, it does not do this for free:
- to start with you may go throughs some ups and downs as your settings are sorted out. The pump has far more configuration points as it allows you to set different basal for different times of the day and getting these right requires (educated) trial and error.
- there is more of a risk of high BG if your canula and "set" is not correct. This scared me the first time it happened but I have become more alert to a problem.
- the pump does not give you less hypos for nothing: you hav eto carb count more accurately and may find the need to "tweak" your basal due to exercise, stress, etc.

Would I go back to MDI? If I had a choice (which, in theory, I do) I would stick with the pump.
If I was told I MUST go back to MDI, I would be more upset by the cost cuts (why else would I need to change) than the medical impact.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @GinaPrice i don't really see how doing a poll on what pumps people use will help you choose a pump for you. You are the key factor in choosing a pump for you.

The most important factor for you in pumping appears to be reducing hypos.

Will you be funded for the enlite CGM? Or would you consider self funding a CGM? Be warned, continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) is costly.

The Medtronic 640 when run with the CGM, with which it integrates, does have a predictive low suspend feature. When the CGM thinks you are heading low it will suspend the insulin delivery until it's decided you are going up sufficiently, or two hours has expired.

I'm currently using the Medtronic 640 for the low suspend feature. The pump is fine. I'm not particularly enamoured with it, by any stretch of the imagination. I think its bulky and I find it difficult to wear dresses with it. Although you can remote bolus with it, you can't remotely use the bolus calculator. I'm not at all sold on the accuracy of the CGM sensors - they don't work in my abdomen, which is where Medtronic want you to wear them. The bolus increments are teeny tiny, going down to 0.025 units. The screen's good and the menus on the pump are pretty intuitive to navigate.

I have also used an omnipod. I did love the omnipod. I found the pods perfectly comfortable to wear, I liked the automatic cannula insertion. The bolus increments don't go down as small as Medtronic only down to 0.05 units. The PDM is good and easy to use. It's easy to use it as your record of the day.

Ask your DSN if there are demo pumps available so you can actually have a chance to see and handle each of the pumps, press the buttons and actually hold the pumps/wear an omnipod. That's the best way of getting an idea of which one would suit you best. If you can't get that oppotunity, do a search for them on YouTube to see videos of people siting and wearing the pumps.

Pumping is recommended to try and reduce hypos. Getting the basal rate set to a dosage that accurately suits you is important. Pumping gives you the opportunity to do that. You can also use temporary basal rates when pumping, and that can help with hypos. Bolus delivery on a pump is also much more accurate - you don't need to round up to a unit or half a unit.

Do get hold of a copy of John Walsh's pumping insulin book to prepare for moving to a pump. It like a text book on what you should know to use an insulin pump properly.

Last edited:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would appreciate anyone completing my little poll and giving any other feedback.

Not sure what the poll is about, however I've been using the Omnipod Pump since Feb 2015 and have to say its a great little pump, I originally chose it as it's a tubeless pump but I'd imagine the other pumps on offer to you will have there advantages too @GinaPrice

If you go to YouTube and enter the make of the pumps you've been offered you'll find some good user feedback, that's where I looked pre-pump. Good luck.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @GinaPrice unfortunately type 1's in many areas are not given a choice in what pump they can access, they simply use what's on offer from their regional trust so conducting a poll won't necessarily tell you anything useful except how many people use each pump, I only had access to the Medtronic pump which I think for me it's great but then I have no gauge against the functionality of other pumps. Using a pump will help reduce hypos in so much as you can finely tune the basal and carb insulin ratios as you use small 0.1 units of insulin rather rounding up to 0.5 or 1 unit on your pen, however any pump will require a huge amount of work at the front end over time to adjust the settings. Using a CGM as suggested by @catapillar is the ideal scenario for you, however the question will be if you can get funding for this, you will need to ask your team if this is a possibility ?

GinaPrice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @GinaPrice i don't really see how doing a poll on what pumps people use will help you choose a pump for you. You are the key factor in choosing a pump for you.

The most important factor for you in pumping appears to be reducing hypos.

Will you be funded for the enlite CGM? Or would you consider self funding a CGM? Be warned, continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) is costly.

The Medtronic 640 when run with the CGM, with which it integrates, does have a predictive low suspend feature. When the CGM thinks you are heading low it will suspend the insulin delivery until it's decided you are going up sufficiently, or two hours has expired.

I'm currently using the Medtronic 640 for the low suspend feature. The pump is fine. I'm not particularly enamoured with it, by any stretch of the imagination. I think its bulky and I find it difficult to wear dresses with it. Although you can remote bolus with it, you can't remotely use the bolus calculator. I'm not at all sold on the accuracy of the CGM sensors - they don't work in my abdomen, which is where Medtronic want you to wear them. The bolus increments are teeny tiny, going down to 0.025 units. The screen's good and the menus on the pump are pretty intuitive to navigate.

I have also used an omnipod. I did love the omnipod. I found the pods perfectly comfortable to wear, I liked the automatic cannula insertion. The bolus increments don't go down as small as Medtronic only down to 0.05 units. The PDM is good and easy to use. It's easy to use it as your record of the day.

Ask your DSN if there are demo pumps available so you can actually have a chance to see and handle each of the pumps, press the buttons and actually hold the pumps/wear an omnipod. That's the best way of getting an idea of which one would suit you best. If you can't get that oppotunity, do a search for them on YouTube to see videos of people siting and wearing the pumps.

Pumping is recommended to try and reduce hypos. Getting the basal rate set to a dosage that accurately suits you is important. Pumping gives you the opportunity to do that. You can also use temporary basal rates when pumping, and that can help with hypos. Bolus delivery on a pump is also much more accurate - you don't need to round up to a unit or half a unit.

Do get hold of a copy of John Walsh's pumping insulin book to prepare for moving to a pump. It like a text book on what you should know to use an insulin pump properly.
Thank for your feedback. I did the poll just as a gauge really as to most used pumps.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Going by your hypos and subsequent comas the pump couldn't come quickly enough for you really, assuming your sensitive to insulin as opposed to wrongly dosing.....;)..

you should go for it..